"Home Field Advantage"

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
This and throw in the "That's another Cyclone FIRST DOWN"

THIS. I was going to reply with this very embarrassing tradition. I know our football is bad, however when it's a simple (and should be common) thing as getting a first down, doing that exclamation every time is very embarrassing and pathetic. They should act like they've done it before.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I had a friend who played for Ohio State in the early '00s. They treated every game like an away game, stayed in a hotel the night before, only team activities, etc. Does anyone know if ISU does this?
They stay at The Gateway if I'm not mistaken. I think most of our opponents fly in and stay at the WDSM Marriott.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
They stay at The Gateway if I'm not mistaken. I think most of our opponents fly in and stay at the WDSM Marriott.

They do stay at the Gateway. I believe there was a time they were staying in Des Moines, but I'm not sure.

I also believe you're right about the away teams, except I think Iowa always stays at Courtyard in Ankeny.

Last edited:

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I hate the first down thing. Its so...minor league, D3ish. University of Dubuque was doing it long before and they were one of the worst teams even at that level. Told my wife if I ever in the heat of the moment join in on the first down cheer to punch me square in the nuts while I am standing. I understand if some big loudmouth in a section wants to lead a few rows in doing that but I hate that our PA guy does it.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
This and throw in the "That's another Cyclone FIRST DOWN"

THIS. I was going to reply with this very embarrassing tradition. I know our football is bad, however when it's a simple (and should be common) thing as getting a first down, doing that exclamation every time is very embarrassing and pathetic. They should act like they've done it before.

Completely disagree. You may as well get rid of everything. No more "Cyclone Power" chants, no more "Put in Tiller," no nothing. What a dull game that would be.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Here's my amateur psychologist opinion. The recent teams have not bounced back from miscues and bad momentum swings very well. And it seems worse for home games, perhaps because they play a little tight with the added pressure.

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis
I hate the first down thing. Its so...minor league, D3ish. University of Dubuque was doing it long before and they were one of the worst teams even at that level. Told my wife if I ever in the heat of the moment join in on the first down cheer to punch me square in the nuts while I am standing. I understand if some big loudmouth in a section wants to lead a few rows in doing that but I hate that our PA guy does it.

You're right. Amateur. D3. So, why do I hear it in NFL football stadiums again?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It is extremely disappointing to lose home openers to FCS teams. That gets the season off to a rocky start and low expectations. The pre season hype quickly turns into smoke and disappears.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Completely disagree. You may as well get rid of everything. No more "Cyclone Power" chants, no more "Put in Tiller," no nothing. What a dull game that would be.

Completely disagree. No one said to get rid of everything. That's a poor jump to conclusion. I want to get rid of the chants that celebrate something trivial and something the fans and team should be used to doing. Are "Cyclone Power" and "Put in Tiller" chants screaming that we're celebrating mediocrity?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We are now 2-10 in our last 12 at JTS. That's embarrassing.

It's clear mental toughness isn't a strong point of the team so, is it the added pressure of trying to win in front of 54,000?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Someone hit the nail on the head with not bouncing back from adversity. When something like the 80 yard run happens and the crowd is then taken out of it, the team needs to bounce back and make something good happen otherwise the "Home field advantage" is taken out of the equation

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Completely disagree. No one said to get rid of everything. That's a poor jump to conclusion. I want to get rid of the chants that celebrate something trivial and something the fans and team should be used to doing. Are "Cyclone Power" and "Put in Tiller" chants screaming that we're celebrating mediocrity?
The loudest and most crass people at JTS was the lone NDSU fan yelling his head off. It lasted for hours because our fans had nothing to cheer about. Fans expect better pre game, game play, more hustle, more smart football when playing FCS at home. Beginning to look like this will be one more long year that ends quickly. Need midnight basketball more than ever.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I have posted this in a few threads this past week, but was curious as to what everyone's thoughts are. Looking at the last 25 regular season games (2012, 2013, 2014), ISU is 9-16 over that time. Over that time, ISU is 4-10 at JTS, and 5-6 on the road. In 2012, ISU went 3-4 at home, 3-2 on the road. 2013, 1-5 at home, and 2-4 on the road. Since moving into the new football facility, ISU is 1-7 at JTS.

If you look at those home games, I would argue that, at the time they were played, ISU was on equal foot with Tech (2012), West Virginia (2012), UNI (2013), Texas (2103), TCU (2103) and NDSU (2014). You could throw the 2012 KSU game in there as well, although KSU was much better then ISU that year. Those 7 games are all games that you win at home, IMO, but for some reason, ISU cant get it done. If they win even 4 of those 7 games, ISU is 13-12 over their last 25 and 8-6 at home.

I cant figure out why ISU is not able to gain a competitive advantage at home. JTS has had 50K+ for each of those homes game, and the stadium is ALWAYS full of energy. What is going on here? ISU's road record is pretty respectable, but the home record is flat out embarrassing.

And anyone wonders why the fanbase is getting so uneasy. WIN SOME FREAKING HOME GAMES and give the fans some joy. Ridiculous.

For anyone that missed the KU game last year (only home game I missed in years) it's been since October 27, 2012 since we've been able to watch our boys win at home.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Completely disagree. "Another Cyclone First Down" isn't celebrating mediocrity.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
All I'm trying to point out is that of ISU is at least competitive at home and wins some of these close games they are in at JTS, CPR is looking a little more pretty, and ISU is possibly on their way to 5 bowl games in CPR's first 6 seasons. ISU is hanging tough on the road, but failing to have a home field advantage.