How did SMU only get a 6 seed?

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
SMU didn't beat anyone. They didn't really even play anyone. After 11/25 they didn't play a ranked team. I think SMU is over seeded if anything. They also don't score the ball very well, which is not a good problem to have against us. They had the Larry Brown factor going in the polls all year.

The Larry Brown factor also means theirs 50/50 shot that any tournament wins they have this year will be vacated by the NCAA sometime in the next decade.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
IMO we got screwed with our side of bracket. OU has a cake walk to the sweet 16, cake walk. It is clear that OU got the better 3 seed which is ridiculous. OU plays Albany then likely either Providence or Dayton? Are u kidding me? Give me that all day. We on the other hand if we win vs UAB play a SMU team that is under seeded and has been ranked all year, then we play arguably the best 2 seed right now in Gonzaga. I think Zaga is playing better than either KU or Virg. I would much rather be playing any other 6 seed than SMU.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
IMO we got screwed with our side of bracket. OU has a cake walk to the sweet 16, cake walk. It is clear that OU got the better 3 seed which is ridiculous. OU plays Albany then likely either Providence or Dayton? Are u kidding me? Give me that all day. We on the other hand if we win vs UAB play a SMU team that is under seeded and has been ranked all year, then we play arguably the best 2 seed right now in Gonzaga. I think Zaga is playing better than either KU or Virg. I would much rather be playing any other 6 seed than SMU.

If Virginia gets their **** together, they are probably the 2nd best team in the country behind UK. I didn't want them in our region at all, and OU has them on the same side of the bracket. No thank you

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
All I know is that if we some how get to the Elite 8 playing Duke I really like our shot at the FF. Duke is the only 1 seed I think we match up well with. Btw, Okafor is projected by every single NBA draft board to be the overall #1 pick in the draft and no ncaa team with the #1 pick has ever made it to the NC game.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I actually think SMU is the second-worst 6 seed, ahead of only Xavier. I'd rather face SMU than Butler or Providence.

Of course a 6 seed is going to be a legit team. It's the NCAA tournament. I don't think SMU was disrespected by the committee at all though. No bad losses, no elite wins. Iowa State has some of both of those.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
SMU is a bad matchup but playing Gonzaga and Duke in Houston where they will not have home court advantage is a great deal. Houston is the easiest route to the final four. Would you rather play Arizona in LA?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL

If we get to Gonzaga, it will be interesting to see how many times we have already shot the ball before those big men from Zaga even get down the floor. I agree that OU got the better draw, but it doesn't matter, you need to win the six in front of us.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
SMU a 4-seed? No way. UNI is a 5 seed that beat 2 NCAA Tournament teams. SMU has zero. They got drilled by Gonzaga, lost at home to Arkansas, got beat twice by Cincinnati, and lost to Indiana and UCONN.

I have no idea who their RPI is #13 when they haven't beaten a single team inside the top 33.

That's not to say they can't beat us but they aren't exactly world beaters to this point.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
My thoughts on 2 seeds:
Arizona...Virginia...Gonzaga...KU

Thoughts on 6 seeds:
SMU...Providence...Xavier...Butler

I think we really got screwed with the 6/11 matchup. However, if we get by that I think we have the best 1/2 combo there is to get through to the final 4.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Smu was rated 21 by the committee and 20 by ap. Not sure what the big deal is re: only a 6 seed.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Saw on the KU board that Brown was the coach behind KU riding a zone defense to the 2012 title game. Spent 5-weeks with the team (NCAA allows that?)

Cheering for Alford, plus UCLA is a headliner no matter how mediocre.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
20th in AP
13th in RPI
Won their conference and their conference tourney.

