Honey Creek Resort

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Depends on what your into. I live only a few miles away, but haven't stayed there. The resort is huge, and looks very nice from the outside. If you like to golf they have a pretty nice golf course. There are some hiking/walking trails to go on. Not to mention it sits right on Lake Rathbun, so there are many fishing or boating opportunities there. If you don't want to stay in the resort, there are quite a few cabins to stay in and other places to camp with a trailer or tent.
Honey Creek Resort State Park on Rathbun Lake, Iowa

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Golf course is good, not great yet. They had some flood issues last year and are working on that.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Heard nothing but good things. I've also heard the resort is full most weekends, especially the cabins so if you are wanting to go you better call and check.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Interiors are OK, but they haven't put any money into landscaping. All the "yard" around the cabins are weeds so the kids were playing in the streets over the 4th. Food at the restaurant is so-so. There is no beach so you are left with swimming INDOORS at the "water park" or finding a boat or driving to the beach.
There is no way this place stays afloat without the state tax dollars covering the annual loss.
Golf course is the only good thing IMO and I question their ability to keep it nice as it is obvious to me they are already looking for places to cut costs (i.e. landscaping around the hotel/cabins)
I read an article earlier in the year that said the resort was exceeding attendance expectations, but still losing money.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Interiors are OK, but they haven't put any money into landscaping. All the "yard" around the cabins are weeds so the kids were playing in the streets over the 4th. Food at the restaurant is so-so. There is no beach so you are left with swimming INDOORS at the "water park" or finding a boat or driving to the beach.
There is no way this place stays afloat without the state tax dollars covering the annual loss.
Golf course is the only good thing IMO and I question their ability to keep it nice as it is obvious to me they are already looking for places to cut costs (i.e. landscaping around the hotel/cabins)
I read an article earlier in the year that said the resort was exceeding attendance expectations, but still losing money.

The cabins are new, they were building them in May when I was there. Give it time.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

Yeah, I think a little patience is in order considering this is basically the very first summer of operation. In the coming years I think the landscaping and quality of the resort will improve and I've heard there is a lot of private investors wanting to expand the area with more shopping and restaurants.