How much do you give to your church?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I feel like I'm missing something here.

Yeah, that post read like it came from this guy...

Sorry... here:

My dogs purpose is to retrieve dead things (ducks and geese mainly) and when she can't do that anymore she will go out into a field, be placed in a hole, and shot in the head just like those who came before her.

See, a dog is just another animal - a tool - an ends to a mean and when the tool no longer does what it is supposed to do - well, goodbye.

They are not people. I wish people would get as worked up about the human abuse and neglect that is around as they do about a damn dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
10% gross. Another 2-3% for missionaries (mostly to Muslim countries). Wife also occasionally gives to random charities (i.e. using Amazon credit to donate baby supplies to an orphanage in Haiti).

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
We give 3% of our combined net income. This is our 1st year at this particular church, so we feel comfortable with our giving at this time.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder what drives that assertion.

We shoot for 10% total gross, 5% to the local parish, 3-4% to other charities, and the remainder to the Diocese.

Here in our parish (Catholic in NW Houston) we have a very generous parish. I would say the average is well over 10% in total giving.

No amount of giving to a church is going to get you into the big doghouse in the sky.

God is a black lab.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Somewhere close to 10%. I'm on commission so it's tough to know exactly. We made the commitment to give the full 10% over a year ago, after being afraid of giving that much because of our debt. Since then, my wife has received a 5% raise at her job and I am now a new business owner making a good 10-15% more per year. Not saying that God is going to bless you financially if you give 10%, but He will definitely bless you.

Of course, you should ONLY give out joy. If you're not, you're wasting your time.

Let's just say that is not exactly biblically accurate.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
10% of net, which for my household was 12 kajllion dollars last year. Had a very good year.
I say the latter in reference to a thread earlier this year where everyone posted what their net worth was, & 90% was pure BS.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Random question for a Thursday. For those who belong to a church, I'm curious what dollar amount or percentage of income you give. I was raised Catholic and 10% was the number drilled into your head. In my current church I once heard a figure that the congregation average is something very low, like 1%. I've always wondered what people actually give, in practice.

(Please stay on topic. I am not seeking to start an argument between people who are religious and those who aren't. I'm not trying to shame anyone or make anyone feel guilty. I'm not trying to start a debate about what you should or shouldn't give or why you do or don't. I'm asking a very narrow question.)

It occurred to me that I asked the question and didn't volunteer an answer myself. We're around 2%. Used to be higher but then we had kids. We donate outside the church as well.

Apr 19, 2006
When I go I usually just throw what cash I have in my wallet. I usually don't carry much cash anymore so it's far less then 10%.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
10% to the church of Cyclone athletics. Does that count?

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
12 - 15 percent of gross income to local church. Also sponsor two kids overseas with world vision. All told, about $1400 per month.

Last edited: