Hilton Head Island

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Looking to take a trip here in September. Anyone visited?

Recommendations on activities, restaurants, golf courses? Also interested in visiting Charleston and Savannah. Thanks!

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Going in June - first time to Hilton Head. We rented a townhouse for a week can't wait to go.

Charleston is fantastic - super easy to navigate, great downtown, tons of places to eat. One of my all time favorite places to visit.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Never been, but a guy I used to work with took his family there for 2 weeks one summer and loved the hell out of it.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Hilton Head is a busy but clean and pretty beach town. Great place to go with a family, but not a great party scene. I'd go here if your main focus is the beach.

Savannah has all the southern charm you could ask for with a fun downtown along the river, also has a neat beach town down the road called Tybee Island. I'd go here for the party scene.

Charleston has some southern charm as well as is typical considered one of the nicer cities in the South both from aesthetics and the people's kindness. I haven't been to their beaches and really haven't heard too much about them. I'd go here for the "one size fits all" experience.

Personally, Savannah is my favorite of the 3, but mainly because you can barhop and drink outside along the river downtown!

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Love Hilton Head. My sister has a little rental home 2 blocks from the beach right near the middle of the island. Plenty to do, great beach, shops, restaurants, ect. 45 minutes to Savanaha. Pm me if you need a lead for a nice, middle range place to stay.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a buddy who lived there full time for about 10 years. HIlls just about killed him on RAGBRAI because the bridge to the island was the only "hill" around for training.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you are into history Charleston and Savannah are both great. You typically associate them with Civil war history but both have a lot of Colonial history.
Charleston- Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon is pretty cool.
Savannah- Eat at Mrs Smiths- NOT Paula Deans. 2 very cool cemeteries. AND open container law . woot woot

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Thanks for the info! Bumping for any other recommendations....

I've read some of the areas on Hilton Head require admittance, like Harbour Town? Any places you suggest definitely going to or not bothering? There will be 8 of us, all adults. Just looking to experience the whole area. Visit the beaches, enjoy restaurants, do some golfing, learn some history, etc. I would call our rental house part of the SE portion of the island along S Forest Beach Dr. Is fishing allowed on the beaches?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Thanks for the info! Bumping for any other recommendations....

I've read some of the areas on Hilton Head require admittance, like Harbour Town? Any places you suggest definitely going to or not bothering? There will be 8 of us, all adults. Just looking to experience the whole area. Visit the beaches, enjoy restaurants, do some golfing, learn some history, etc. I would call our rental house part of the SE portion of the island along S Forest Beach Dr. Is fishing allowed on the beaches?

Harbour town cost like 5 or 10 bucks per car. Nice part of the island. Worth it.

Lots of shops, good food and relaxation all over the island. You will have a great time. Take a day trip to Savannah.

Help Support Us

Become a patron