How would athletics do in the Big East?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I have been thinking about this all morning since seeing the thread ISU to the Big East. How would ISU football and basketball do? I would say football would be solid, 3rd to 4th consistantly, but basketball, wow what a conference. I know one thing, I have been hearing from Hawk fans how the Big 12 disolving would help Iowa in in-state recruiting in basketball, ummmm not if ISU is in the Big East, Hoiberg could pick and chose players in the state. I say 6-9 consistantly out of 20 teams (as Hoiberg builds the program again) and then who knows?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I think this post is an example of how good the Big East would be for ISU. In reality, the Big East was not significantly better, if at all, than the Big 12 last year. The media has convinced you otherwise.

UCHusky

Jun 11, 2010
I think in basketball it will be very tough for ISU to get to the top. BE is just brutal even for teams like UCONN, Louisville, GTOWN, CUSE etc. WVU is on the rise too with Huggins. Pitt is tough with Dixon.

Women's basketball is equally good. You got multiple ranked teams and then there is UCONN.

Football it is very balanced. BE has done very well out of conference against other BCS conferences. In fact, BE finished 2nd in OOC games against other BCS conferences last year after SEC. Most people don't know this, but BE football finished ranked 2nd or 3rd as an overall conference last year in all the computer polls. 6 different BE teams have finished at top or tied for the top last 5 years. There is no cakewalk team in the BE. They don't have a Texas type of team, but they got a ton of good teams. I think teams like Kansas, Mizzou, KSU and ISU will all get a chance to compete each year. It will be a war. There are plenty of good football talent in the BE so it should be interesting to see how you guys do.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
UCHusky, thank you for the input.

Adding parts of the RPI #1 basketball conference (the Big 12) to the RPI #3 conference (the Big East) would increase the difficulty for all.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
UCHusky, you pretty much said what i was going to. I think a balanced FB conference would be great to be in. There's not really many easy teams, but then again, it could give more opportunity if you're having a good year- you wont run into a texas\ou-like team either.

UCHusky

Jun 11, 2010
UCHusky, thank you for the input.

Adding parts of the RPI #1 basketball conference (the Big 12) to the RPI #3 conference (the Big East) would increase the difficulty for all.

Honestly last year was a down year in the BE for basketball. My own school was expected to be much better but they did not deliver. We usually finish near the top of BE but not last year. We did beat Texas though.

UCHusky

Jun 11, 2010
UCHusky, you pretty much said what i was going to. I think a balanced FB conference would be great to be in. There's not really many easy teams, but then again, it could give more opportunity if you're having a good year- you wont run into a texas\ou-like team either.

Yep. BE does not have a dominate team like Texas. Then again, what fun is it sending the same team to the BCS bowl every year? Remember the year when OU played WVU in the Fiesta Bowl? No one gave WVU a chance but Pat White and the Mountaineers rolled the Sooners at the Fiesta Bowl. Ask Baylor how good is UCONN football. We beat them 2 years in the row including last year where we dominated them in WACO. With all the B12 teams joining us, the football conference just got much stronger. All the B12 teams will get a chance to compete. Also, you will get a chance to recruit FLA.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Honestly last year was a down year in the BE for basketball. My own school was expected to be much better but they did not deliver. We usually finish near the top of BE but not last year. We did beat Texas though.

Sounds good.
The post season indicated it was a down year for both conferences.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Sounds good.
We were bad last year...and lost a close one to UT.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Sounds good.
We were bad last year...and lost a close one to UT.
Football could compete, it may take a bit for mens bball to hit the ground running in that conference, but i'd expect to be in the middle of the 20 team conference

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Yep. BE does not have a dominate team like Texas. Then again, what fun is it sending the same team to the BCS bowl every year? Remember the year when OU played WVU in the Fiesta Bowl? No one gave WVU a chance but Pat White and the Mountaineers rolled the Sooners at the Fiesta Bowl. Ask Baylor how good is UCONN football. We beat them 2 years in the row including last year where we dominated them in WACO. With all the B12 teams joining us, the football conference just got much stronger. All the B12 teams will get a chance to compete. Also, you will get a chance to recruit FLA.

Completely agree! Good thoughts out of you, Husky! It is nice to know there are other level headed people out there.