• Other - please list in the thread below

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've enjoyed watching most of the bowl games. As with every Saturday in the fall, some games are good. Some games are bad. I don't think there has been a higher percentage of duds over the last couple of weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Will they though if attendance drops off? The attendance at these lower tier bowl games is already bad. I don't see the whole it's just an exhibition narrative helping to improve that.

ISU attendance was certainly down compared to our last Liberty appearance. My hunch is if we are back there again in another 3 or 4 years our turnout would be even lower. I really don't even think an SEC opponent would prevent that.
Agree. CF would now have to promote it as ‘The Meaningless Liberty Exhibition Bowl’ which wouldn’t be good for ticket sales.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I don’t like the week zero thing. Makes even less sense because of the portal. The teams they’re matching up change drastically year to year.

If you’re going to move them… move them up. Get all the “inconsequential” ones done on Saturdays before finals week.
Oh, I say go crazy. Make this week 1. And it counts towards the number of win you need to qualify for a bowl the following year. Sure it will really mess up how teams schedule non-con games, but that already sucks for most schools any way.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Oh, I say go crazy. Make this week 1. And it counts towards the number of win you need to qualify for a bowl the following year. Sure it will really mess up how teams schedule non-con games, but that already sucks for most schools any way.
I don't like that at all. They aren't even the same teams after the players who get you there expire eligibility.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
For teams outside of the playoffs, let the bowls pay for draft order and then go from there. Northern sites could hold games but they have to be indoor.

Next bowls need to start on the second weekend of Dec and be done before Christmas. The transfer portal open Jan 1.

The playoff games start between Christmas and New Year's. Yeah, might suck for players looking to transfer on Jan 1 that are still on Playoff teams for those remaining after Jan 1 but you're on a playoff team so calm down.

Also early recruiting signing period is the Wednesday after the last game or after conference championship games (if those end up still being around).

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I like the idea of removing bowl tie-ins with conferences. A teams win/loss record tends to stay within a pretty narrow range, so fans end up traveling to same location. With move to a P4 and maybe eventually a P3, maybe that takes care of the issue naturally.

Have a feeling that playoff money will drive a wedge between Power & Group conferences. At some point Group conferences will create their own division with playoffs similar to FCS division. Who knows, maybe top tier FCS conferences will merge with Group Conferences. I have no doubt most MVFC, Big Sky schools could be competitive against most Group Conference teams.

At some point, if players are employees, it will be a natural to pay guys to play in bowl games. And even incent them to win. In the meantime, I would like to see the transfer portal window moved to start Jan 1 and run for 3 weeks. Players still have a second window in April/May. Heck, maybe that should be the only portal window. Encourage players to work through their in-season setbacks and finish the academic year.

Reactions: shadow

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Let's spitball a few more ideas...

I would keep the 12 team college football playoff out of the bowl system entirely, with first and second round games on campus the two weekends before Christmas and then both the semifinals in an NFL venue back to back on the first weekend of January with the championship game in the same location the next weekend. Media could bid on the on-campus games or the 3 neutral site games, but not be rewarded both. Spread that stuff around a little.

Immediately after the playoff announcements, institute a bowl game draft outside of conference tie-ins, with selection order determined by payout. Half of the payout for these games would be equally distributed to the players, with 2/3 going to the winning players and 1/3 to the other team players. (Our game this year would have earned winning teams' players about $15K each. A sugar bowl wining team would earn $56K.) In order to be eligible, you need to be on scholarship or have assigned walk-on status by your coaching staff. This will ultimately eliminate all games that exist only to fill an ESPN TV slot. These games would be played around the playoff games between December 19 and January 1.

Transfer portal can open December 1, but will close December 15, or the last day of fall semester, whichever is later. Rip the band-aid off and get it over with, rather than make it a weeks long thing. All players who elect to transfer will be disqualified from playing in any bowl games or receiving game participation checks. Once you enter the portal, you are no longer considered part of your team.

Player opt outs from bowl games are a personal business decision and should be allowed but players who declare will not be considered eligible for game bonus, since they have also left the team. If the coaches choose not to use the player, that is between them. I don't see a way around that.

The Monday before Christmas would be the first signing day for the following season out of high school. Still allows early enrollees to get onto campus for spring semester, and coaches to make decisions knowing the final status of the roster after the portal closes. This signing window would still close on the first day of class.

This compresses the player schedule a bunch, but I honestly believes it's in the interest of all parties to go that way, even though it is a busy time for coaching staffs.

Reactions: shadow

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
Some crazy billionaire offers the top two teams $10 million more than a normal championship payout, each, to play in his personal "Billionaire Bowl" instead of the traditional championship game.

No commercials. No corporate sponsorships. $10 PPV.

Go.

• Creative
Reactions: Cycsk

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Another reason playoffs should not tie into the bowl system: Getting a trophy for winning a semifinal game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron