Housing Advice?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Ours were also wide open, when we weren't drinking, which was pretty much only between 6AM and 3PM Monday-Thursday :biggrin:

The second part was me passing on secondhand information. The first part was the truth though. CAs there are a LOT harsher than the CAs I dealt with in any other building.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Martin/Eaton- New, Nice, Quiet and creepy on the weekends
Maple- Pretty Nice, and quiet. Do not go in the stairwells if you go dorm storming the first week, need a key card to get out that only maple people have, scary night!
Larch/Willow- Not the nicest but I enjoy it, it can be loud and fun, sometimes it sucks, but its what you make of it. Close to Jack Trice and Hilton which are huge pluses.
Old RCA- Avoid them they suck.
Friley- Probably the best choice, rooms are a bit bigger and nicer. Close to many things. Enjoyed spending some nights there.
Helser- Get the **** out if you get placed in there.

syclones

Jul 8, 2008
No, Martin and Eaton are completely fun suckers because they're new buildings. However, if you're ever in trouble, my second cousin is the person in charge of Eaton :yes:

If I'm not mistaken, your doors have to be closed at all time in Martin and Eaton whereas everywhere else on campus they can be wide open. (I know ours was wide open last year if someone was around)

That's prly to strict for me. Friley is my second choice and it seems like I only hear good things about it. Any opinion on Friley?

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Honestly, I think it depends a lot on your major. If you are doing engineering, I highly recommend Friley or something in UDA. It is much closer to your classes. If not, I recommend Willow or Larch or something in RCA. Plus, the new dining center between MWL will be finished for next year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The second part was me passing on secondhand information. The first part was the truth though. CAs there are a LOT harsher than the CAs I dealt with in any other building.

I thought you were talking about other parts of Campus. I lived in Larch, and we had doors open all the time. I was more joking about the heavy drinking that occurred there. I could totally see the CA's in the new dorms being hard ***** too...

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
You can have a good time in just about any of the dorms. MWL would be my pick if I was living in the dorms again. We ended up over there at the end of lots of nights last year after a good night out. I lived in Helser last year and it really wasn't that bad. The rooms are absolutely terrible but the people there were awesome and it was really social because nobody wanted to be in their room. They also don't really do anything if you get drunk and walk around meeting people in your boxer briefs.....at least that's what I've heard :goofy:

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Helser was the best... back when I lived there in 1998-2001. That was when we had full-size Helser, not the half a$$ Helser!

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
Friley was nice, had air conditioning, was close to welsh, and wasn't too far from Carver when I decided to go to class. (Usually meant nothing better was happening...I skipped a lot of class)

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I thought you were talking about other parts of Campus. I lived in Larch, and we had doors open all the time. I was more joking about the heavy drinking that occurred there. I could totally see the CA's in the new dorms being hard ***** too...
Oops, my bad. I lived in Larch last year and we always had our doors open if one of us was in the room. I miss the days of leaning out into the hall and yelling, "Basketball!" and getting a count of the 8-10 who wanted to play. :sad:

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
If you happen to have fireworks and want to play around with them, think twice. A roman candle here and strip of blackcats there got me "documented" by the mighty Larch CA's last night.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If you happen to have fireworks and want to play around with them, think twice. A roman candle here and strip of blackcats there got me "documented" by the mighty Larch CA's last night.
It's all about being discrete with them :wink:

Be happy they let you off with that and you don't have a ticket since those are both illegal in Iowa.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I can't believe that no one on here has even mentioned checking out the Fraternity system. You know..its not all stereotypes. Plus..most houses are in prime location to walk to campus, the bars, and to the sports complex!

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
That's prly to strict for me. Friley is my second choice and it seems like I only hear good things about it. Any opinion on Friley?
I'm in year 4 in Friley, and the President, so I guess I'd be a little biased. Then again, I wouldn't have stayed for 4 years (going on a 5th) if I didn't love it, right? Great community, very social, lots of stuff to do, close to all the places you need to go, great bus access. It's also by far the most popular building on campus, and fills up way before any other hall. If you're coming here this fall, you're almost certainly too late to get into Friley. Every single house in Friley has some sort of learning community that generally reserves some rooms for incoming freshmen, so if you're in one of the learning communities that has space in Friley, you might still get in. I wouldn't count on it.

Friley- Probably the best choice, rooms are a bit bigger and nicer. Close to many things. Enjoyed spending some nights there.
Helser- Get the **** out if you get placed in there.
Nobody can speak with any authority on Helser Hall anymore. Yes, it used to be awful, but they gave it a full renovation last summer. It's really nice now. The community is still as strong as ever, and now the interior looks good.

That said, Friley all the way. Best place to live, end of story.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I loved living in Old RCA my frosh year.

To be honest, I don't think it really matters which dorm you live in. Everyone here is biased by where they lived, and you'll have a good time no matter where you live.

wags

Dec 13, 2008
DSM
I'm in year 4 in Friley, and the President, so I guess I'd be a little biased. Then again, I wouldn't have stayed for 4 years (going on a 5th) if I didn't love it, right? Great community, very social, lots of stuff to do, close to all the places you need to go, great bus access. It's also by far the most popular building on campus, and fills up way before any other hall. If you're coming here this fall, you're almost certainly too late to get into Friley. Every single house in Friley has some sort of learning community that generally reserves some rooms for incoming freshmen, so if you're in one of the learning communities that has space in Friley, you might still get in. I wouldn't count on it.

Nobody can speak with any authority on Helser Hall anymore. Yes, it used to be awful, but they gave it a full renovation last summer. It's really nice now. The community is still as strong as ever, and now the interior looks good.

That said, Friley all the way. Best place to live, end of story.

Yes they are trying to fix Helser but its is still a complete dump..it's mostly the people that live here that make it that way but if you can find some good friends it makes it a lot easier to deal with and gets you out of your room more

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I loved living in Old RCA my frosh year.

To be honest, I don't think it really matters which dorm you live in. Everyone here is biased by where they lived, and you'll have a good time no matter where you live.

Another vote for old RCA here. Like mentioned earlier, Birch-Welch-Roberts has some massive rooms in it because they're older and not quite as "cookie-cutter" as some new places. I always thought Friley had more than its fair share of weirdo/geeks when compared with the "east side" (MWL/RCA) side of campus but I probably just hung out on the wrong floors. Good to see you're staying on campus, don't be in a huge hurry to move off campus like most people are.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Oops, my bad. I lived in Larch last year and we always had our doors open if one of us was in the room. I miss the days of leaning out into the hall and yelling, "Basketball!" and getting a count of the 8-10 who wanted to play. :sad:

I couldn't convince my floor mates to do something that physical. Had to lone-wolf it for excercise. I could always yell "booze", "poker", or "halo" and get responses though...

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Wherever you choose to live = BEST PLACE EVER. People you live with and around you will determine how your living experiences will be.

Thats what I used to say when I was Cyclone Aide. lol