How early should I get to lot S5?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Should I try and get there at like 6:30 to get a spot, or is it not that tight? Would we do alright getting there at 8:00?

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I don't think you have to get there that early for a spot.
There are plenty of parking spots, only if you desire a certain area like by one of the grassy knolls. I think the traffic just gets worse later in the morning

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bryce, I think you would still get a spot at 8 but traffic at that point is going to be a nightmare.

I think we have abandoned the idea of getting into G3 (our usual lot) so we don't have to wait in the long line back thru Vet Med. We are planning on leaving Des Moines at 5am and parking in G5 for this weekend.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ugh, you guys are scaring me. We are not even planning on leaving Ankeny until 8.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I doubt we leave ankeny before 7:15 Brian, so I'm hoping to get there about 8:00. Here's hopin'.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
BryceC: It really depends how you approach Ames... from the South or East, get there early. From the West or North, you should be okay with an 8 o'clock arrival as long as you use non-traditional paths to the stadium. IE: North, come through Pamel Court; West, come through Lincoln Way. Basically stay away from HWY 30 or Interstate 35 then stay away from Elwood, East Lincoln Way and 4th/3rd Street.

- keep.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I doubt we leave ankeny before 7:15 Brian, so I'm hoping to get there about 8:00. Here's hopin'.

My big question is how busy will CJ's bagels be at 7:30. I could really use an asiago with jalopeno cream cheese for the drive up.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
BryceC: It really depends how you approach Ames... from the South or East, get there early. From the West or North, you should be okay with an 8 o'clock arrival as long as you use non-traditional paths to the stadium. IE: North, come through Pamel Court; West, come through Lincoln Way. Basically stay away from HWY 30 or Interstate 35 then stay away from Elwood, East Lincoln Way and 4th/3rd Street.

- keep.

I second this. This is the way to do it. Get off of 35 on 13th street, work your way south.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well, we meet up with friends that live in Ames before the games so we always take the 13th street exit because they live on the north side of town. Thanks for the help fellas.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Once you are in Ames, since you are coming from the North to the Stadium, you might be surprised how easy it is to get through campus to get to new RCA. I drive past the ag barns, around the coal plant to elwood or sometimes take the road that goes past the entrance of the rec center.

But if you are coming up from the South and trying to get to 13th street, you may want to find another way up.... 35 from DSM will be a bear cat .... hwy 17 might be better or head to Colo and take "13th street" from Colo.

basically be creative, if coming from the East or South.

- keep.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Bryce, I think you would still get a spot at 8 but traffic at that point is going to be a nightmare.

I think we have abandoned the idea of getting into G3 (our usual lot) so we don't have to wait in the long line back thru Vet Med. We are planning on leaving Des Moines at 5am and parking in G5 for this weekend.

I want to get in G4 or G5. I think, me and the traveling circus I'm bringing are going to be arriving in Ames at 5 or 5:30. I would rather get stuck in the front of the lot then in the back part of it. Last week the walk seemed too long after the effort we put forth.

I wonder if it will be anything like the flood of traffic in 2005?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I wonder if it will be anything like the flood of traffic in 2005?

Yes, it will be. I got an AD email saying they are expecting 80,000 people in the tailgate lots.

And instead of just Cyclone fans on I-35 North from the Des Moines area, there will now be hawk fans coming from Iowa City at the same time. I-35 and Hwy 30 will be a slow crawl after 8am.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Bryce-

We park in S5. It is a gold level lot and I've yet to see this more than half full for either of the first two games (note - we need more gold level donors!). The UNI game was a record crowd but there were still a few "grassy" spots for a tent when we arrived at 2:30. Of course, the Iowa game is something different.

Still, I'd be surprised if you had to arrive before 8:00 to get a decent spot. If you want something on the grass, maybe earlier. Good luck!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Bryce-

We park in S5. It is a gold level lot and I've yet to see this more than half full for either of the first two games (note - we need more gold level donors!).

I am coming to see ya in gold soon! Making my steady progression up the ladder. We got A3 this year, pretty nice since our seats are on the west side.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here's a quote from the commander of the ISU Police you might want to read from this article: DesMoinesRegister.com

"I'm going to start 7:30 Friday night," Bowers said.

The line of tailgaters is expected to start forming before midnight. Bowers and his staff will be charged with keeping things safe and orderly.

"We will be monitoring that all night," he said. "So that we can minimize any potential impact on the roadways, on the campus and within the city of Ames."

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, we've been parking in S5 all year, but we didn't know what it would be like before this game. We've been grassdwellers before this season.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah, we've been parking in S5 all year, but we didn't know what it would be like before this game. We've been grassdwellers before this season.

Grass lot to S5 in one year. Good job outta you, we need to get more grass dwellers up the the paved lots....

Yes, I am calling you all out! :wink:

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Any last minute people that won't be using there parking pass and want to sell it for a decent price?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Grass lot to S5 in one year. Good job outta you, we need to get more grass dwellers up the the paved lots....

Yes, I am calling you all out! :wink:

I used to be paved lot till they raised the prices and I actually think the grass lots are much better atomosphere. Plus now that we have an RV the donation level is even more to be in a paved lot.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Do you like the paved lots more? Or is it much different? Personally, I quite enjoy the grasslots.