Home Theater/Surround Sound Recommendations?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Go to the SVS website, you can purchase that exact sub for $449 from their outlet store, brand new and factory sealed, you could move up to the SB-200 for $599.

The receiver they quoted you, can be purchased as B stock for $499. This site here, is where Denon sells a lot of their B Stock equipment, comes with a limited factory warranty.

Never purchase HT items from Best Buy.
I probably wouldn't be picking up that receiver refurbished when its one of those receivers in the range where the HDMI 2.1 chipset might be questionable.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I probably wouldn't be picking up that receiver refurbished when its one of those receivers in the range where the HDMI 2.1 chipset might be questionable.
The site is a factory authorized B stock website, while you do not get the full Denon warranty, you do get a warranty that will be honored and repaired by Denon.

Purchasing B stock electronics is a great way for a person to save money, all equipment has been returned and refurbished by Denon, and they will sound and switch like a new receiver for about 70% of the price.

Reactions: dmclone

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I love my simple vizio system with the wireless sub and surrounds. Means I can set up anywhere, anyway.
Not a head turner but effective.

Reactions: twa5786

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The site is a factory authorized B stock website, while you do not get the full Denon warranty, you do get a warranty that will be honored and repaired by Denon.

Purchasing B stock electronics is a great way for a person to save money, all equipment has been returned and refurbished by Denon, and they will sound and switch like a new receiver for about 70% of the price.

I'd totally get that and 90% of the time i'd agree, but there's a good chance that that refurbished unit still has one of the old chips in it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'd totally get that and 90% of the time i'd agree, but there's a good chance that that refurbished unit still has one of the old chips in it.
According to the website the 2.1 chip is used in this model, so you should be fine. They would also update the chip with the new software so you should have no handshake problems like the older models.

twa5786

Feb 21, 2007
USA
Out of curiosity, what brands / models were part of this estimate?
1) Denon AVR S960H Receiver $750
2) Definitive Technology High Perf Bookshelf Speakers $600
3) Definitive Technology CS-9060 Center Speaker w/ 8” subwoofer $600
4) Bowers & Wilkins 4” 100W Satellite Speakers $300
5) SVS SB-1000 Pro Subwoofer $700

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Love my Klipsch wired surround sound HT.
May I ask what series you are using?

Mine is an older Klipsch series

RF83 for the mains
RF 64 for the center
RF 61 for the sides
RF 82 for the rears.
Subs are a 16 inch sealed SVS and a older 14 inch ported SVS sub.

All powered with a Monolith 200 X 7 amp.

Klipsch are great speakers for HT, but their subs are below average, lot better bang for your buck with SVS and other companies.

• Love
Reactions: Gorm

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
According to the website the 2.1 chip is used in this model, so you should be fine. They would also update the chip with the new software so you should have no handshake problems like the older models.

IIRC they had to replace the chipsets entirely on these. The first gen of these 2.1 chipsets were notoriously problematic (yamaha had the same supplier I believe and the same issues).

When the other options are there like the 760h and no more expensive (and the 760h also has 3 40gbps HDMI ports vs just the one), it seems like a no-brainer to go with the 760h.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
IIRC they had to replace the chipsets entirely on these. The first gen of these 2.1 chipsets were notoriously problematic (yamaha had the same supplier I believe and the same issues).

When the other options are there like the 760h and no more expensive (and the 760h also has 3 40gbps HDMI ports vs just the one), it seems like a no-brainer to go with the 760h.
According to this article any Denon receiver made after May of 2021 has the newer chips, if you were ordering this model, that is one of the things you would want to ask them. "when was this receiver made?"

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I built my Front 3 speakers based on a Klipsch Cornwall design. I then run 4 Klipsch Pro Cinema surrounds. 120" screen. I'm looking to add a laser projector in the near future. :)

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
May I ask what series you are using?

Mine is an older Klipsch series

RF83 for the mains
RF 64 for the center
RF 61 for the sides
RF 82 for the rears.
Subs are a 16 inch sealed SVS and a older 14 inch ported SVS sub.

All powered with a Monolith 200 X 7 amp.

Klipsch are great speakers for HT, but their subs are below average, lot better bang for your buck with SVS and other companies.

RF83s FTW!!!!!!

twa5786

Feb 21, 2007
USA
When you say it is wired, what exactly do you have in place today? Do you have loose wires at each potential speaker location? Or do you have panels in place with speaker plug ins ready to connect a banana plug? Or do you have wires behind drywall somewhere?

Same question for your TV. Is there an HDMI cable run through the wall from the TV mounting location to wherever you would put the receiver? Or is there conduit in place to run that cable through?

Finally, is there a panel near the receiver location to connect all the speakers on that end? Or at least loose wires that are labeled for location?

For the surround speakers, are you looking at doing an in ceiling or in wall speaker? Hanging a traditional speaker? Or just setting them on stands or a table or whatever?

These are the factors that will drive the ease of install. If all the wiring is accessible and clearly labeled, this becomes largely plug and play. Sort of like connecting monitors and accessories and firing up a new PC. Speaker wires to the appropriately labeled ports for your sound, then HDMI to the proper inputs for you sources, then an HDMI out to the TV. Done.
When you say it is wired, what exactly do you have in place today? Do you have loose wires at each potential speaker location? Or do you have panels in place with speaker plug ins ready to connect a banana plug? Or do you have wires behind drywall somewhere?

Same question for your TV. Is there an HDMI cable run through the wall from the TV mounting location to wherever you would put the receiver? Or is there conduit in place to run that cable through?

Finally, is there a panel near the receiver location to connect all the speakers on that end? Or at least loose wires that are labeled for location?

For the surround speakers, are you looking at doing an in ceiling or in wall speaker? Hanging a traditional speaker? Or just setting them on stands or a table or whatever?

These are the factors that will drive the ease of install. If all the wiring is accessible and clearly labeled, this becomes largely plug and play. Sort of like connecting monitors and accessories and firing up a new PC. Speaker wires to the appropriately labeled ports for your sound, then HDMI to the proper inputs for you sources, then an HDMI out to the TV. Done.
@aeroclone here’s an example of what I have coming out of the walls…

Attachments

• E5F4B9CA-4C5B-468D-8552-A85B75D9204A.jpeg
    E5F4B9CA-4C5B-468D-8552-A85B75D9204A.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 9

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I guess. It depends on what you're looking for. For $1,800, you could have a Sonos surround that would hang with pretty much any $1,500 home theater setup. The Sonos soundbar ranks pretty highly in all the comparisons. And then you can build on that throughout the house. I've had the big box receiver and wired surround. But how often are you blasting TV audio watching a movie? I find that MUCH more often, I'm playing music. And going from the basement to the living room to the patio all with the same music playing is pretty cool.

You're right though, if it's all wired, buying a receiver and 5 speakers plus a sub is probably the best way to go. But if you would rather avoid the wires and TV stand and just hang the TV and sound bar, Sonos is a great option. It's just a really flexible system that you can add on a piece at at time through your house, garage, patio, etc.
Exactly why I'm a sonos fan. Great sound and easy to use. I have the Arc and it is great.

I also like having cyclone game sounds in every room on gameday. :)