Should've been at least a 5 seed over WVU or Utah...heck you could probably make an argument for a 4 seed over Louisville or Georgetown.
I agree. Great help defense and unselfish offense, coached by Brown, one of the top 3 coaches of all time. Plus, Hoiberg idolizes the guy.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
In addition to seeing every ISU game this year save for the beat-down of the hawks (listened on tunein internet radio), I have also seen every SMU game this year. I was very disappointed to see them so close to us because I wanted to see both teams make a deep run and I know SMU will be a tough match-up for us.

SMU has a great but small (5-9) college point guard in Nic Moore (both he and Monte' should have been Cousy finalists), they have a talented and big front line in Moreira, Kennedy and Cunningham (all three are legit NBA type players...Moreira and Kennedy for certain and Cunningham a strong possibility), they have an athletic lock-down defender in Ryan Manuel (think Rahshon Clark), they have a couple of nice role players that are a little sporadic but talented in Sterling Brown (has taken up the outside shooting slack with Keith Frazier being declared ineligible) and Ben Moore (plays some high post with good high/low passing skills and crafty around the goal), and their last guy that plays is Emelogu (a transfer from Va. Tech that has been a little disappointing).

SMU also has a HOF coach with a very good (and big) coaching staff. The team has steadily improved through the season as have the players with their individual skills.

On offense, they run opportunistically but are very productive in the half court set in pounding it into the paint (they like to use a lot of high/low action with Cunningham and Brown up high and Moreira and Kennedy down low). Outside shooting is probably the weakest part of their game but Nic Moore and Sterling Brown can both knock them down if open and they certainly do not rely on this part of the offense. You will also see them have some success with the old Carolina secondary break action as well.

On defense they are a man-to-man team and a very good one (very sound). Nic Moore while short is a quick kid (we will probably see us try to exploit the size difference if he guards Monte'). However, my guess is that Manuel will probably check Monte' and N. Moore will get Naz. Kennedy is a bruiser down low (a Villanova transfer). Moreira is a slender kid like Jameel with some shot blocking skills. And Cunningham is pretty quick for 6-10 (my guess is they use him on Niang).

Just some quick thoughts. Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse (hey, I've already started planning both my trip to Houston and my trip to Indy) but I will be very surprised if these two are not playing on Saturday.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
SMU a 4-seed? No way. UNI is a 5 seed that beat 2 NCAA Tournament teams. SMU has zero. They got drilled by Gonzaga, lost at home to Arkansas, got beat twice by Cincinnati, and lost to Indiana and UCONN.

I have no idea who their RPI is #13 when they haven't beaten a single team inside the top 33.

That's not to say they can't beat us but they aren't exactly world beaters to this point.

As they say...never let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Actually, SMU has beaten two tourney teams (Texas Southern and Wyoming). They also beat Temple which should have made the tourney. Lastly, early in the season they lost at Gonzaga and at Indiana and to Arkansas in Moody Coliseum...all three were competitive games and they did not have the services of Kennedy (ineligible at the beginning of the season due to grades).

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
As they say...never let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Actually, SMU has beaten two tourney teams (Texas Southern and Wyoming). They also beat Temple which should have made the tourney. Lastly, early in the season they lost at Gonzaga and at Indiana and to Arkansas in Moody Coliseum...all three were competitive games and they did not have the services of Kennedy (ineligible at the beginning of the season due to grades).

Also Eastern Washington.

But what matters is teams worthy of at large bids.

That's zero.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA

I certainly could be wrong, but my initial reaction was that we got the best draw of all Big XII teams.

I'm not high on SMU. I think we match up well and they haven't beaten anybody of significance. As 2 seeds go, I'm not sold on Gonzaga. Tough game to be sure, but I like facing them in Houston. Duke is probably the weakest 1 seed, we will be underdogs, but we would be against any 1 seed.

Best of all, we won't be playing anyone that has home-court advantage on us.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Best of all, we won't be playing anyone that has home-court advantage on us.

This is what I like the most about our placement. Houston is Big 12 country. We won't be playing a Uconn in their back yard.

edit: if we don't screw up the first 2 games

Last edited: