How many people donated to We Will today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
No, you're trying to play on people's emotions by using personal stories of our favorite players in an attempt to guilt us into donating. I'm not falling for it, like i said, plenty of people are struggling right now.
Wow, you were taking this way too personal. I just stated facts. However you interpret them is up to you.

Reactions: MisterO

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
It really is unfortunate the turn that college sports have made over the past 10ish years. In terms of the current climate, the reason we are where we are is because fans overall continue to pump more and more money into college sports, whether it be tickets, apparel, NIL, eyeballs on the TV set which generate advertising dollars, etc. The schools and athletic programs are allowing simple economics to dictate how much they need to invest directly. If the fans will pay higher ticket prices, pay the NIL dollars, etc, then they are going to let them. It's unfortunate, but not totally wrong on their part. The flip side of this is that the schools and AD's can't necessarily be looked at as innocent non-profit entities any longer. This has all turned into a business, plain and simple. From my vantage point, I'm just not onboard to pump money into NIL nor spend a ton of money on tickets and apparel. As an alum I love Iowa State and I always want the athletics programs to succeed, but I don't feel like a bad person or fan if I don't invest a lot of money in the product. If fans want to buy tickets, support NIL, etc, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also, as a minimal investor, can not complain much if the performance and facilities are lacking. It's a purchasing/investment decision just like any other such decision. I think the best thing that could happen to college athletics would be for the pendulum to swing back hard the other direction, and for fans to refuse to pump a lot of money into it. That would hopefully restore the sacredness of college athletics, but we all know that is a pipe dream. It is what it is at this point (football and basketball at least).....it's semi-pro athletics, no longer college athletics. I guess I'm just a traditionalist that hopes that the traditions and special-ness of college sports would come back.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think we do have some meaningful value. Anthony Johnson’s family was able to come watch him play for senior day, Isaiah Lee was able to take his sister that he is raising to the dentist and buy her school supplies. We helped O’Rien Vance fix his broken down car when he had no other option. I’m not saying we’re fighting trafficking or cancer, but this isn’t the Texas RB getting a Lamborghini either.
All this stuff is fantastic and you're doing a very positive thing. The problem is this stuff is not where all the money is going, and I don't want my money going to the shady side of college athletics.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have said I buy apparel that is licensed to athletes at ISU. I get to decide where that money goes. But that’s not good enough for people like you apparently.
This is so stupid. Unless the athletes are buying the fabrics and making the ******* jerseys themselves 95% to the athlete is never happening in normal America. Not even with charities.

Also, stop lying that you can't choose where your donation goes.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You have done a lot more than watching. Please review your posts on this thread.
And all of mine were saying both sides have a right to a respective argument and shouldn’t be shamed either way. Go read them again.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
This is completely ridiculous, it's fan shaming at its finest. I see people all over the state in Iowa State gear that look like they don't have much of anything else.

You think everyone can afford all this stuff that supposedly makes you a better fan?
Not at all. Every post I make on this subject I always put a caveat in it and say, if you’re financially able to do so. There’s no shaming, no judgment, and I don’t think a giving fan is better than a non-giving fan.
BUT- The Collective is where things are going and there’s no excuse for someone who claims to be a fan (like someone who goes to a fan site like this), and can afford to contribute even just $10/month, not to contribute, no excuse. All of the moral posturing, questions about methods, and all the other excuses- are just that, excuses.
If you claim to be a fan and can do so- write a check, and certainly don’t dissuade others from contributing as I’ve seen some ‘fans’ around here do. That makes me think you want us to fail.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This is so stupid. Unless the athletes are buying the fabrics and making the ******* jerseys themselves 95% to the athlete is never happening in normal America. Not even with charities.

Also, stop lying that you can't choose where your donation goes.

I asked Blum if it could be earmarked to a player. The way I understood it was no, it gets decided by a council. Did I misunderstand that @brentblum?

Reactions: agentbear

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Closing this overly derailed and semi personal thread. It’s sad because Brent has been posting very valuable and insightful information, it’s driven donations, and people that don’t want to give have been called fake fans. All very sad.

Open a new thread with a more narrow focus if you want to continue. But stop shaming either direction or sending personal messages via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron