High School Players

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Are they just not that knowledgable that if you have say 4 - 5 star recruits in the same position that they may never play in college? If I was a 5 star player I would look at other colleges that are not so deep and get that chance to play in the NFL. Just look at what Brandon Jacobs did. He was behind Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown back in 2003. He finished the year ranked second on the team with 72 carries for 446 yards (6.2 avg) and three touchdowns. Facing the prospect of being moved to linebacker the following year or stuck behind Brown and Williams on the depth chart, Jacobs chose to transfer out of Auburn. Then he went to Southern Illinois. Even though he still had to split time with Terry Jackson and Arkee Whitlock, he totaled 992 yards with sixteen touchdowns on 150 carries (6.6 avg), adding 83 yards on eight receptions (10.4 avg) and 140 yards on six kickoff returns (23.3 avg). I just cannot see why a 5 star player would want to sit on the bench and possibly never play in the NFL. Just because he played for a National Championship team while on the bench? Could someone please enlight me on why these kids do this?

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
i wonder that same in basketball. there are tons of kids that sit the bench at kansas but get a NC but play 8 mins the whole season. sounds like fun to me.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Players dont think like that, The guys that earn the 5 star ratings have the mindset that they are good enough to go in and start and they dont even consider the other guys. Its usually the mentality of a winner, its unfortunate but true.

tyrelrobert

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines,IA
I am sure for some of them it is the fact that they just won't be "handed" the job. Competition breeds better athletes and going to say USC and winning the starting job can really make you better. Coming to a smaller school and not having any competition may make some kids lazier IMO. God given talent can get you a college schollie but it takes a work ethic to make it any farther (i.e. Charles Rogers, Mike Williams.....)

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Kids don't think that way. They are 18/19 year olds and they have always been the best at their position. They think when they go to USC, Florida, Texas, etc that they will be the starter from day one and in the NFL in three years. They aren't thinking about how someone from across the country is going to be competing with them everyday for that same spot and that they might be better then them

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
As others have said, if you're a 4 or 5 star kid, you CAN start at one of the big time schools. If you want to be the best, you need to compete against the best. A 5 star kid at a lesser school is going to be essentially handed a starting job. A 5 star kid at USC is going to have to be the best of the best to make it.

So you can challenge yourself and go to a big school, or accept mediocrity and go to a smaller one.

Now career-wise, it might be a smarter move to go to a lesser school - especially if you're a highly motivated kid. If you dangle Florida, and winning 2 nat'l championships in 3 years, or USC and their recent success under a kid's nose, and say "you could start here if you work hard...and if you DO start, you'll know you're the best of the best", it's hard to turn that down.

And even the senior sitting 3 deep on the bench at Florida this year has 2 national championship rings to wear for the rest of his life....

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have thought the same thing many times. It is crazy to think about the amount of 4 or 5 start talent that sits the bench on some teams. Take Matt Cassel from New England. He sat behind Matt Leinart at USC and has now shown himself to be a legit NFL QB. He was one of the lucky ones who were drafted despite not playing.
If ISU could get a few of those guys to realize that they would get real PT here, it would be awesome. There are probably enough stellar athletes at the elite schools that, if spread out to the lower tier schools, would make college football that much better.
One thing I dislike is so many coaches promising PT when recruiting when they know the talent they already have.
Which would rather be, the scout team nobody, or the best player ever at ISU?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As others have said, if you're a 4 or 5 star kid, you CAN start at one of the big time schools. If you want to be the best, you need to compete against the best. A 5 star kid at a lesser school is going to be essentially handed a starting job. A 5 star kid at USC is going to have to be the best of the best to make it.

So you can challenge yourself and go to a big school, or accept mediocrity and go to a smaller one.

Now career-wise, it might be a smarter move to go to a lesser school - especially if you're a highly motivated kid. If you dangle Florida, and winning 2 nat'l championships in 3 years, or USC and their recent success under a kid's nose, and say "you could start here if you work hard...and if you DO start, you'll know you're the best of the best", it's hard to turn that down.

And even the senior sitting 3 deep on the bench at Florida this year has 2 national championship rings to wear for the rest of his life....

