How many scholarships does TJ have left to give for next year?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
After this season so far, it’s not like staying another year would improve his NBA stock - just make him another year older. He’s probably undersized, but his athleticism could offset that a bit. If he doesn’t want to toil in G-League, there will definitely be money to be had overseas.
It is sad but true, the NBA doesn't want seasoned college players.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
After this season so far, it’s not like staying another year would improve his NBA stock - just make him another year older. He’s probably undersized, but his athleticism could offset that a bit. If he doesn’t want to toil in G-League, there will definitely be money to be had overseas.
A blueblood could pay him more in NIL?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
So is this Brockington‘s COVID year? I thought he was a senior but the consensus here seems to be he cam doesn’t have another year. Would love to see him come back another year. He’s a baller

He's playing himself into possibly being a second round pick next year. I would take a flyer on him if I were an nba GM.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's playing himself into possibly being a second round pick next year. I would take a flyer on him if I were an nba GM.
THT is the best example of why he won't. Brockington is having a far better year than Talen ever did but that drafting on potential is real.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It is sad but true, the NBA doesn't want seasoned college players.

Plenty of good reasons for that, but I’m glad the G-League is turning into a legitimate path for guys that might otherwise get overlooked.

A blueblood could pay him more in NIL?

Maybe? But he already used his redshirt year after transferring to Penn State, and his one-time no-sit this year, so that would require a literal gamble that the NCAA would grant another waiver. Also: after 5 years, I was definitely ready to be done with college.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Niang and Monte made in league as 4 year guys. So Brockington is one more year older big deal.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Maybe? But he already used his redshirt year after transferring to Penn State, and his one-time no-sit this year, so that would require a literal gamble that the NCAA would grant another waiver. Also: after 5 years, I was definitely ready to be done with college.
He still has one more year here though. Maybe we can pay

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We know there will be at least 1 more available scholly open besides those used by the 3 freshmen and King transfer. I realize you win with guards alot of times, or scorers, and perhaps even positionless basketball, ....but I hope TJ spends his 'entire' efforts, maybe even a donor's NIL offer (just threw that in for giggles), to bring in an experienced transfer that CAN POST UP OCCASIONALLY AND FORCE THE DEFENSE TO DEFEND CLOSE TO THE BASKET, PROVIDE AT LEAST SOME POST THREAT....it seems like its been a long, long time. I feel like a few nifty moves by a Niang or a Fizer were centuries ago.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
We know there will be at least 1 more available scholly open besides those used by the 3 freshmen and King transfer. I realize you win with guards alot of times, or scorers, and perhaps even positionless basketball, ....but I hope TJ spends his 'entire' efforts, maybe even a donor's NIL offer (just threw that in for giggles), to bring in an experienced transfer that CAN POST UP OCCASIONALLY AND FORCE THE DEFENSE TO DEFEND CLOSE TO THE BASKET, PROVIDE AT LEAST SOME POST THREAT....it seems like its been a long, long time. I feel like a few nifty moves by a Niang or a Fizer were centuries ago.
I don't think a guy that can post up helps much tonight. We couldn't get into our offense. We would have struggled to get them the ball to post up. And with our shooting struggles, they'd double and swarm without regard.

We need another guard that can shoot and/or another guy that can create. With IB not being allowed to go left, we had no one that could create and finish (not sure why Enaruna didn't get more time)

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don't think a guy that can post up helps much tonight. We couldn't get into our offense. We would have struggled to get them the ball to post up. And with our shooting struggles, they'd double and swarm without regard.

We need another guard that can shoot and/or another guy that can create. With IB not being allowed to go left, we had no one that could create and finish (not sure why Enaruna didn't get more time)

I get your point in some ways, but not sure I totally agree. I don't know much about coaching basketball, and yes without IB we will need a scorer/shooter, but I don't think TECH could have played that suffocating and denying every cut if we had a post scoring threat, at least for entry and kick outs.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I get your point in some ways, but not sure I totally agree. I don't know much about coaching basketball, and yes without IB we will need a scorer/shooter, but I don't think TECH could have played that suffocating and denying every cut if we had a post scoring threat, at least for entry and kick outs.
I mean, would I take one in general? Sure.

