HOOPS RECRUITING: Olu, Okoro & 2013 tidbits

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
New York, New York... Can't wait to hear who CH replaces Coach Lutz with...

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
"- Jonathan Severe – 6-foot-2, 180-pound small forward (Chris the King, Middle Village)"

I admit that I'm not terribly up to date on my NYC recruiting, but I'm not familiar with this school, "Chris the King." Is this one of those east cost basketball factor prep schools or has CF branched out into the Charter school business? :jimlad:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
99.9999999999 % sure it will be former Dayton ace Cornell Mann.

So Chris, what are the criteria here? Looks like the other assistant is based on recruiting ability. The role Lutz played was seen as "head coach mentor". Mann certainly has good experience, but on surface (I know none of these guys) not the pedigree that Lutz had. Was the feeling that Fred had learned enough in year 1 that he no longer needed that level of support, thus recruiting was more important, or was it just that Lutz was such a one time opportunity?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
So Chris, what are the criteria here? Looks like the other assistant is based on recruiting ability. The role Lutz played was seen as "head coach mentor". Mann certainly has good experience, but on surface (I know none of these guys) not the pedigree that Lutz had. Was the feeling that Fred had learned enough in year 1 that he no longer needed that level of support, thus recruiting was more important, or was it just that Lutz was such a one time opportunity?

We still do have former #1 assistant in Rutter.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think that Lutz was a great luxury and probably helped FH immensely, but as time goes by that position gets less important and I believe that FH will be able to figure it out. Mann has plenty of experience along with being a great recruiter in Michigan.

This should help us get those heralded high school recruits that everyone seems to be so eager for.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Lutz was an incredible hire--one that is unlikely to be matched. There aren't a bunch of 400 win coaches waiting to be an assistant. I wouldn't worry a lot about Fred's lack of experience at this point.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I know how to run a lay-up drill. I could volunteer my years of experience if that would help.

People seem to think Fred won't know what to do. We've already had that coach.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
Seems like we trail in the Olu sweepstakes. Hopefully we can get him.

Any chance we would have interest in Taran Buie? He just got granted a release. He was suspended for much of the year, but can play point and shooting guard. Similar situation and shooting % as Lucious, but with 3 years left to improve. Brother of Battle at PSU.

Taran Buie 2010 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN