How much we paying this new track coach

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Well....here we go. I also happen to be a former Iowa State Track and Field athlete. I was during the Steve Lynn Era. My thoughts on Martin are:

He was hired to bring Iowa State to a national prominence in Cross Country. I believe he has already achieved this.

He was hired to coach cross country as well as be head coach for track and field. My gut tells me he is issuing cross country scholarships, and then he is also issuing track and field scholarships to recruit kids who can also run cross country. He is giving up on track and field. While I was a sprinter/ mid distance runner, this is the correct thing to do. As one mentioned earlier, we can not compete with the south schools when sprinting / mid distances are 1/2 the races. If you noticed Oklahoma State and Colorado are orchestrated the exact same way.

Another insite is the Track Program has been use to the ways of Bergen, Lynn, and Ihmels which is basically a highly intelligent coach who is also very loving and fatherly. Martin isn't, and honestly......change can offend some people. I have spoken to Martin before, while I will not for second act like I know 100% of what is going on now, my guess is what I mentioned above. Scratch Track and go for the Cross Country Title. Its tough to be good at 2 things so you might as well be really good at 1.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Well....here we go. I also happen to be a former Iowa State Track and Field athlete. I was during the Steve Lynn Era. My thoughts on Martin are:

He was hired to bring Iowa State to a national prominence in Cross Country. I believe he has already achieved this.

He was hired to coach cross country as well as be head coach for track and field. My gut tells me he is issuing cross country scholarships, and then he is also issuing track and field scholarships to recruit kids who can also run cross country. He is giving up on track and field. While I was a sprinter/ mid distance runner, this is the correct thing to do. As one mentioned earlier, we can not compete with the south schools when sprinting / mid distances are 1/2 the races. If you noticed Oklahoma State and Colorado are orchestrated the exact same way.

Another insite is the Track Program has been use to the ways of Bergen, Lynn, and Ihmels which is basically a highly intelligent coach who is also very loving and fatherly. Martin isn't, and honestly......change can offend some people. I have spoken to Martin before, while I will not for second act like I know 100% of what is going on now, my guess is what I mentioned above. Scratch Track and go for the Cross Country Title. Its tough to be good at 2 things so you might as well be really good at 1.

This may all be true and sounds logical but also sounds very self serving when this transition happens just as JP has a son entering the program as a cross country / track athlete.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009

My husband thinks the same, that the coach is choosing to focus on distance with a few good throwers thrown in the mix. With the right kids, in the right year, you can definitely win championships that way, but it won't happen right away.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
My husband thinks the same, that the coach is choosing to focus on distance with a few good throwers thrown in the mix. With the right kids, in the right year, you can definitely win championships that way, but it won't happen right away.

It's an interesting approach, and could certainly explain why there was a significant change in the team make-up. What is difficult to understand is why the transition was handled as reported above. Why not just come out and say that is what's happening? People will figure it out soon enough anyway. Also, the scholarship manipultion sounds like it just asking for trouble. I hope that isn't going on.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I sure hope someone - hopefully the OP - sends a copy of that post to JP - and has the balls to sign it too. (if it is the OP)

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

You are correct Colorado won the Big 12 outdoor meet in 2008 with 1 sprinter, 1 thrower, and 8 of the top 10 in the 5000. They also did well in the 1500 and steeple.

DogBoy1

Jul 17, 2010
I sure hope someone - hopefully the OP - sends a copy of that post to JP - and has the balls to sign it too. (if it is the OP)

JP seems to like the guy and looks the other way to the T&F results (Ed K and the women thrower were here before this dud) and the fact he seems to be a butthole in treatment of some kids. Seems like CC is our future.
Oregon has really gone downhill since he left right?