Highway robbery

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Lets see how long this can survive outside of the cave.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I was debating which place to put this in, but I figured it could stay away from politics since it is just about police robbing people during traffic stops.

I really don't see how anyone could side with the cops if the allegations are true.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I was debating which place to put this in, but I figured it could stay away from politics since it is just about police robbing people during traffic stops.

I really don't see how anyone could side with the cops if the allegations are true.

not side with but argue their political affiliation and dragging that into the conversation.

I agree... it could stay in the off-topic.... but will it :mask:?

-keep

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Well you know what they say...everythings bigger in Texas. Wait I guess that doesnt apply to this, so all I have to say is that if they are anything like this Texas Ranger I would gladly turnover my valuables.

walker.jpg

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
Staying apolitical, any time the police find several thousand dollars in cash during a traffic stop, there's a good chance that money is connected to illegal purposes.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Staying apolitical, any time the police find several thousand dollars in cash during a traffic stop, there's a good chance that money is connected to illegal purposes.

True but they are supposed to give it back if they are cleared of wrong doing like the people suing this department.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
This just in:

Chuck Norris appointed Tenaha Police Chief. Roundhouse kicks reported in the area.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
True but they are supposed to give it back if they are cleared of wrong doing like the people suing this department.

Oh, yeah, these cops are definitely crooked. There's little reason to stop a car for going 37 in a 35 (unless there was something else going on, and the story doesn't say the guy was charged with anything else). There's even less reason to then search that car during the stop to find the thousands of dollars in cash. But the moral of the story is, don't travel with large amounts of cash.

pthebutcher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2006
Portland
But the moral of the story is, don't travel with large amounts of cash.

Um, really? This sounds similar to telling girls to not dress sexy because they might get raped. Perhaps the analogy is a bit drastic but I think you can see my point.

There is nothing wrong with carrying lots of cash and you certainly shouldn't have to worry about idiot police stealing it. I think the moral of the story is....hmmm...well...I don't know, sometimes there are bad people out there?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Um, really? This sounds similar to telling girls to not dress sexy because they might get raped. Perhaps the analogy is a bit drastic but I think you can see my point.

There is nothing wrong with carrying lots of cash and you certainly shouldn't have to worry about idiot police stealing it. I think the moral of the story is....hmmm...well...I don't know, sometimes there are bad people out there?

+1

And what is considered a large amount of cash? 200? 500? 1000? 2000?

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I see they are taking lessons from the Mexican Federales. This kind of thing happens a lot in Mexico, especially the border areas.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The supreme court just ruled that the searches that generally turn this money up are illegal.

The police can ONLY search your car if they have probable cause that there is a crime being committed, or if there is evidence that would require a search of the vehicle in question that would support the crime you were pulled over for (speeding, seatbelt violation etc). They cannot just search your car because you're pulled over for speeding anymore. They could still get a warrant to search if they wanted to, but they actually require a warrant issued from a judge. They can't just search the car because they feel like it.

And I honestly don't care if people are carrying around large sums of money. Since when is that illegal? I don't care if it came from drugs. Prove a crime has been committed, and I have no problem with it. The problem is that cops (Dallas county is real bad at this) just pull people over, say they will let you go if they can keep the car/cash and then do just that.

Are the people generally "baddies"? Maybe. It doesn't invalidate their right to due process, though, and it puts the Police department in the position of judge, jury and 'executioner' if you will. Not to mention the potential for abuse (ala WDM's police chief).

This sort of thing is disgusting, IMO, and the 'police officers' in question should be in prison.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA

You shouldn't have to lock your front door at night to keep idiot crooks from stealing your stuff, either. Some things are common sense. I can't think of any reason to travel with thousands of dollars in cash. If you're traveling to buy something, get a cashier's check. That way you can cancel it if it gets lost, stolen, or destroyed.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You shouldn't have to lock your front door at night to keep idiot crooks from stealing your stuff, either. Some things are common sense. I can't think of any reason to travel with thousands of dollars in cash. If you're traveling to buy something, get a cashier's check. That way you can cancel it if it gets lost, stolen, or destroyed.

Is it against the law to do so?

I can't think of any reason to doit, but I also can't think of any reason to buy Anheuiser-Bush Products. It doesn't mean you should be arrested, or have your property confiscated for doing something that's not illegal. If there's been a crime committed, by all means prosecute. If you don't have enough evidence to do so, then let it go.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

travel how far? what if I go to Prairie Meadow and have 1K on me and it takes me 1 hours to get there???

Your logic behind this scares me ........ don't carry large amounts of cash and girls shouldn't wear short skirts.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
Is it against the law to do so?

I can't think of any reason to doit, but I also can't think of any reason to buy Anheuiser-Bush Products. It doesn't mean you should be arrested, or have your property confiscated for doing something that's not illegal. If there's been a crime committed, by all means prosecute. If you don't have enough evidence to do so, then let it go.

I don't disagree with anything you said. The police who confiscated the cash in the linked story sound crooked and should be prosecuted if it's true. It's certainly legal to carry large amounts of cash. I'm just saying that carrying large amounts of cash is a foolish thing to do because things happen. Apparently crooked cops is one of those "things."

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
travel how far? what if I go to Prairie Meadow and have 1K on me and it takes me 1 hours to get there???

Your logic behind this scares me ........ don't carry large amounts of cash and girls shouldn't wear short skirts.

Serious question because I don't know, if you win $1000 at Prairie Meadows, do they give you cash or a check? I'm assuming that if you win a large jackpot, they don't just give you cash.