How much would you pay...

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this, but sometimes I find myself betting on Iowa or against ISU, with the thought that even if I don't get the outcome I want (ISU winning or Iowa losing) that at least I'll make some money off of it. Today when Iowa came back and won, which lead to me winning my bet, I said to my buddies that I would gladly lose the money to watch Iowa lose. This lead to the discussion...

If you could pay a certain amount to guarantee Iowa State wins a game (football or basketball), how much would you pay?
If you could pay a certain amount to guarantee Iowa loses a game (football or basketball), how much would you pay?

A couple rules:
- Not paying does not guarantee the opposite result. (ie If I pay 10 bucks to win the Kansas game and that's it, it doesn't mean we go 1-25)
- End of season tournaments or playoffs are not buyable.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If the cost is only $10/game put me down for every road game and I'll take my chances on the home games.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't get the point of the exercise...

It's sports. This is why we play the games. I don't really want any guaranteed wins. I mean how fun is buying ku at home and on the road every year?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The only thing I'd agree with here is betting money on Iowa is a win/win, you end up with money or squak teers.

I guess the only intriguing question would be is what is the threshold when the amount is to large you rather get your money back over an Iowa loss.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
While I understand the sentiment, the answer to your second question should be $0. Take whatever money you would pay to guarantee a Hawkeye loss and donate to the Cyclones.

As far as the first question, one regular season win is not worth much.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I’d probably pay $20 for ISU to win every game. After it seems to be working and I’m confident in the outcomes, I’d go place bigger wagers on it, so I’d end up making a ton of money. Sounds like the sports almanac to me.

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
I’m big on emotional hedge bets and have unfortunately made a lot of money bettering against isu.

$10 per game just to hedge it
Extra $10 if we’re favored
Additional extra $10 if we’re playing ******