High school baseball umpires

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Registered to do some work for the IHSAA this year. Any advice on chest protectors, leg guards, face masks, and other device that is a must have for the new guy?

What is the best way to go about finding work? Any other advice?

Thanks

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'd recommend getting the flap that hangs from the mask to cover your throat, and make sure your chest protector covers your shoulders back to the inside of your collar bone. I know a bunch of umpires who wore steel toe shoes when I was catching in HS.

Additionally, if ADs need umpires, they'll consult the registry the IAHSAA puts out of umpires. Just make sure you're on there.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Registered to do some work for the IHSAA this year. Any advice on chest protectors, leg guards, face masks, and other device that is a must have for the new guy?

Thanks
Hey, quick question. can't find my rule book. Our little league plays by high school rules with a few provisions....anyway... we had a substitution question.

can a player bat without making an appearance in the field? Pinch hit?

I get confused going back an forth to little League tourneys

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames

Thanks

Call around to local HS athletic directors to find work...some of them may hire in a different way but a lot of them will just have games they need to fill and you will likely at least get a shot to work a couple and see how you do...

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Hey, quick question. can't find my rule book. Our little league plays by high school rules with a few provisions....anyway... we had a substitution question.

can a player bat without making an appearance in the field? Pinch hit?

I get confused going back an forth to little League tourneys

I believe you can withdraw a player once and re-enter them so long as they occupy same batting order. I think once the substituted player is pulled they are out for good.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
I have a couple of facemasks I would get rid of for $20 for the both of them. They have the throat protector on them.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Call around to local HS athletic directors to find work...some of them may hire in a different way but a lot of them will just have games they need to fill and you will likely at least get a shot to work a couple and see how you do...

I did this, I think I'm on the right track to find work. I would be more comfortable working games at the lower level (I played class 1a in high school). Thinking it would be best to start out doing some JH or JV games to get my feet wet.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
When a coach argues a call never say you missed it. It will be with you all year cause the coaches will ride that out. Take it from a former player who played the last couple years.

Last edited:

jaws90us

Nov 3, 2006
Just make sure you get good chest protector. If your doing lower level games you can get by with middle of road one, but any thing above Freshman level get the best one. I took a ball in the chest and I had bruise on my chest. Make sure you use plate shoes and any level. I get my stuff out of Ump-Attire.

Join an association is the best way to get games. There are several around the state. I am in the Iowa City Association and it has been great. We have rules meetings to better understand the rules as well as doing the proper mechanics.

They will also schedule you some games....

The only problem I am about the only Cyclone there!!!

Reactions: ISUboi12

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Definitely invest in some plate shoes for behind the plate, saved my toes many times. Also, get a lightweight mask that's not too heavy for your neck and definitely the throat protector.

tccoach

Apr 22, 2006
Iowa
Getting into an association will assure of you some games and also help with your scheduling, but if you are going it alone, if you are registered then you name will be in the AD's book and maybe making some contacts with AD's will help to get your name out there as a new Umpire...many AD's have their list of regulars, so just knowing that someone new is available will probably get you some work.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Try to find someone else to partner up with, even another newbie.

A friend and I both got into umpiring the same year (baseball and softball), so we teamed up as a crew -- ended up getting a bunch of games that way. Had several days that looked like this: Junior high softball DH at 9:30am in Town A, freshman baseball DH at 1:00 in Town B, and then JV/V (either sport) in Town C at 6:00.

Made for some brutal days in late June/early July, but the pay was good and there were enough small towns around where we weren't seeing the same teams every day. I think we covered about 11 different counties in just 2-3 seasons.

I would love to go back and work in that part of the state (mostly 1A and 2A schools). By FAR the worst group of people (players, coaches, parents, fans) I've ever encountered has been in 4A baseball (CIML).

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Appreciate the suggestions and info from everyone.

If there is one thing I am still unsure of... When you are suggesting a chest protector, what brand does everyone use? At a clinic a guy told me all-star makes the best equipment, but I am not seeing a lot of evidence to support that online. If I get nailed with a 80 mph fastball in the chest I don't want to feel it...

I am actively looking for a partner... It has been tough, I did not grow up in the area and school is approximately 90% female.... Plus it is grad school, so the majority of guys are weird and I am not comfortable inviting them to my life outside of academia.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
#1 if you get nailed in the chest, you need to sit further down behind the catcher :wink:
#2 I don't know if I've ever had a chest protector that I didn't at least feel it. It doesn't hurt, but you know it hit you.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
#1 if you get nailed in the chest, you need to sit further down behind the catcher :wink:
#2 I don't know if I've ever had a chest protector that I didn't at least feel it. It doesn't hurt, but you know it hit you.
Are you umpiring this summer?

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I would have to agree with the good throat protector and make sure your collarbones are protected. The throat and collarbones are the easiest places to get hit and some of the most painful.

I would also suggest a mask that you can easily remove and put back on so you can take it off quickly to be able to see whats going on.

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
Get on the local schools websites and contact the AD to get your name out. They will call and pair you up and you might also meet someone to partner with that way.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Appreciate the suggestions and info from everyone.

If there is one thing I am still unsure of... When you are suggesting a chest protector, what brand does everyone use? At a clinic a guy told me all-star makes the best equipment, but I am not seeing a lot of evidence to support that online. If I get nailed with a 80 mph fastball in the chest I don't want to feel it...

I am actively looking for a partner... It has been tough, I did not grow up in the area and school is approximately 90% female.... Plus it is grad school, so the majority of guys are weird and I am not comfortable inviting them to my life outside of academia.

When it comes to equipment, if you buy cheap equipment you get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to invest in high quality chest protectors, shin guards, and face mask. Don't dress like a slob. Make it a priority to look sharp for games.

It's hard to find a partner in year one. Join an association and work with a number of other rookies/young officials. You will find one that is a good match.

Go to clinics put on by the IAHSAA too.