Home DIY

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
As a DIYer, do you have some knowledge, full knowledge or "Never done it, but I think I can YouTube it and do it"? We're in the some to full knowledge category, depends on what it is.

Over the years we've had to fix what other DIYers have done. Electrical wires spliced together & wrapped with electrical tape. A bathroom addition that had a furnace vent but it wasn't attached to the furnace ductwork (not even close). A big hole in the wall the owner strategically placed a large piece of furniture in front of to hide during the showing & inspection. Kitchen cabinets that are not level and from one end to the other are almost 1" off. Thank goodness that's in the basement and not very noticeable. After I noticed it, I had to get out the level and prove it to my husband.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
ive youtubed a bunch of things before to help me fix things around the house. works out pretty well.

guess its my way of teaching myself and using youtube as the crutch

Reactions: CascadeClone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm just not patient enough to produce good quality work. I've also been in so many situations where "Why the hell didn't I pay to get this done". Every once in a while I'll work on a project and it will come out great with no issues, it's those types of projects that make me think I can do stuff that I probably shouldn't be doing.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I have a construction background, and related to that, I was the field super who came in to figure out how to solve the weird issues or complaints (whatever they may be), so the combination made me very confident in my ability to work on almost anything. I'm also really good at finding the information I might be missing.

Having said that, I've done enough projects to know when it's something that I should just hire a pro to do, as some more complex things really have a learning curve (and also a required tool budget to do them right).

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
I'd like to find the DIY asshat that did the plumbing and HVAC work in my house. Basement has 3 vents total and they aren't where they should be. I've had to fix numerous plumbing leaks, usually from improperly installed compression fittings. A large window and patio door were installed by the people we bought the house from. We quickly found out they didn't seal or insulate around those.

I have enough home construction experience that I've made all repairs myself. I'll watch youtube videos to replace a heating unit in a dryer or replace a garage door spring. I was watching a video to repair an air compressor and the first thing the guy did was use a jig saw to cut the plastic housing off the motor because he didn't have a long enough screw driver to properly remove it. I quit watching.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Having a relative, buddy, or friend of a friend that can come by get you started and give you a few pointers specific to your project can be huge in addition to YouTube.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I have relied on YouTube for a few things -- replaced all the hardware in the back of two of our toilets, cleaned the thermopile on our gas fireplace, etc. I need to replace our outdoor spigot in the next few weeks -- just need to find the energy and time -- and will probably rely on the internets for that.

But there are some things I'm afraid to attempt even with YouTube -- mostly anything that could result in flooding or electrical issues. A family friend installed a ceiling fan, replaced a whole toilet for us, and replace the washers in our kitchen faucet.

I wish I was handier, but I'm proud of the things I have attempted and completed.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I'm just not patient enough to produce good quality work. I've also been in so many situations where "Why the hell didn't I pay to get this done". Every once in a while I'll work on a project and it will come out great with no issues, it's those types of projects that make me think I can do stuff that I probably shouldn't be doing.

I have a construction background, and related to that, I was the field super who came in to figure out how to solve the weird issues or complaints (whatever they may be), so the combination made me very confident in my ability to work on almost anything. I'm also really good at finding the information I might be missing.

Having said that, I've done enough projects to know when it's something that I should just hire a pro to do, as some more complex things really have a learning curve (and also a required tool budget to do them right).

Sometimes it's just easier/better to hire someone else to do it. Hubby has a construction background, too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I'd like to find the DIY asshat that did the plumbing and HVAC work in my house. Basement has 3 vents total and they aren't where they should be. I've had to fix numerous plumbing leaks, usually from improperly installed compression fittings. A large window and patio door were installed by the people we bought the house from. We quickly found out they didn't seal or insulate around those.

I have enough home construction experience that I've made all repairs myself. I'll watch youtube videos to replace a heating unit in a dryer or replace a garage door spring. I was watching a video to repair an air compressor and the first thing the guy did was use a jig saw to cut the plastic housing off the motor because he didn't have a long enough screw driver to properly remove it. I quit watching.

We’ve reached peak YouTube DIY - sometimes it’s harder to filter out videos from people who have NO IDEA what they’re doing than it is to do the actual repair.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I always will google problems to see if it is something I can tackle. Leaky fridge ice maker, furnace won't start, etc. At least you can do the diagnosis and find out what you are up against. I hate paying $150 service call for someone to flip a switch on and off. Beyond the cash, you just feel like a moron.

And a lot of project type stuff, I will do it if I think I can manage, can save money, and have time. But if it looks horrible or an expert would get it done faster and not cost that much more, then I will def hire it out.

Just moved house, and we did the painting, replaced light fixtures, moved appliances, installed cabinets, laid floor tiles, among a lot of other stuff. But we got help for the mud/tape/sand on the drywall in the garage, installing a shower in the basement, and running a 220 line for the dryer.

Dirty Harry said it best: "A man's got to know his limitations"

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN

I hear ya on that.

I think the previous owner here took a power washer to the AC unit. We spent HOURS using a fin comb to straighten out all the fins.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'm going to be doing quite a bit of this in the near future after moving in to my current house. Lots of crappy finishing work that the investor we bought from did that we will have to mostly redo.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I'll do some DIY stuff, but some stuff it's just cheaper, easier, and faster to hire it out. Like some others, I've got a construction background as well. I'll do minor stuff, but when it comes to serious electrical and/or plumbing it's time to start making some calls.

I remember talking to one of the guys that was renovating my parents house and he flat out said that he hired out a bunch of major repairs (plumbing, electrical, drywall) even in his own house. His logic was something along the lines of, yes he could do it, but he knows guys that are way better at it and can do it in half the time for about the same cost. Plus, he doesn't have to do it on weekends when he's supposed to be relaxing.

YouTube is great for some of this stuff.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've found that I'll do most everything that's on the outside of the drywall and been pretty successful (fixtures, trim, doors, paint). I'll hire anything that's done behind the drywall (plumbing, electrical, gas). Basically anything that I won't see immediately when I do it wrong won't be done by me. A small leak in a pipe in the wall becomes a big problem because of detection.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
We do DIY repair work that we can accomplish without YouTube, the common sense/ experience approach. Mainly due to living 15 miles from town in a sparsely populated area. Difficult to get pros away from town as they are few and swamped. Only thing I won’t touch is electrical that will be sealed up in the house, I want a pro doing that.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I use youtube for pretty easy things like fixing a light switch or something simple like that. When it comes to more complex things like HVAC stuff, I just pay a professional - its worth it to me to know its done right.

Reactions: 3GenClone