House for sale in Polk City

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
It sold for $226k in 2013. Was the house completely remodeled for it to be listed at $280k 2 years later? (Doubt it if the house was built in 2012) Real estate market has gone up, but not that much.

Edit: Or maybe you/they finished the basement since the original purchase? That has to be what it is, but still...

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It sold for $226k in 2013. Was the house completely remodeled for it to be listed at $280k 2 years later? (Doubt it if the house was built in 2012) Real estate market has gone up, but not that much.

Edit: Or maybe you/they finished the basement since the original purchase? That has to be what it is, but still...

Thats my guess. half that increase is the market, half from finishing the basement

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011

yea, you probably know way more than realtors do anyway. especially after taking 1 minute to look at a zillow listing.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
yea, you probably know way more than realtors do anyway. especially after taking 1 minute to look at a zillow listing.

To be fair, that is quite a large increase in 2 years without some substantial improvements to the property. It almost has to be a basement finish (plus they added the deck in '14). I'm no realtor but i've been actively watching the market for awhile now as i'm looking to make a move soon, and while ive seen the market go up its not been by that much by itself.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Thats my guess. half that increase is the market, half from finishing the basement

But if they finished the basement wouldn't it read bigger than 1750 sq. feet? $280k seems a bit steep for a 3 BR and 1750 sq. feet.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
But if they finished the basement wouldn't it read bigger than 1750 sq. feet? $280k seems a bit steep for a 3 BR and 1750 sq. feet.

Nope. Listings usually list the above ground sqft. Basement space usually isnt included in that.

This home has 862 sq ft on the main level, 889 upstairs, and another 862 sq ft of basement area (unknown how much is finished, though it looks like a large amount of it)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nope. Listings usually list the above ground sqft. Basement space usually isnt included in that.

This home has 862 sq ft on the main level, 889 upstairs, and another 862 sq ft of basement area (unknown how much is finished, though it looks like a large amount of it)

Got it.

4dyceclone

Oct 23, 2013
DSM

Approx sq ft finished in basement is 600. Large family room and big bathroom. The remaining unfinished was turned into a storage room with built in shelves. We also added a fully automated sprinkler system, with bypass valve, and there is a concrete patio under the deck. I guess that is handy if someone wants to take the deck off and change things up. Saves money to do it themselves.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Approx sq ft finished in basement is 600. Large family room and big bathroom. The remaining unfinished was turned into a storage room with built in shelves. They also added a fully automated sprinkler system, with bypass valve, and there is a cement patio under the deck. I guess that is handy if someone wants to take the deck off and change things up. Saves money to do it themselves.

The market is driving up prices a bit, no doubt, but we also live in PC and this house is listed in line with the comparables in the area.

If that were a cement pond, I'd have been all in!

FYI, construction people will bash you pretty harshly for calling concrete "cement"

Cement is merely an ingredient of what made that patio, which is actually called concrete.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014

List it with FsboHomes.com. out of urbandale

great little company.

and yes. many people know way more than realtors, especially explaining why their ridiculous 7% commission is so 1987. The Internet has revolutionalized the industry, and realtors will go by way of the phone book in coming years

IowaRealEstate

Oct 15, 2012
Ankeny
www.CharterHouseIowa.com
List it with FsboHomes.com. out of urbandale

great little company.

and yes. many people know way more than realtors, especially explaining why their ridiculous 7% commission is so 1987. The Internet has revolutionalized the industry, and realtors will go by way of the phone book in coming years

I list homes for as low as 5%. 7% is not the standard anymore in most places.

Having been an agent for 10 years, I and other agents laugh at comments related to real estate agents going away. The public has zero idea of what it takes to properly market and sell homes, let alone keep deals together and get clients to closing. If they saw the fires we constantly put out and all the work that is required to be good at this profession, they would stop talking.
There is a reason that 8 out of 10 for sale by owners end up hiring an agent.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, id agree. There's lots of benefit (especially on the buyer side as well) to having a realtor and having been watching for a few months ive seen many FSBO homes on zillow eventually get relisted with a realtor and then go. Now will there be downward pressure on commissions as more test the FSBO side themselves? Sure, but will realtors ever go away completely? Absolutely not.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I list homes for as low as 5%. 7% is not the standard anymore in most places.

Having been an agent for 10 years, I and other agents laugh at comments related to real estate agents going away. The public has zero idea of what it takes to properly market and sell homes, let alone keep deals together and get clients to closing. If they saw the fires we constantly put out and all the work that is required to be good at this profession, they would stop talking.
There is a reason that ​4 out of 5 for sale by owners end up hiring an agent.
Fixed for my fifth grade math teacher.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We are starting to look at buying and have watched nearly identical houses in the same neighborhood sell on a day or two when listed with a realtor. Meanwhile the FSBO's sit.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
We are starting to look at buying and have watched nearly identical houses in the same neighborhood sell on a day or two when listed with a realtor. Meanwhile the FSBO's sit.

Lack of marketing power in most cases. To each their own though, no dog in the fight.