Hunter Dekkers' Season

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It will work out fine. Hunter will throw for 4000 yards and 30 td's next year and get drafted in the top 4 rounds. Kohl can back up or redshirt next year and then start 3 or 4 years. Or get straight up beat out by Becht and transfer.
Hope you're right about the bolded, but I definitely do not see that happening. Any of it, really. Becht will quite probably never play QB at Iowa State.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have found that most players committed to Campbell and Iowa State are about more than money. Look at the numbers that took the extra Covid year. Players want to play for Campbell. Let Campbell do his job. Let the NIL collective do their job. Make sure that Cyclone Nation supports them. We should be okay. Let things play out. Trust Campbell.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The only aspect of Dekker's game that has fallen short of my expectations is his reluctance or inability to escape the pocket and make guys miss. Maybe that's because Purdy was so good at it.

I think he's been unlucky on some of his interceptions: balls tipped or ref mistake (OU game).

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Is there tampering in college sports??? Especially if a student athlete is already committed/on an active roster.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Is there tampering in college sports??? Especially if a student athlete is already committed/on an active roster.

It's the wild west and will continue to be with the transfer rules.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
I still think Iowa State has something to sell those kids, but being 3rd string at Alabama and making $100,000/yr to do it isn’t a bad gig for an 18-22 year old.
This is the part that doesn’t add up for me. If you say Alabama pays 3rd string guys $100k, thats like 50 guys making at least that much. You think Alabama is putting up $5M+. What if starters are more like $500k and QB $2M? Thats like $15M+ I doubt that’s anywhere near what’s happening. Is it?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This is the part that doesn’t add up for me. If you say Alabama pays 3rd string guys $100k, thats like 50 guys making at least that much. You think Alabama is putting up $5M+. What if starters are more like $500k and QB $2M? Thats like $15M+ I doubt that’s anywhere near what’s happening. Is it?

Why not? They have unlimited resources.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Why does everyone BLAME POOR HUNTERS DEKKER FOR OUR BAD SEASON?

I PUT THE BLAME ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH AND THIS OFFENSIVE LINE WHO HAS HAD MORE BREAK DOWNS THAN A 1957 FORD! BELIEVE ME I KNOW I OWNED ONE OF THOSE WRETCHED FORDS!!

Worst Ford ever made according to Lee Iacocca ...and Lee should know because he helped bring it to market!!

...and remember GO CYCLONES

Reactions: CoachTretired

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Great question. The disparity is just so great that what they can spend on a project or yet fully developed player with big possible upside dwarfs what we can spend on our most critical starters.

Example would be Tampa. He’s already getting looks that would probably offer him 150k to 300k for a single season of eligibility. We would probably max out on him at 20k to 25k. If it was a QB or RB, we could possibly stretch up to 50k but then not have anything for 2-3 other big pieces.

The collective will help but it’s probably going to max out at under 100k per year. Maybe it gets higher, but it’s got a long ways to go still - much will depend on some of its new financial offering program and incentives. Outside of the collective, we may pull together roughly 200k to 400k (on a really good year).

When you see other schools spending that on 1 or 2 players and it’s our total budget for all sports, that’s where it really comes into focus. I’d say the top 6-7 programs in the Big 12 will have no less than 3mil per year and on up to 5-8mil at places like OSU, Baylor, etc.

And unfortunately, I don’t see that decreasing. Big donors have always given big dollars with very little ROI. Now they’ll be able to target a specific set of players and actually feel like they get a return.

I could also see a big focus on transfers where they can use the ISUs to develop players and then snatch them for years 3-4.
YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT WE ARE GOING TO BECOME ... A FEEDER PROGRAM...OKAY I GOT IT!

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Great question. The disparity is just so great that what they can spend on a project or yet fully developed player with big possible upside dwarfs what we can spend on our most critical starters.

Example would be Tampa. He’s already getting looks that would probably offer him 150k to 300k for a single season of eligibility. We would probably max out on him at 20k to 25k. If it was a QB or RB, we could possibly stretch up to 50k but then not have anything for 2-3 other big pieces.

The collective will help but it’s probably going to max out at under 100k per year. Maybe it gets higher, but it’s got a long ways to go still - much will depend on some of its new financial offering program and incentives. Outside of the collective, we may pull together roughly 200k to 400k (on a really good year).

When you see other schools spending that on 1 or 2 players and it’s our total budget for all sports, that’s where it really comes into focus. I’d say the top 6-7 programs in the Big 12 will have no less than 3mil per year and on up to 5-8mil at places like OSU, Baylor, etc.

And unfortunately, I don’t see that decreasing. Big donors have always given big dollars with very little ROI. Now they’ll be able to target a specific set of players and actually feel like they get a return.

I could also see a big focus on transfers where they can use the ISUs to develop players and then snatch them for years 3-4.

I really appreciate this breakdown with specific examples. My initial reaction is complete hopelessness. Even if we scrape together our pennies and get up to the conference average, the competition has a nearly bottomless well of resources by comparison and will just keep raising the bar.