Hunter Dekkers' Season

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You follow the NIL deals and this stuff way more than me. Is the money he is being offered by Auburn similar to what they are offering other QB's, is he their top target, and do SEC schools have the money to pay backups what schools like ISU and K-State could pay starters? It's gonna be interesting to see how the conflict between money and playing time shakes out. There are gonna be some good players buried on depth charts just collecting money.
Great question. The disparity is just so great that what they can spend on a project or yet fully developed player with big possible upside dwarfs what we can spend on our most critical starters.

Example would be Tampa. He’s already getting looks that would probably offer him 150k to 300k for a single season of eligibility. We would probably max out on him at 20k to 25k. If it was a QB or RB, we could possibly stretch up to 50k but then not have anything for 2-3 other big pieces.

The collective will help but it’s probably going to max out at under 100k per year. Maybe it gets higher, but it’s got a long ways to go still - much will depend on some of its new financial offering program and incentives. Outside of the collective, we may pull together roughly 200k to 400k (on a really good year).

When you see other schools spending that on 1 or 2 players and it’s our total budget for all sports, that’s where it really comes into focus. I’d say the top 6-7 programs in the Big 12 will have no less than 3mil per year and on up to 5-8mil at places like OSU, Baylor, etc.

And unfortunately, I don’t see that decreasing. Big donors have always given big dollars with very little ROI. Now they’ll be able to target a specific set of players and actually feel like they get a return.

I could also see a big focus on transfers where they can use the ISUs to develop players and then snatch them for years 3-4.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Great question. The disparity is just so great that what they can spend on a project or yet fully developed player with big possible upside dwarfs what we can spend on our most critical starters.

Example would be Tampa. He’s already getting looks that would probably offer him 150k to 300k for a single season of eligibility. We would probably max out on him at 20k to 25k. If it was a QB or RB, we could possibly stretch up to 50k but then not have anything for 2-3 other big pieces.

The collective will help but it’s probably going to max out at under 100k per year. Maybe it gets higher, but it’s got a long ways to go still - much will depend on some of its new financial offering program and incentives. Outside of the collective, we may pull together roughly 200k to 400k (on a really good year).

When you see other schools spending that on 1 or 2 players and it’s our total budget for all sports, that’s where it really comes into focus. I’d say the top 6-7 programs in the Big 12 will have no less than 3mil per year and on up to 5-8mil at places like OSU, Baylor, etc.

And unfortunately, I don’t see that decreasing. Big donors have always given big dollars with very little ROI. Now they’ll be able to target a specific set of players and actually feel like they get a return.

I could also see a big focus on transfers where they can use the ISUs to develop players and then snatch them for years 3-4.
That's exactly why I care less and less about college football every year. If you aren't in the Big 10 or SEC you are going to be relegated essentially.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
That's exactly why I care less and less about college football every year. If you aren't in the Big 10 or SEC you are going to be relegated essentially.

When talking media income a common take is “well yeah we only get $50M and they will get almost $100M, but you can only update your locker rooms every so often and there’s a limit to how cool you can make the player lounge”

Makes me laugh every time. When you have that kind of media money you don’t need as many fan donation dollars. And those fan donation dollars get diverted to NIL.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
When talking media income a common take is “well yeah we only get $50M and they will get almost $100M, but you can only update your locker rooms every so often and there’s a limit to how cool you can make the player lounge”

Makes me laugh every time. When you have that kind of media money you don’t need as many fan donation dollars. And those fan donation dollars get diverted to NIL.
I think I'd be turned off by all this stuff even if ISU was in the SEC. I really don't get why anyone would root for 2 mega conferences. I'm old school when it comes to CFB. I don't even like the playoff.

Reactions: SpringCreekCY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm obviously disappointed in how this year has gone, but there is still the chance to make great strides to next year. Hunter has thrown 10 INT's this year, but honestly I'd be curious to go back and look at all of them. Several of them were just a miscommunication between QB and receiver and we don't know the context. Maybe he made the right play and trusted his receiver and they ran the wrong route or something.

Ultimately he's probably going to end up around 66% completion percentage with 20+ TD's and 3,000+ yards while starting every game. That is a very good season for an ISU QB historically, let alone a first year starter.

Reactions: OscarBerkshire

Jriddge28

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 19, 2020
Dekkers has tons of raw talent but I can’t tell if he’s going to grow out of some mistakes or if that’s just who he is. I didn’t realize how many open receivers he’s missing until I went to the K State game live. Hopefully the game keeps slowing down.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
You follow the NIL deals and this stuff way more than me. Is the money he is being offered by Auburn similar to what they are offering other QB's, is he their top target, and do SEC schools have the money to pay backups what schools like ISU and K-State could pay starters? It's gonna be interesting to see how the conflict between money and playing time shakes out. There are gonna be some good players buried on depth charts just collecting money.
Anddd......

The only thing that matters is money, right?

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Buying players is one thing but being able to just pack up and leave is another.

Transfers sitting a year seems so quaint.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Dekkers should do well in those stats given the massive volume he gets in games. We don't have anything resembling a run game, so we resort to passing a ton more.

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
Run game this year has been so bad, I think it’s put a lot of pressure on dekkers. But he still lacks the touch in short yardage situations (Purdy didn’t have that issue because him throwing his hardest was only 30 yards anyway). Which is why we see the most success in intermediate and long range throws, as the short range throws typically require excellent placement to allow for some running after the catch

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I still think Iowa State has something to sell those kids, but being 3rd string at Alabama and making $100,000/yr to do it isn’t a bad gig for an 18-22 year old.
Unless you have aspirations to play in the NFL then playing time is pretty important.

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018

If Tampa is not being offered more than $300K to go elsewhere I like our chances to keep him. With just 1 year before draft eligibility positioning himself to make the NFL will likely be his primary concern. The risk of devaluing his draft stock may not be worth $300K.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I became a bit disenfranchised with Dekkers during the 5 game skid. Though I didn't hold him solely accountable for the struggles of the offense, I did think he was making things a bit harder on himself than he had to. CW and others in the media even acknowledge that he's been seeing ghosts out there. I've noticed the missing of open receivers, not always making the right reads or quickly enough. I was ready to see a different QB in the 4th quarter of the OU game, simply to see if we could get a spark, not to necessarily supplant Dekkers. But similar to how he came in during the 2nd half of the OU game last year when Brock was struggling to get anything going.

As it stands, he was good and even great at times this past weekend. It was against perhaps the worst defense in the conference, so I don't necessarily want to go showering him with praise. But hopefully it is going to give him the confidence he needs to go get a couple more wins this season. I stand behind him, need to remember he is still getting the feel of Big 12 football. Hoping the game continues to slow down for him.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If Tampa is not being offered more than $300K to go elsewhere I like our chances to keep him. With just 1 year before draft eligibility positioning himself to make the NFL will likely be his primary concern. The risk of devaluing his draft stock may not be worth $300K.
I keep seeing this, about draft eligibility for Tampa. Is he not a true junior? You only need to be in college 3 years to enter the NFL draft, unless something has changed?

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
If the mental side (making reads, knowing when to run, looking off receivers, etc) catches up to the physical side, Hunter will be one of the best QB's ISU has ever had.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
That would be great, but then you’ll never see Kohl stick around. He’s already had six figure NIL offers to decommit (don’t currently see him doing so) and he’s too good to sit the bench more than a year.

It will work out fine. Hunter will throw for 4000 yards and 30 td's next year and get drafted in the top 4 rounds. Kohl can back up or redshirt next year and then start 3 or 4 years. Or get straight up beat out by Becht and transfer.

• Haha
Reactions: Lineup

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron