How fast is Blythe?

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I know at 6'5", he's probably going to be thought of as more of a possession receiver, but I was wondering what range is 40 time is in? Can he get under 4.6?

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
If he's anything better than a 4.6, then hell be a 1st day pick next year.

Being 6'5", he's got some long legs and can outrun just about any DB in the NCAA. Let's hope Chiz gets him the ball more than Dmac did. I think he could be a first day pick, but he'll need to prove that he can run after the catch this year.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Last year you could tell he was tentative at first and had some noticable drops, but was stronger as the year went on and he got confidence in his knee.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Being 6'5", he's got some long legs and can outrun just about any DB in the NCAA. Let's hope Chiz gets him the ball more than Dmac did. I think he could be a first day pick, but he'll need to prove that he can run after the catch this year.

Does this mean no "down and outs" or sideline routes where he gets pinned between the defender and sideline?

I'd like to see Chiz use him as a slot receiver (isolated on a safety or nickel back), Run some motion so he can see what defenders are going to be following him, crossing routes, and some posts down the middle of the field. Put him in position to catch the ball instead of catching it with one foot out-of-bounds.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that every hundreth that he can knock off that 40 time at the combine is worth thousands of dollars to him. If he can run sub 4.55, he's a first day pick. If he runs sub 4.50, he's 2nd round at least if not late first.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

I think the correct issue about Blythe's speed is that Meyer consistently under threw him, negating TB's speed most of the time.

- keep

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
Does this mean no "down and outs" or sideline routes where he gets pinned between the defender and sideline?

I'd like to see Chiz use him as a slot receiver (isolated on a safety or nickel back), Run some motion so he can see what defenders are going to be following him, crossing routes, and some posts down the middle of the field. Put him in position to catch the ball instead of catching it with one foot out-of-bounds.

I personally like seeing Blythe catch sideline grabs for 12 yards here and there. However, I think that if that is the only attempts he gets, the he is being underutilized. I agree that he needs catches in the open field, but I don't know about his after-the-catch running ability. I hope he is used in more routes than just sideliners and I really hope that Chiz is not afraid to throw a few deep to him each game. Let's see the O-line give Meyer some time and let Blythe get 40 yards down field.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
I think the correct issue about Blythe's speed is that Meyer consistently under threw him, negating TB's speed most of the time.

- keep

Our O-line was anything but impressive last year. Meyer rarely had time to get the ball deep to him. The only thing that worked consistently was the fades for 12 yards that Blythe could go up to catch.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Our O-line was anything but impressive last year. Meyer rarely had time to get the ball deep to him. The only thing that worked consistently was the fades for 12 yards that Blythe could go up to catch.

Right, but ISU did not even utilize that. They pretty much forgot Todd was on the team. Of course he was pretty sick 1/2 the season last year. Let's hope this is his breakout year, the guy has a boatload of potential, but ISU is not using it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If Todd doesn't have at least 6-8 catches for 100+ yards in our first game - I'll be a little upset. We need to get Meyer and Blythe into a nice rhythm right away. Time to stop treating him like a secret weapon.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
Right, but ISU did not even utilize that. They pretty much forgot Todd was on the team. Of course he was pretty sick 1/2 the season last year. Let's hope this is his breakout year, the guy has a boatload of potential, but ISU is not using it.

I completely agree. My point was just that when they threw to Blythe, it was only the 12 yard fade, nothing utilizing his speed. The man averages 18+ yards per catch over his career. Lets get him more than 34 catches this season. I think he needs to be thrown to at least 10 times per game.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
keep in mind that blythe isn't the only receiver on our team.

I agree as well, and I think the other receivers are going to play a key role in not just Blythe's success, but our offenses success. I think it will be important for the other receivers to take some of the double teams off of Blythe so we can get him open. I think I'm just focusing on Blythe for the purpose of this topic but also because I think that he could have a future in the bigs as long as he develops further this season.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
keep in mind that blythe isn't the only receiver on our team.

By golly, I wasn't aware of this! :rolleyes5cz:

Seriously, if our offense is going to have success - we need the ball in the hands of our best players. Blythe is clearly one of them.

Didn't work so well last season when we were playing the "Blythe isn't the only receiver on our team" bit - healthy or on the sidelines.

Look at teams that deliberately try not to overuse their good players and how often they fail. That seemed to be us last year - however our lack of passes to Blythe was easily not the only reason we were 4-8.

But it sure didn't help.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I just read something the other day ranking the top 10 senior and junior prospects by position for the 2008 NFL draft and there was not a single ISU player on the list. If Blythe has a good year I think he'll get picked but right now I doubt he'd go 1st day if the draft were held today. That's just my opinion, I think Blythe would be a steal for anyone but I'm curious to see what he'll run his 40 in because he uses his height and size more than his speed I think and teams seem to put a lot of stock into that 40 time.

I'd think if Bowen has another year like last year he'll get a look too. Meyer would have to have a spectacular year I think to get drafted. Right now I'm not so sure he would get drafted at all. He's been inconsistent and his decision making at times is questionable. This is a make or break season for some of these seniors in regards to improving their draft stock. Troy Smith won the Heisman and got picked in the 5th round. I would consider him a better prospect than Meyer.