How far will the bench extend?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think the issue with NWB is at the 3 on offence, the defender will simply lag away from the 3 line and put an extra defender near the paint. Nick is awesome on D, but a liability on offence.

Offense. Nick shot a total of 26 3's on offense this past year. The number will go up and he'll shoot higher than 31%.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Like everyone else, I think Wig, NWB, Jackson, and Young are all pretty much locks to start unless we land another impact wing.

If Brase is healthy I believe he starts over Beverly and I think McNeil will play over Long.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Throw em all in there and see who can play in November. Cut it to an 8 man rotation sometime in December. Playing more than 8 throws everything off. I look at Iowa when I say that. Fran will play 10 sometimes 11 guys. No one can get a rhythm because when you screw up you're riding the pine.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Part of the reason we only played 7 or 8 deep is because we only ever had 2 forwards worth anything, and 5 or 6 guards. It's hard to play more guards than that, and obviously can't play forwards you don't have.

We probably play a little deeper this year, because we have the depth, talent, and a wider variety of different skills that guys bring to the table this year.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Part of the reason we only played 7 or 8 deep is because we only ever had 2 forwards worth anything, and 5 or 6 guards. It's hard to play more guards than that, and obviously can't play forwards you don't have.

We probably play a little deeper this year, because we have the depth, talent, and a wider variety of different skills that guys bring to the table this year.

I think we'll definitely run deeper when Prohm decides to go 4 guards 1 post small ball. If the matchup is right we can switch out the guards for rest and run like hell. I think we've got the speed and no doubt a handful of guys to knock down a 3 if we can't get a layup. That's the part of the game I'm looking forward to. Good ol Prohm ball with a spattering of Hoiball.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Long was a 4 star so assuming McNeil and lewis play over him is a bit wishful thinking or a put in Tiller in situation. I assume those two will still need more time adjusting to the game speed. I have to agree that assuming NWB starts isn't a done deal either.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
FWIW I've heard that the guys coming back are high on what Lard will be by the end of the year once he gets up to game speed.

I'm thinking we'll be able hide him on defense if he plays with SY as well by always having SY play the high screener.

• Creative
Reactions: Doc

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
FWIW I've heard that the guys coming back are high on what Lard will be by the end of the year once he gets up to game speed.

I'm thinking we'll be able hide him on defense if he plays with SY as well by always having SY play the high screener.
To me, I always felt our success next season will hinge largely on Lards ability to take pressure off young.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

I'd believe this. He looks the part; bigger schools would have come after him if it wasn't for his academic risks. I can't wait to watch him this year.

• Agree

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Long was a 4 star so assuming McNeil and lewis play over him is a bit wishful thinking or a put in Tiller in situation. I assume those two will still need more time adjusting to the game speed. I have to agree that assuming NWB starts isn't a done deal either.

Long was a 4 star by one service. Additionally, the effort by the staff to land both immediate eligible wings and sit out wings can be interpreted as at least some skepticism in Longs ability to log quality minutes. I'm not writing Long off, just have tempered expectations.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Long was a 4 star by one service. Additionally, the effort by the staff to land both immediate eligible wings and sit out wings can be interpreted as at least some skepticism in Longs ability to log quality minutes. I'm not writing Long off, just have tempered expectations.

Or you could go the common sense route, and realize we had 7 open scholarships and we weren't bringing in 7 freshman. And this time of the year is transfer season, Which is why those are the players we are recruiting now.

It's actually pathetic that people think it's a bad thing we want multiple good players.

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and so on have guys on their bench who would start here. That doesn't stop them from getting the best players they can. I wonder if that's why they win so much? Holy ****!

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
I'm really hoping this team puts it together defensively, our guards are athletic with huge potential to be lock down defenders on the outside. This team is extremely interesting

• Agree

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

If you believe this, you'd have to believe the same about Babb, Wigginton, Jackson, Lewis and McNeil as well right? Do the Brase and Beverly signings show a lack of confidence in Young and Lard? Or do you think this entire spring recruiting period was only about making up for Jackolby Long's deficiencies?

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Some of you might want to plan a family vacation the week the Cyclones lose two games in a row. Gonna be a meltdown on CF. May God save us all if Lard, Lewis, Wigginton, or McNeill start over one of the fan favorites. Make that a two-week vacation. Carry on.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
If you believe this, you'd have to believe the same about Babb, Wigginton, Jackson, Lewis and McNeil as well right? Do the Brase and Beverly signings show a lack of confidence in Young and Lard? Or do you think this entire spring recruiting period was only about making up for Jackolby Long's deficiencies?

Babb has already shown he can log minutes and yes they did try to find someone to play over him. Jackson plays a different position and has also shown he can log minutes. Wig, Lewis, and McNeil aren't on campus yet. Brase and Beverly have question marks but there is evidence they can contribute.

So I guess my answer is no. The goal of spring recruiting was to make up for whiffing on all but Young for post recruits since this staff got here. I have no idea what to expect from Lard as I haven't seen tape or a scouting report that isn't a couple years old.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
My guess at the rotation is
1 DJ/Wigginton
2 DJ/ Wigginton
3 NWB
4 Beverly
5 Young

6,7,8 will be three out of Brase, Lard, Lewis, McNeill.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
There is legitimate questions with every player on the team.
Starting 5:
Wigginton
Jackson
Babb
Solo
Brase

Bench:
Beverly
Lard
Lewis
McNeil

Notes:
McNeil, Long, unsigned guard; one will get minutes
Kasongo only if foul trouble
Still room for a starter, moving Babb or Jackson off the first line.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm not saying Long plays at all either, simply pointing out that people saying lewis and McNeil play before him base does on basically nothing is premature.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I like Weiler-Babb so do not take this wrong... But I would not call him an efficient scorer...

View attachment 47806

Of the guys in the rotation last year, he had the worst true shooting % of anybody but Holden. True shooting percentage is basically a measurement of the points you score relative to the shots you take. Guys who take/make a lot of three point shots, have a high 2 PT%, or draw a lot of fouls and make their free throws (or some combination of the same) tend to do well under this. That is "efficiency." What points do you produce from shot attempts?

Matt and Naz were super efficient because they took a lot of threes and made a ton of them. Solomon was efficient because he took few shots, but most of them were likely point blank dunks or put backs, so he was efficient even without much volume....

I think he (Nick) will improve greatly, particularly if he ups his 3 PT %, but I do not really see a case he was an efficient scorer last year based on the above.

Analytics in sports has it's place, but it also has its limitations. A player shoots 50% from 2 is equal to someone who shoots 33% from 3. IMO it isn't that clean. What is the result of the 17% more possessions that result in missed shots by the 3 point shooter? Long rebounds and fast break baskets for the opponent?

I expect NWB will be more efficient next year as he gets consistent minutes. But too many posters focus on NWB's 3 point shooting. I think it is more critical that Nick shoots 47-50% on his 2 point shots. If he can finish at a high rate near the basket, that will create open 3 point shots for Wigginton, Jackson, Brase, etc.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Help Support Us

Become a patron