Would they help a lot tonight? I don't think so. We could not get into our offense, which has to happen before you can utilize a low block scorer. The issue was the on-ball pressure in combination with not being allowed to move (a common problem in CBB this year). If anything, it clogs up the backcut for the wings.

If we're adding a big, they need to be able to shoot 3P and/or create, so the high ball screen is hard to defend. With Gabe and Hunter, and Conditt, we are very easy to defend. Change Conditt to a low block guy with this shooting, and the smothering just get worse.

I'm not sure why we don't see more of Kunc and Enaruna together

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
We could definitely benefit from another player who can create their own shot like IB can. Let’s be honest - he’s the only guy on the team that he’s the skill or the balls to hit that contested 3 that turned into an and-1. He misses that shot and it’s very possible we lose tonight.

that said, I think Grill still hasn’t hit his ceiling, Hunter will mature a lot throughout this year, and Eruna could be really special. King looks like he brings a different element to the team that we don’t have now so might be alright. But feel like our offense could take a step back with no IB even if all the others stay.

Perhaps even higher on my wish list is a true knock-down 3 point shooter. Our lack of a legit 3 point threat is making things easier on defenses facing us

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
So is this Brockington‘s COVID year? I thought he was a senior but the consensus here seems to be he cam doesn’t have another year. Would love to see him come back another year. He’s a baller

This is one of those situations that would be perfect for a corporate Cyclone to step up and offer a one-year NIL deal he can't refuse. Would love to see it. We have no one that can fill his shoes next year. Without him this year, we are probably sitting at about 5 wins right now.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
But feel like our offense could take a step back with no IB even if all the others stay.

Not even sure what taking a step back would look like after last night. I shudder to think of what it would be like to not have Brockington right now.

Reactions: twincyties

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
THT is the best example of why he won't. Brockington is having a far better year than Talen ever did but that drafting on potential is real.
The draft is about trying find a star. The past month has shown that there are NBA bench and rotation players available at a moment's notice walking the streets.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If Brockington goes pro and works on his outside shot, he could definitely find a bench spot in the league. Whether he works on it in the GL or overseas really doesn't matter. But I think if his play continues he will earn a GL deal at least.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
The draft is about trying find a star. The past month has shown that there are NBA bench and rotation players available at a moment's notice walking the streets.

Agree wholeheartedly. Its almost like you can watch a player a few games and just tell he has that NBA 'it' factor. Often long before he's a junior or senior. I thought Kane had it, but guess not.

On a side note, I have to admit after just watching the Wisc/Iowa game...I absolutely can't wait for TJ / ISU to get a Johnny Davis/ Keegan Murray talent again on our roster. Jeff Grayer types...smooth and versatile. Other than Haliburton, I feel like we've been watching a basket of role players for the last 5 years.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
[QUOTE="allfourcy, post: 8120915, member:
On a side note, I have to admit after just watching the Wisc/Iowa game...I absolutely can't wait for TJ / ISU to get a Johnny Davis/ Keegan Murray talent again on our roster. Jeff Grayer types...smooth and versatile. Other than Haliburton, I feel like we've been watching a basket of role players for the last 5 years.
[/QUOTE]

Shayok?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Agree wholeheartedly. Its almost like you can watch a player a few games and just tell he has that NBA 'it' factor. Often long before he's a junior or senior. I thought Kane had it, but guess not.

Haliburton in 19-20. That 2018-19 team had plenty non-role players.

So basically last year and this year. Brockington is incredibly athletic at 6’4” and making the midseason awards.

What are you talking about?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Haliburton in 19-20. That 2018-19 team had plenty non-role players.

So basically last year and this year. Brockington is incredibly athletic at 6’4” and making the midseason awards.

What are you talking about?

Read, please. I said "besides Haliburton". So I was including him. Just saying Davis/Murray (like Haliburton) will be first rounders in the draft. Hope TJ can pull in a few of these while here, that's all.

Help Support Us

Become a patron