Housing market

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Just curious if anyone has been dealing with any crazy stuff by selling, moving, etc.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Currently in the process of listing our home in NE Iowa and then looking for one in area between Ames/Ankeny and Marshalltown, looked at a house in Nevada for it's 1st and only open house on Friday and it is already pending sale. the last 2 homes on our street up there sold with in a week and 24 hours, so selling shouldn't be an issue but trying to find one down here is going to be an arms race for what we are looking for..

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Went under contract for a house that was in the process of being flipped. It was almost done when we offered and it got accepted. We’re supposed to close on April 23, still waiting due to the septic. The dumbass who is flipping the house didn’t start the septic until April 21. We’re still living in a hotel and will probably be doing so for the rest of the month. Also no concessions because he could just list it again and get a similar price to what we offered.

This is in Rhode Island. We will get water views and be walking distance from a beach.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I wouldn't want to be a buyer right now. Any new builds in Polk County would run close to $300,000 right now. Got a really nice house in Des Moines 3 years ago, now homes are going for 25-30 thousand more than what we paid back then and they are dumps.

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
Building a house. So far it's normal. I think. Trying to decide when to sell. I've had people say now and others say the market is going to get even crazier. I've been told if I list my house now it will sell for cash with-in a day and I won't have to mess with showings.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Currently in the process of listing our home in NE Iowa and then looking for one in area between Ames/Ankeny and Marshalltown, looked at a house in Nevada for it's 1st and only open house on Friday and it is already pending sale. the last 2 homes on our street up there sold with in a week and 24 hours, so selling shouldn't be an issue but trying to find one down here is going to be an arms race for what we are looking for..
Keep us updated, I’m curious how it’ll work getting something accepted

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Building a house. So far it's normal. I think. Trying to decide when to sell. I've had people say now and others say the market is going to get even crazier. I've been told if I list my house now it will sell for cash with-in a day and I won't have to mess with showings.
When’s your build finishing, locked in on material costs?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Have been called a few times about people asking if we would consider selling....

other than that we refinanced last fall and got a great rate.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
CBus is a **** show. Wouldn’t be surprised to see violence in the coming months as rich white people fight over the few houses available in desirable neighborhoods with 4 beds/3baths.
Aren’t you moving?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
CBus is a **** show. Wouldn’t be surprised to see violence in the coming months as rich white people fight over the few houses available in desirable neighborhoods with 4 beds/3baths.

Bexley's pretty landlocked in terms of space. Upper Arlington?

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We could do well selling our place but then I feel we'd be overpaying for something else. If it was just me and didn't have to worry about kids or what my wife would say, I'd sell then rent.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
We could do well selling our place but then I feel we'd be overpaying for something else. If it was just me and didn't have to worry about kids or what my wife would say, I'd sell then rent.
I’ve heard some crazy rental stories too around here, had a friend of the wife say many places requiring 850 credit score. Eviction moratorium I imagine

Reactions: twojman