Hubalek

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Not the greatest competition but he's still making nice progress with another good outing last night. 12 points-8 boards-2 assists and no turnovers in just 16 minutes. He's had some great conference games and looks like he's getting back to form as this conference season gets here.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
It seems that maybe he's going to get it going here soon. Maybe his foot is finally feeling normal.

I try not to rag on guys on our team, but does it bother anyone else that Jiri appears to whine too much? I am all for emotion, and maybe I'm misinterpreting his facial expressions, but he just needs to shut up and move on after a bad call. Plus, when he mugged a guy last night while trying to front him, he whined about the call when he obviously had the guy wrapped up. I think these calls and his reaction to them can affect his game negatively.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Will copy my post about Jiri from another thread here...

I would like to see him get back to last year's 2nd half season form. Maybe he needs to get smacked in the mouth again - literally. No, I'm not talking about someone flat out hitting him. He just seems to wake up when someone beats on him a bit.

The guy has the abilities to be physical. IMO, he just plays physical when he wants to.

I saw some great post moves and solid rebounding out of him the 2nd half of last season - the NDSU and Mizzou games being the first - even with that important air-balled free-throw against Mizzu.

In the last two games though, Jiri has scored a total of 25 points (15 and 12), 14 rebounds (6 and 8) and is shooting just over 56%. All this in just 39 combined minutes (23 and 16).

He's also 2 for 2 from 3-point land in those games.
confused.gif

So, while he has started slow this season, that's been his shtick his entire career it seems and it looks like he's starting to wake up, around the same time he did last year.

I'd love to see another double-double from him against NDSU in few weeks just like he had against them last season.

Jiri, where are the great post moves and the little hook you use so well?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
but does it bother anyone else that Jiri appears to whine too much? I am all for emotion, and maybe I'm misinterpreting his facial expressions, but he just needs to shut up and move on after a bad call. Plus, when he mugged a guy last night while trying to front him, he whined about the call when he obviously had the guy wrapped up. I think these calls and his reaction to them can affect his game negatively.

I agree completely, and made a post in the game thread about this last night. He's going to get a "whiner" rep with the officials, and they are going to start tuning him out, even when he does have a legitimate gripe.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Buthune-Cookman's biggest guy was 6'6 so I'm not going to praise Juri up and down yet. I'd still like him to get a bit more physical...

Speaking of physical or lack there of does anyone else think that Alex Thompson doesnt bang more inside b/c he is a terrible free-throw shooter and he knows it? Man I'd put money against him anytime on the line...he really looks uncomfortable at the stripe.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not to take away from Jiri but at least half those points were scored after the game was already out of reach. Not that it doesn't help him but I wish he'd come out and just go right at it from the start. Seems like sometimes he gets a quick foul which gets to him then he plays too tentative and upset then when he misses the next shot seems to let it get to him too much and he makes another dumb foul and has to go to the bench.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
It seems that maybe he's going to get it going here soon. Maybe his foot is finally feeling normal.

I try not to rag on guys on our team, but does it bother anyone else that Jiri appears to whine too much? I am all for emotion, and maybe I'm misinterpreting his facial expressions, but he just needs to shut up and move on after a bad call. Plus, when he mugged a guy last night while trying to front him, he whined about the call when he obviously had the guy wrapped up. I think these calls and his reaction to them can affect his game negatively.

Jiri wants to be like Tim Duncan!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Jiri wants to be like Tim Duncan!

I think you mean Rasheed Wallace

On a similiar note, I bet Blalock loved getting hit in the face with Wallace's sweaty towel after Rasheed's big hissy fit going back to the locker room :biglaugh:

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Not to take away from Jiri but at least half those points were scored after the game was already out of reach. Not that it doesn't help him but I wish he'd come out and just go right at it from the start. Seems like sometimes he gets a quick foul which gets to him then he plays too tentative and upset then when he misses the next shot seems to let it get to him too much and he makes another dumb foul and has to go to the bench.

I agree. Jiri is a senior and needs to step it up on the court. He needs to come out each game and take it to the other team right off the bat (especially when their tallest guy is 6-6). He only had 4 points at half, and he should have had at least 15!

As for the complaining...It's annoying. I told him about it, but I think it's just part of his personality. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks! I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Haluska does it ALL the time too! After every fouled called agaisnt him, he complains...very annoying to watch!

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
When i watch Hubalek, it seems like he shys away from most contact. That is one problem with our bigs so far this year. None of them seem to be very physical down low when they get the ball, but let's hope that changes by the time conference play rolls around

jose

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Kind of along the same lines of what cardinal&gold11 said, but our posts need to quit settling for shooting over the top of their defenders, they need to either be making a post move to get around their defender or else getting better post position to have an angle at the hoop. I can't hardly believe some of Jiri's moves would work in practice against a decent shot blocker such as Craig, let alone when conference comes along. But he did have a strong finish to last year so lets hope he can turn up the intensity again come conference play

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Must just be me, but I thought Jiri looked like crap again last night. He missed a ton of easy shots, fouled too much, and all his stats were garbage stats when the game wasn't on the line. He needs the light bulb to come back on quickly.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Must just be me, but I thought Jiri looked like crap again last night. He missed a ton of easy shots, fouled too much, and all his stats were garbage stats when the game wasn't on the line. He needs the light bulb to come back on quickly.

Nope not just you, I thought the same exact thing. Coach was starring him down all night.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Hubalek isn't back to the level he played during most of the conference season, but 8 rebounds in 16 minutes led the team and tied Clark who played 10 more minutes. Doesn't sound soft to me. His last two games have been very solid for the limited minutes, especially considering he's playing catch up, and what does it take to impress some of you guys?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron