Hinterland 2019

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The average person, people who only listen to what they hear on their local radio, doesn't know much about a lot of the bands that play at Hinterland. People who go out of their way to prove how cool they are because they listen to music most people haven't heard of are definitely annoying. You've made it perfectly clear how you feel about it at this point so is it ok if we talk about the festival without you reminding us every few posts?

Agree. We invited some friends from eastern Iowa to come out for last year's show, a few who were familiar with many of the bands did, but most others didn't because it was the same weekend as CR's Newbo Evolve thing. I was pretty surprised that they seriously preferred seeing Kelly Clarkson and Maroon5 to Sturgill, Rateliff, Childers, Margo, CHVRCHES, etc., but they didn't know who they were. Clarkson and Maroon5 are mainstream, Hinterland's lineup not.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This whole scene is like

Guy 1: you’ve got to hear this new band that nobody knows about the live show is so great too

Guy 2: everyone knows about them. They are playing at Hinterland not the Hull Ave Tavern

Make sense? This is mainstream music but the fans of it think it is like some small knit scene that no ones knows about outside of a select few.

Most of the bands that I see in these line ups have been around for eons...if anything it's just cool that they're playing a little known festival and I think that's what people get excited about.

Ryan Adams is going on what, 30 years, of making very popular music.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't know. I guess I'd put them in the same class as Sturgill Simpson or Ryan Adams, but maybe they're bigger than I realize. I do know it's been a while since they've toured or released a new album so it's probably just wishful thinking.

I missed the first year of the festival so I'd be thrilled to see St. Paul and the Broken Bones come back through. Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats were a blast last year and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real would be a fun get, too.

I know that Rateliff is doing some dates with Florence + the Machine (which would be an amazing, yet very odd show): https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/florence-and-the-machine-announce-2019-north-american-tour/

They were just great live. I know he had committed to doing GARP at Codfish Hollow each year, and I think he even did it last year when he was also doing Hinterland... so I would bet that he would think about it!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Last year was basically my dream lineup and I couldn't make it due to the birth of a child, so I'm cool if they just want to run it back.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So is it actually being announced today? I guess I'm not seeing anything saying as such.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Saturday will be good. Jason Isabell, St Paul and John Moreland. I'm sold.

Kacey Musgraves may make Friday worth seeing.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's my immediate reaction as well. At first glance I'm not super excited, but more because the main acts are just not my thing. In terms of overall quality they're good gets. Should draw a really diverse crowd of music fans.

Yep, I thought the same about the main acts. I enjoy Jason Isbell, but he's a little more country than I listen to most often. But St Paul, Dead South, etc. are pretty fantastic.

I don't care for Hozier much at all, but Kacey Musgraves is good. I just don't know that I'll hit the other days besides Saturday. I like the Sunday acts, but have already seen many of them.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
DypvWxUWoAA3YF4.jpg

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Pretty weak lineup IMO for their "anniversary" year. Was really hoping for Vampire Weekend since they're putting out a new album. Several real quality acts, but nothing like Sturgill, Nathaniel Rateliff, Gary Clark Jr., Head and the Heart, Dwight, etc. Oh well, I'll still go all three days if it's reasonably priced.

• Dislike
Reactions: jburke

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
I like Kacey and Jade Bird on day one. Day two is very solid for me. Everytime I've wanted to see Isbell something has come up, so that really excites me. Only Brett Cobb interests me on Day 3, so unless he plays early I'll probably skip that day.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
God ******* dammit. I’ve been waiting for Jason Isbell to come back to Iowa on a Friday or Saturday night for like 4 years. And when he finally does? He comes on the due date for my wife’s pregnancy.

• Friendly

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
God ******* dammit. I’ve been waiting for Jason Isbell to come back to Iowa on a Friday or Saturday night for like 4 years. And when he finally does? He comes on the due date for my wife’s pregnancy.

They have a medical tent at the festival. Tell your wife to suck it up.

Seriously, that sucks. My wife and I missed Ray Lamontagne and Willie Nelson a few years ago because the festival occurred within a week or two of the due date for our second child.

Help Support Us

Become a patron