Holy **** that’s a big win

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Great win. Though what exactly is our strategy with regards to clock management with a big lead or do we have none? It seemed like after every Texas made basket, we would inbound the ball as quickly as possible instead of taking our time since the clock is running. We also take shots early in the shot clock when we could use more. Seems like we don't have a clear strategy in these situations which is why we always blow big leads.
Disagree, the reason they allowed texas back in the game late was because they were using up too much clock and the ball got sticky and they weren't tossing it around and inside to get better shots, instead they settled on deep late clock shots, thus resulting in Texas rebounds and points at the other end. That and easily 5 missed bunnies under the basket.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
IF ISU can hold serve at home and just split the road games that are left they will finish 13-5 which would be the high water mark for any ISU team since the conference went to 18 games, and only one conference win shy of the legendary LE team in 2000. That is pretty wild if one considers how much tougher the Big 12 is now compared to literally anyone else playing basketball across the country this year. This is probably one of the greatest ISU basketball teams of all time, without much hyperbole.

However, I don't see two more losses to Houston unless we deliver one to them on their home court. Maybe Baylor can catch them on an off night in Waco. They do have KU left on their home floor which will be a good game, I just don't think Self has enough to go in there and get that one. It's going to be tough to get past them this year. Can we expect the guys to go 8-1 the rest of the way, with one of the wins being Houston in their barn? That's what it will probably take to win the Big 12 title.

That .1 seconds in Waco looms large now that I'm looking at the rest of the schedules.
Yeah, the baylor one stings, especially since it was in their grasp. I hope the shared title/winning outright wouldn't be because of .2 seconds or missed FTs.

The team could absolutely take care of business and go 8-1. All those games are definitely winnable, with @houston being the toughest, but clearly this team has morphed a little from earlier in the season by playing better on the road. @cincy, @UCF, @KSU and home BYU will definitely pose challenges, but team keeps getting more confident and have strong starts in the games, then who knows at this point.

Houston definitely has an easier schedule/remaining schedule, but they could slip too with not being used to the grind. ISU, Baylor and KU are fully capable of stealing one.

This team just has to get better at FTs and closing games out with continuous ball movement. Their defense is so solid that they should be in every game. Such a drastic turn from last year knowing ISU has multiple ways of scoring.

Last edited:

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
All games in this conference are tough, but I think At Cincinnati is particularly sneaky tough. They are on every last 4 in/first 4 out list. They're decent and will be desperate.