That Third String senior might end up selling cars while he wears his championship rings in stead of playing in the NFL if he had the chance to show his skills. I understand that beating the best makes you that much better, but if you get beat out by a guy who will be the first pick in the draft after he graduates, and you could have been drafted in the second round if you had a chance to play, aren't you still really good?
This isn't the days when you had to be on a great team to be seen on TV. If you excel at ISU with noone behind you, someone in the NFL will notice. Also, not every kid needs to be pushed by people behind him. Some guys can come in, start day one, and still reach their full potential.
Shame they don't try ISU every now and then.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I have thought the same thing many times. It is crazy to think about the amount of 4 or 5 start talent that sits the bench on some teams. Take Matt Cassel from New England. He sat behind Matt Leinart at USC and has now shown himself to be a legit NFL QB. He was one of the lucky ones who were drafted despite not playing.
If ISU could get a few of those guys to realize that they would get real PT here, it would be awesome. There are probably enough stellar athletes at the elite schools that, if spread out to the lower tier schools, would make college football that much better.
One thing I dislike is so many coaches promising PT when recruiting when they know the talent they already have.
Which would rather be, the scout team nobody, or the best player ever at ISU?

That Third String senior might end up selling cars while he wears his championship rings in stead of playing in the NFL if he had the chance to show his skills. I understand that beating the best makes you that much better, but if you get beat out by a guy who will be the first pick in the draft after he graduates, and you could have been drafted in the second round if you had a chance to play, aren't you still really good?
This isn't the days when you had to be on a great team to be seen on TV. If you excel at ISU with noone behind you, someone in the NFL will notice. Also, not every kid needs to be pushed by people behind him. Some guys can come in, start day one, and still reach their full potential.
Shame they don't try ISU every now and then.

And Matt Cassel is a great example as to why those kids can still sit on the bench and get to the NFL. Matt Cassel could have gone to a nondescript program, with nondescript talent all around him and done not a whole lot on the field and not have gotten a second look. Maybe the only reason he got a first look was that he was behind two other Heisman trophy winners.

Just because you are a starter at a "lesser" school doesn't mean you're going to have a better shot at the NFL. Matt Cassel was a backup to Carson Palmer the same year that Brad Banks started for Iowa and they played each other in the Orange Bowl.

The scouts are good at finding NFL talent these days. If you're good enough to play in the NFL, the odds are good that you'll get there. If you're not going to play professionally, would you rather have a helluva time in college, win a championship or two, and have the rest of your life to enjoy it?

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
And Matt Cassel is a great example as to why those kids can still sit on the bench and get to the NFL. Matt Cassel could have gone to a nondescript program, with nondescript talent all around him and done not a whole lot on the field and not have gotten a second look. Maybe the only reason he got a first look was that he was behind two other Heisman trophy winners.

Just because you are a starter at a "lesser" school doesn't mean you're going to have a better shot at the NFL. Matt Cassel was a backup to Carson Palmer the same year that Brad Banks started for Iowa and they played each other in the Orange Bowl.

The scouts are good at finding NFL talent these days. If you're good enough to play in the NFL, the odds are good that you'll get there. If you're not going to play professionally, would you rather have a helluva time in college, win a championship or two, and have the rest of your life to enjoy it?

I'm not sure if Cassel is the right person to pick out. He's an exception in the law of large numbers. Saying that most players that are drafted are those that actually started/played a reasonable amount in college. I get what the original poster was saying but it does come down to good players want to play for good teams. They thinking that they can go in a earn the position is a good thing. If the kid didn't think they could, I'm not sure if the coach would want them. (confidence)

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I cracked up at some high school kid in the Army All-American game. He made his college decision live on the side line. He said something to the effect of "...and the school I chose to spend my next 3 years is....." I don't remember who it was but I think he was a DB heading to West Virginia. Confidence is great, but I think quiet confidence is better.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
I believe that an NFL scout will find you, wherever you are, if you have what it takes to play at the next level. Those people are paid to find you. They make hundreds, of phone calls, and someone on every football staff in the country, has an affiliation with the NFL or has a contact that has that affiliation.
I think that Bo Williams chose to come to Iowa State so that he could run, because that is what he does.............. and I don't think or feel that he accepted mediocrity, in doing so.(in coming here)

Go Cyclones:yes: