Huggins, after the game.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Shortly after the game, head coach Bob Huggins sat courtside with Tony Caridi and Jay Jacobs for a postgame radio interview on the Mountaineer Sports Network.

Below are a few quotes from the head coach.

"We didn't do what I asked them to do twice. I told them not to run the corner and get trapped. They never did anything I've asked them to do. I've tried to cover and cover and cover for guys. I'm tired of...My guys before were afraid of not doing what I asked them to do because they knew they would never play again."
Iowa State Cyclones men's basketball head coach T.J. Otzelberger greets West Virginia Mountaineers head coach Bob Huggins before the game at Hilton Coliseum Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022, in Ames, Iowa. "I don't know what to say. The truth of the matter is, you let your team down by not doing of the right thing. You let the thousands of Mountaineer fans down that wanted to see us win."

GameSummaryBB-2-23-22

• Informative
Reactions: CycoCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In the first in bounds play that led to a trap and TO, you could see the WVU player who called the TO visibly upset about something (both hands on head, looking shocked) and this must be what he was upset about. Couldn’t believe they let us trap them on the corner off an inbounds

That makes sense now.

I had the gamed muted and thought they had called an offensive foul or something.

Iirc that was their last time out.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Huggy said the Cyclones went at the same player every time because "some guys don't play defense" and "they watch tape".

Which one of his players is he talking about?
Looked to me like Brockington immediately went to work when McNeil was on him. This happened several possessions late in the second half. I thought to myself, why do they have McNeil on Brockington? As in, I was glad they are trying to guard Brockington with McNeil.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Here are additional post game comments from Huggins that I posted in another thread last night:

"We didn't do what I asked them to do twice. I told them not to run the corner and get trapped. They never did anything I've asked them to do. I've tried to cover and cover and cover for guys. I'm tired of...My guys before were afraid of not doing what I asked them to do because they knew they would never play again."

"When you compete that hard, you ought to win. When you call a timeout to tell them what to do, you ought to win."

"I don't know what to say. The truth of the matter is, you let your team down by not doing of the right thing. You let the thousands of Mountaineer fans down that wanted to see us win."

"We come out of the huddle with do you know what you're doing? Do you know where you're supposed to be? It's frustrating."

"We don't do what we're asked to do. We have guys who have their own agendas."

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I know his quotes are probably going to make some people upset, but I would much rather read/hear that versus the canned coach-speak. The "letting down the thousands of Mountaineer fans" may have been a bit over the top, but, as a fan, I prefer that to wondering if your coach cares about the fact that you just lost the game.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I know his quotes are probably going to make some people upset, but I would much rather read/hear that versus the canned coach-speak. The "letting down the thousands of Mountaineer fans" may have been a bit over the top, but, as a fan, I prefer that to wondering if your coach cares about the fact that you just lost the game.
How about for once, Huggins give the opposing team a little credit. If he has ever done so, I've haven't seen it. I can't wait for him to leave coaching; can't stand his version of "basketball"

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
i've got no problem with him being honest...if his job is to coach and their job is to play, is he wrong? you don't like his demeanor? I agree, ISU deserves credit, but some of the ragging on Huggins because he's blunt and tough are strange to me.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This didn’t seem any different from any year when we beat West Virginia

Reactions: isutrevman

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
i've got no problem with him being honest...if his job is to coach and their job is to play, is he wrong? you don't like his demeanor? I agree, ISU deserves credit, but some of the ragging on Huggins because he's blunt and tough are strange to me.
Some of that ragging is a byproduct of the fact that the version of basketball he coaches is borderline unwatchable. Therefore, his harsh comments become an avenue to criticize him when really we're all tired of watching him work the refs and coach plays rooted in gamesmanship instead of basketball plays

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Some of that ragging is a byproduct of the fact that the version of basketball he coaches is borderline unwatchable. Therefore, his harsh comments become an avenue to criticize him when really we're all tired of watching him work the refs and coach plays rooted in gamesmanship instead of basketball plays
fatter version of Fran, is what you're saying? :mccaffery:

• Haha
Reactions: khardbored

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
How about for once, Huggins give the opposing team a little credit. If he has ever done so, I've haven't seen it. I can't wait for him to leave coaching; can't stand his version of "basketball"

I didn't record the game but my wife said at the beginning of the game they interviewed him and he has some really good things to say about TJ?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've heard him give credit to other teams before, but he's definitely the kind of coach that's going to focus on what his team could have done differently, especially knowing that they beaten us before and had us on the ropes for awhile.

Going back to my coach-speak comment, I much prefer it when coaches give credit to opposing players or specific circumstances versus the "they just wanted it more" stuff. Some coaches are really good at it, but most of them are like the majority of the population would be right after a loss. I'm pissed, let me answer some questions so I can go.

While I don't care for his style of "they can't call every foul" I think we can all appreciate the passion with how they play defense. We'd all be having a rough year if we didn't place some increased value in watching team defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron