Home Treadmill Advice

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Looking at getting a treadmill for our home and I was wondering if anyone had advice on which models/brands to buy or stay away from? Generally we are looking for something that is well-built and functional, but doesn’t have a lot of technology upgrades and workout programs - just a very basic machine that is well-built and will last.

Thanks!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If you want a hard workout, with little maintenance and fewer moving parts, get a curved treadmill. They are not powered by a motor, just your legs. They are twice as hard as a regular motorized treadmill.
We use these at our gym with both high level athletes and regular fitness members.
These types of treadmills are probably the only treadmill I would recommend to anybody.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If you want a hard workout, with little maintenance and fewer moving parts, get a curved treadmill. They are not powered by a motor, just your legs. They are twice as hard as a regular motorized treadmill.
We use these at our gym with both high level athletes and regular fitness members.
These types of treadmills are probably the only treadmill I would recommend to anybody.

Wow, that’s really interesting. I haven’t ever seen that before.

Unfortunately the only price I see on the internet is $5,000 for a refurbished one, which is way out of our price range..

Thanks for the link though, that was cool to see.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I know this probably isn't helpful either, but when I do run on a treadmill it's a motorized Woodway at the gym and after being on it I don't think I could ever use a more standard treadmill again (stress on joints etc).

If I was going to get home exercise/cardio equipment (closer to $1,000) it would definitely be a WaterRower rowing machine. I know rowing isn't for everyone, but I like that's it's a full body workout and easy on joints.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Consider checking out CraigsList or Facebook Classifieds before you shell out hundreds or thousands for brand new. Lots of people buy brand new treadmills, and either never use them or run into a situation where the treadmill won't fit into a new house or apartment or something. I have a nice one that I used to use but I can't any more because it wouldn't fit into a house I moved into, so it sits in my garage.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Consider checking out CraigsList or Facebook Classifieds before you shell out hundreds or thousands for brand new. Lots of people buy brand new treadmills, and either never use them or run into a situation where the treadmill won't fit into a new house or apartment or something. I have a nice one that I used to use but I can't any more because it wouldn't fit into a house I moved into, so it sits in my garage.

Craigslist is the place to go. We've bought 2 from C-List both were good quality barely used. They nearly give them away.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I 100% agree with this. There are plenty of little used treadmills available. I just took a quick look at facebook market place and saw multiple ads. Even a Nordic Track tread climber for $200.

I got mine for free. It was in the shed at a house my sister bought. I've had it about 10 years and it still works. Don't use it as much as I used to but it has had many many miles put on it.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
We paid $1.500 for our treadmill 15 years ago. It still works perfectly. I use it at least 4 times a week. At 69 years old, I walk for 30-45 minutes at 3.2 mph. I HATE the thing. My wife refuses to even look at it for the last 10 years. It is the most boring form of exercise on earth. The only good things about it are that it keeps my weight down and keeps my cardiologist off my back.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We paid $1.500 for our treadmill 15 years ago. It still works perfectly. I use it at least 4 times a week. At 69 years old, I walk for 30-45 minutes at 3.2 mph. I HATE the thing. My wife refuses to even look at it for the last 10 years. It is the most boring form of exercise on earth. The only good things about it are that it keeps my weight down and keeps my cardiologist off my back.
I have a TV in front of mine, that helps some.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Sometimes the "second chance sports" stores work. Nice thing is you can try it out before buying.

A few years ago I bought the previous generation SOLE elliptical - still in the box - for a great price. I still use it regularly.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Buy yourself a clothes drying rack and put it where your treadmill will eventually turn into one. My wife bought a decent one before we got married and we moved it twice. The thing rarely got used and we almost couldn't give the thing away. They are OK if you actually are dedicated enough to use them but know more people who regret buying one than actually use theirs regularly.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron