How many have son(s)/daughter(s) at ISU?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
My daughter was pissed when she found out they would have nursing about 2 years later than she needed. Reminded of me when they raised the drinking age to 21 shortly before I turned 19.

Ya my daughter wasn't happy either..... And your talking about the drinking age going up to 21 tells me we're the same age........LOL

Going through all the picking college and filling out scholarship stuff and still being fresh in my mind, the one thing that would have made it good if they had a nursing program earlier was the much more available scholarship opportunities at the major schools vs the privates like Mercy College. Her friends that went to ISU had a lot more opportunity for scholarships than my daughter had. Maybe it gets offset by the job opportunity prospects after graduation but a lot more opportunity when you go to the bigger state colleges. Her tuition for one year is more than my entire 5 yrs at ISU cost me when I graduated in 1991.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
1 girl is equal to about 3-4 boys. You have the rougher job.

I can confirm this at 100% truth and the ratio might even be a bit light at that. I've got 3 daughters, all of which are teenagers. Never know what kind of **** storm I am going to walk into at any moment. And it can go good and change in a heartbeat.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

The parade of girlfriends who have come and gone through the house makes me tend to agree with this. One son has had three different girlfriends named Rachel and they were all cases. One seemed to only eat catsup. She would go pour herself a glass from the refrigerator. One spent all of her time on the phone talking gossip about other girls. The last one dumped him as soon as he helped her pass Geometry. Things seem to be going better with Amber.

Other than the expenses of food and education and the crazy girlfriends, my boys really haven’t been much trouble. We may have to get a snowblower when the nest is empty.

• Funny
Reactions: CascadeClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Unfortunately not, mine chose Arizona St because she didn't want to go to school in the town she grew up and wanted to go somewhere warm. At least their colors are similar.

Growing up in Ames, she wanted to get out of Ames. It was between the good guys and the SOE. At least one color is similar.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
We are both ISU grads. Our older daughter is a junior at ISU studying business and just loves it there. Our high school son plans to go to ISU to study engineering. Our kids in middle school don’t know what they want to do but they want to go to ISU when the time comes.

We’ve told them from the day they were born that they can go wherever they want for college but if they go to Iowa we’re cutting them out of our will.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My worst nightmare. Giving money to U of Douche

My boys are all many years off from school choices. Right now my oldest would choose MIT over anything else. If he does stay in state, ISU would probably be a better choice for engineering though. Middle kid wants to be a geologist or a chef. Or a rock chef maybe? He's got 9 more years though.

It's often as simple as what majors they offer. I was the biggest Iowa fan possible for a kid. Football, basketball and especially wrestling going to their camps all the time. ISU had great programs in both majors I was interested in (included my actual degree I use every day) and Iowa had neither.

Freshman year was a struggle as a sports fan, didn't want to be an a-hole but was still a Hawkeye fan of sorts, probably true that I "cheered for both"...by my sophomore year I was 100% Cyclone fanatic all the way partying on Welch as we broke Iowa's football rivalry streak. There's WHO tv footage of me jumping off the top of a car into the camera, the turn can happen that drastically.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

So are you telling me I am equivalently raising 12-16 boys at the moment?!

Oldest is a freshman in HS and wants to be a vet, so not sure she will look much further than out our front door. We had a school discussion when she was potentially thinking of playing a sport in college, looking at different options for D1 vs other types of schools. I mentioned Central because she has been to Pella, one of her coaches went there, etc. "How far away is that?" About an hour. "That is sooo far away!" Somehow we raised a homebody. The next one is in 6th grade and through camps offered through ISU is interested in engineering, so ISU is a logical place. She is already planning on doing her laundry and eating at home.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
My youngest is a freshman there and my oldest was there for 2 years before deciding to become a nurse. She LOVED ISU but no nursing school at ISU. Tough decision for her but a good one. I'll be heading up to Ames very soon to throw a load of crap in my car as the frosh wraps up year 1. She loves it. They both grew up in Hawkeye country. My oldest HATES the Hawks but my youngest has a bunch of friends there and doesn't hate them like I raised her to.

This must have been a few years ago, because they have nursing now correct ? A few years ago they added it I believe.

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Wife and I both graduates of ISU. 2 daughters, one just graduated from ISU last year and the second will graduate in 2 other years (knocking on wood). Our license plate says "4for4" and the reason for that is due to the 4 ISU members of my family. I never thought the oldest daugher would attend ISU, but when the boyfriend decided to go to school there, she followed him 2 years later. Worked out well, they got married this past summer. Cy even came to the reception to celebrate with them. Good times...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
My eldest daughter, who is a senior in HS, just made the decision a few weeks back to attend ISU next Fall. She had been accepted at Grinnell College and another private school in Ohio, but ultimately chose ISU over them! As an ISU alumnus, I am especially excited about the outcome of her decision (and it was totally hers, btw). So, I wondered how many of you CF'ers have kids at ISU & what's been their experience so far?

