How to continue Jack Trice's legacy in future years?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
RIP to Jack Trice. Great job by everyone involved with the 100th anniversary events. It's always been clear to me that Jack should be an annual thing and I hope the positive reception to this game (etc) helps make that happen.

Around 2016, I wrote several stories on my site about the need for a jersey patch or helmet sticker, Jack Trice scholarship, Trice throwbacks every 4/5 years, and a logo that is a nod to Jack's five stripe jersey. Check.

Now that 2023 is over with, how can we move forward? Here are some new ideas:

Football Program:

1.) Award Jack's jersey number 37 to a special player every year. Make it a tiny event.

2.) Perhaps create a mini Trice "museum" room in the football building that has a 1923 jersey replica, Curtis Hotel desk (I have pictures), etc.

Annual Trice Legacy Game:

3.) Every five years (105th, 110th, etc.) roll out new Trice-inspired throwback uniforms, so most players experience it once.

4.) In between those years, do a simple Trice game throwback helmet decal with normal uniforms. Rotate the design.

5.) End zones should say AMES or ISC or similar.

6.) Have a national figure appear at the game, speak to players, fans, etc. Ex: Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a great activist. (Kinda like GameDay guest picker, but meaningful.)

Merchandise:

7.) Pull back on items with Trice logo. Make it special. Permanent donation xx% of gross revenue to charity (can rotate which one yearly).

8.) Let players create an unique Trice design for the season - use on team gear. Sell it as a limited edition collection.

Marketing:

9.) I might have missed it, but did the Big 12 care about this event? Twist their arms to really hype it up every year going forward.

10.) Have a student competition every year for a Trice project. Maybe it's a short documentary, a new poster design, an agriculture project in a poor area, etc.

What are your own ideas?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The #37 needs to be made more prominent.

Last night, I wore an official Iowa State #37 gold jersey.

Talked to a lot of people who thought #23 was his number and had to be reminded that it's for the 100th anniversary.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
The #37 needs to be made more prominent.

Last night, I wore an official Iowa State #37 gold jersey.

Talked to a lot of people who thought #23 was his number and had to be reminded that it's for the 100th anniversary.
23 is because it's 2023. They have been doing the year for the fan jerseys the last several years.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I agree that it seems disappointing that the conference doesn’t get behind this more. Hopefully not a reflection of our southern teams.

I was not that aware that JT wore #37, so doubt that just wearing the number would be impactful.

I would not retire the number for the same reason. No one would know.

I like the idea of making #37 special. Award it to a special player.

Can uni numbers be changed each week? Would be special to award the JT #37 jersey to a deserving player each week of the season.

Kinda like Walden awarding honor red helmets. j/k

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
We don't need an activist and wish that terminology didn't exist. Just a present day success story that had dedication and perseverance that would embody the Trice attitude expressed in his letter. Better if it wasn't an athlete since most college athletes will never see the pro ranks.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The ISU players should vote for a former player who most exemplifies the things Jack stood for, (honor, integrity, community service) and have that player lead them on the field for the memorial game each season. A nice pewter Trice Legacy trophy could be awarded to the player to keep for their year in Jack's honor, and they could then present it to the next year's winner, maybe say a few words at the game.

Let's make sure the Trice Legacy has a lasting meaning in the present for ISU football, not just be something we memorialize from its past.

Also, regular raids of the football facilities at the university of Minnesota.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I like the idea of having the first game of October always designated as the Trice game, home or away. And have it be just an alternate helmet. And then have a full retro uniform tribute game every five years.

And as for a helmet, what about a Trice stripe helmet alternate that has the Trice stripes chevron very large and at the front of the helmet and going way back kind of like the Michigan helmet design. Maybe it’d look bad but might just be cool. Can someone create that graphic?

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ29 and Cy4Lifer

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Sell the 5 bar flags (the clean, vintage 1922 ones- not those with a giant Iowa State or Ames font) in every possible uniform color scheme (especially for the Jack Trice game, which should become an annual thing). I like flying a 5 bar flag on game days and have had multiple neighbors ask me about it.

I’ve got two and try to alternate based on what the team is wearing, but I only know of three vintage 1922 style ones total right now (black and white stripes, cardinal and gold, gold and cardinal).

Donate a portion of the revenue collected to a scholarship in his name.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The ISU players should vote for a former player who most exemplifies the things Jack stood for, (honor, integrity, community service) and have that player lead them on the field for the memorial game each season. A nice pewter Trice Legacy trophy could be awarded to the player to keep for their year in Jack's honor, and they could then present it to the next year's winner, maybe say a few words at the game.

Let's make sure the Trice Legacy has a lasting meaning in the present for ISU football, not just be something we memorialize from its past.

Also, regular raids of the football facilities at the university of Minnesota.

At the Sunday commemoration event, they announced that Gerry Vaughn was named to get a Jack Trice award for character that resembled Jack Trice.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
More Trice stripes! Loved the unis last week and hope to see them more. They'd look great when we go all black!

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
RIP to Jack Trice. Great job by everyone involved with the 100th anniversary events. It's always been clear to me that Jack should be an annual thing and I hope the positive reception to this game (etc) helps make that happen.

Around 2016, I wrote several stories on my site about the need for a jersey patch or helmet sticker, Jack Trice scholarship, Trice throwbacks every 4/5 years, and a logo that is a nod to Jack's five stripe jersey. Check.

Now that 2023 is over with, how can we move forward? Here are some new ideas:

Football Program:

1.) Award Jack's jersey number 37 to a special player every year. Make it a tiny event.

2.) Perhaps create a mini Trice "museum" room in the football building that has a 1923 jersey replica, Curtis Hotel desk (I have pictures), etc.

Annual Trice Legacy Game:

3.) Every five years (105th, 110th, etc.) roll out new Trice-inspired throwback uniforms, so most players experience it once.

4.) In between those years, do a simple Trice game throwback helmet decal with normal uniforms. Rotate the design.

5.) End zones should say AMES or ISC or similar.

6.) Have a national figure appear at the game, speak to players, fans, etc. Ex: Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a great activist. (Kinda like GameDay guest picker, but meaningful.)

Merchandise:

7.) Pull back on items with Trice logo. Make it special. Permanent donation xx% of gross revenue to charity (can rotate which one yearly).

8.) Let players create an unique Trice design for the season - use on team gear. Sell it as a limited edition collection.

Marketing:

9.) I might have missed it, but did the Big 12 care about this event? Twist their arms to really hype it up every year going forward.

10.) Have a student competition every year for a Trice project. Maybe it's a short documentary, a new poster design, an agriculture project in a poor area, etc.

What are your own ideas?
I like #1-4.