How do ISU fans feel about Zadick getting the boot

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
If it’s so mainstream, how come we average 8k more fans per game than women’s basketball?
I'll break this down to a couple different parts here..
First off, I'm assuming you meant women's basketball averaged 8k more in attendance than wrestling this year? That's extremely impressive - wrestling ranked 6th in attendance this year following a 1-12 record.. That's right, a 1-12 record and top 6 in attendance the next year.

Rank School Avg Attendance
1 Iowa 8996
2 Penn State 7693
3 Ohio State 6681
4 Rutgers 4680
5 Fresno State 4566
6 Iowa State 3361

Secondly, you said the whole state of Iowa. Have you ever been to the Iowa high school state Wrestling tournament? I would assume not. Or any youth kids wrestling tournements? Probably no.

Reactions: crawfy54

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Still the only sport the whole state of Iowa is relevant at on a national and world stage, fringe or not (which it is not by a longshot). Play word association with anybody who knows sports:

Texas or Florida=Football
Indiana=Basketball
Iowa=Wrestling

Here is a story about our new recruit, Abe Assad when he came on his unofficial:

"What really sold Assad, though, was a trip to the Hillcrest dorm on the west side of campus.

That day, Assad, his parents and Brands took a stroll through the dormitory. Upon their arrival, Assad said a campus maintenance worker spotted them and approached.

“He came up to me and said, ‘Are you Abe Assad?’ I was like, yeah,” Assad recalled. “He said, ‘Are you on your unofficial?’ I said, yeah. He was like, ‘Oh, that’s awesome. Nice to meet you.’

“This is a janitor working at the school, and he knew who I was. I didn’t really announce it anywhere on social media that I was there. He just knew me. That showed me how strong and powerful the fan base is.

“Being a wrestler at Iowa is like being a football player at Alabama. It’s awesome.”

And like Alabama, should a wrestler leave the Iowa program, the average IQ level at the entire school goes up 30 points.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
How many sports are relevant at ISU? Football and basketball are relevant only because those are popular sports in America, not necessarily because ISU is any good. In fact, if you watch ISU sports because "relevancy," than you must be pretty depressed.

This isn't hitting ISU sports...it's not like Iowa's Football and Basketball trophy rooms are brimming with national titles. But play word association with most Iowans concerning ISU's best/ most known athletes and I am guessing you are going to get Gable, Sanderson, Hoiberg not necessarily in that order.

Blame your AD for how far ISU was allowed to fall. Dresser has hit a hiccup...for sure but there are some good times headed your way if fans stick by him.

When’s the last time iowa State has really been relevant in wrestling?

Also, it’s not completely on JP with how far iowa State wrestling has fallen.

• Agree
Reactions: IsUaClone2

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Secondly, you said the whole state of Iowa. Have you ever been to the Iowa high school state Wrestling tournament? I would assume not.

You assumed wrong. I went every year I was in high school. Great event. Same with the NCAA wrestling tournament. Honestly that’s maybe the best televised event in the US. It’s still a niche sport even in Iowa.

Regardless, the point is this program needs to get relevant again in order to get people to give a crap.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Rank School Avg Attendance
1 Iowa 8996
2 Penn State 7693
3 Ohio State 6681
4 Rutgers 4680
5 Fresno State 4566
6 Iowa State 3361

You just proved my point very well. Women’s basketball is a niche sport and thousands more people buy tickets for it, even in Iowa.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Still the only sport the whole state of Iowa is relevant at on a national and world stage, fringe or not (which it is not by a longshot). Play word association with anybody who knows sports:

Texas or Florida=Football
Indiana=Basketball
Iowa=Wrestling

Here is a story about our new recruit, Abe Assad when he came on his unofficial:

"What really sold Assad, though, was a trip to the Hillcrest dorm on the west side of campus.

That day, Assad, his parents and Brands took a stroll through the dormitory. Upon their arrival, Assad said a campus maintenance worker spotted them and approached.

“He came up to me and said, ‘Are you Abe Assad?’ I was like, yeah,” Assad recalled. “He said, ‘Are you on your unofficial?’ I said, yeah. He was like, ‘Oh, that’s awesome. Nice to meet you.’

“This is a janitor working at the school, and he knew who I was. I didn’t really announce it anywhere on social media that I was there. He just knew me. That showed me how strong and powerful the fan base is.

“Being a wrestler at Iowa is like being a football player at Alabama. It’s awesome.”

LOL, that just proved this Assad guy is gullible. 100% this was staged as it is an old trick almost every coach does.

This is hilarious.

Cnems07

Oct 5, 2011
Why aren't we looking at the obvious here? Kurt Backes has a ton of coaching experience. Obviously a great wrestler while a Clone, then coached at Missouri, Virginia Tech and Iowa. Guy is a great communicator and teacher. He also still lives in Des Moines.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Why aren't we looking at the obvious here? Kurt Backes has a ton of coaching experience. Obviously a great wrestler while a Clone, then coached at Missouri, Virginia Tech and Iowa. Guy is a great communicator and teacher. He also still lives in Des Moines.

Thought I’d heard/read that he’s not interested, but could be mistaken.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Thought I’d heard/read that he’s not interested, but could be mistaken.
Don't think he is. He has a pretty successful career going, but you never know. Where is Jay Borshel at now? He doesn't have much freestyle experience though. Backes would be an excellent choice if he came out of retirement.