My daughter is finishing up her freshman year at ISU. It's been an emotionally draining year for her on campus being so far from home and making friends has been really really hard for her.

Following orientation she was SO excited because the school did an AMAZING job of putting kids together in groups to meet people while the parents were off on their own. So she assumed that school starting would be very similar.......... nope. The girl whom was supposed to be her roommate had apparently not notified anybody that she wasn't going to ISU after all, so she went the whole year with no roommate. She lives in the new dorm, Geoffroy, and come to find out her floor is part of the W.I.S.E. community (women in science and engineering), so the kids get to their rooms and shut their doors, and there's no functions/parties between floors. She came back to Texas during Spring Break and it was 80-degrees, and toured TCU and a couple other local schools because she's so homesick.

BUT, since spring break she's had a change of heart. She's been inducted into two honor societies, and elected as an office in one group as well as elected as an office in Collegiate Women in Business. She's told me she's dropping her minor to add a second major, and because of her grades she's been accepted into the Professional Program as a freshman and can begin taking classes in her major. And she has signed a lease for next year with a girl she befriended at orientation. All this just in time to come home for the summer.

But she still says the weather sucked until today where she phoned to tell me she's sitting on her Mexican blanket by campanile while she studies. And suddenly I'm jealous.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My daughter is finishing up her freshman year at ISU. It's been an emotionally draining year for her on campus being so far from home and making friends has been really really hard for her.

Following orientation she was SO excited because the school did an AMAZING job of putting kids together in groups to meet people while the parents were off on their own. So she assumed that school starting would be very similar.......... nope. The girl whom was supposed to be her roommate had apparently not notified anybody that she wasn't going to ISU after all, so she went the whole year with no roommate. She lives in the new dorm, Geoffroy, and come to find out her floor is part of the W.I.S.E. community (women in science and engineering), so the kids get to their rooms and shut their doors, and there's no functions/parties between floors. She came back to Texas during Spring Break and it was 80-degrees, and toured TCU and a couple other local schools because she's so homesick.

BUT, since spring break she's had a change of heart. She's been inducted into two honor societies, and elected as an office in one group as well as elected as an office in Collegiate Women in Business. She's told me she's dropping her minor to add a second major, and because of her grades she's been accepted into the Professional Program as a freshman and can begin taking classes in her major. And she has signed a lease for next year with a girl she befriended at orientation. All this just in time to come home for the summer.

But she still says the weather sucked until today where she phoned to tell me she's sitting on her Mexican blanket by campanile while she studies. And suddenly I'm jealous.

It takes them all a while to settle in. I was afraid my Cyclone boys would just hang out with high school friends, but they have done a nice job of meeting new people and staying in touch with old friends.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
My son is a sophomore at Iowa State. His younger sister however is a freshman at Iowa...which he takes as a sign of bad parenting on my part! (for the record, she is studying creative writing which they likely do have better program in, at least at the graduate level). If it redeems me at all, my youngest, a junior in HS is thinking ISU.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It takes them all a while to settle in. I was afraid my Cyclone boys would just hang out with high school friends, but they have done a nice job of meeting new people and staying in touch with old friends.

There's a phenomena that she's stumbled onto that I hadn't recognized at my days at ISU. My daughter has become a little United Nations, of sorts. Her best friend on campus is Puerto Rican. Her other closest friends are African American, Chinese, and Ecuadorian. My little girl is pasty white, and I couldn't be more proud of her. But what she noticed is that the kids from Iowa tend to be friends with the kids from Iowa, the kids from Minnesota tend to be friends with kids from Minnesota, and the kids from Chicago tend to be friends with the kids from Chicago... with few exceptions. She said, "dad, there's honestly just not enough kids from Texas here apparently; at least based on the way the social groups form". But her African American friend is, in fact, from Dallas and the two of them are close and have decided to rent a townhouse together next year.

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
There's a phenomena that she's stumbled onto that I hadn't recognized at my days at ISU. My daughter has become a little United Nations, of sorts. Her best friend on campus is Puerto Rican. Her other closest friends are African American, Chinese, and Ecuadorian. My little girl is pasty white, and I couldn't be more proud of her. But what she noticed is that the kids from Iowa tend to be friends with the kids from Iowa, the kids from Minnesota tend to be friends with kids from Minnesota, and the kids from Chicago tend to be friends with the kids from Chicago... with few exceptions. She said, "dad, there's honestly just not enough kids from Texas here apparently; at least based on the way the social groups form". But her African American friend is, in fact, from Dallas and the two of them are close and have decided to rent a townhouse together next year.

One of my boys roomed with his best friend from high school who spent all of his time with his high maintenance girlfriend. When she dumped him, at least my son could introduce him to all of his friends he had met their freshman year.

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
Two brothers, myself, my son and now my nephew at the good guys. Two daughters, a son in law with a law degree and a neice now at U of I, and youngest son done with UW Madison. Glad ours have graduated. Starting to enjoy grandkids now!