Husker-Hawk Analytics (FEI)

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
I like the thesis. But if you have a model where negative numbers are calculated for a football game then you have a stupid model. Just because… and I’m just saying….there are no negative scores in football.

Here’s rooting for a 0-0 game going into the fourth OT

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I like the thesis. But if you have a model where negative numbers are calculated for a football game then you have a stupid model. Just because… and I’m just saying….there are no negative scores in football.

With BF as offensive coordinator, anything is possible.

Reactions: Kinch

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

He did say that his models don't usually work well for Iowa, but this year it's been pretty good predicting their outcomes.

But yes, clearly two top defenses playing against two bottom offenses is so far of an outlier that occasionally the model will go off the rails. It's almost literally 99th percentile defense versus 1st percentile offense no matter who has the ball so it's like a literal 1-in-a-million match up. It's basically saying both teams are more likely to score by not playing offense. But defensive scoring is rare so it spits out a negative score prediction. Punting is winning.

I'd rather see a goofy but explainable result than adding an arbitrary fudge factor.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Side-bar, How mad is the big ten office. OSU and Mich play as 2 and 3. If Washington and FSU win, whoever loses between OSU and Mich has to drop to no less than 5 and out of the playoffs. You can't have 4 undefeated P5 teams in 5 different conferences and have a one loss team making the playoffs in front of them. Then if Texas does win out, even if one of the other undefeateds lose, you gotta go with the one loss P5 champ, right?

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Unfortunately I think Iowa is going to bury Nebby. Iowa’s offense is bad but Nebraska’s is a special kind of bad. Hawks must be happy to be King Sh!t sitting on top of Turd Mountain.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Side-bar, How mad is the big ten office. OSU and Mich play as 2 and 3. If Washington and FSU win, whoever loses between OSU and Mich has to drop to no less than 5 and out of the playoffs. You can't have 4 undefeated P5 teams in 5 different conferences and have a one loss team making the playoffs in front of them. Then if Texas does win out, even if one of the other undefeateds lose, you gotta go with the one loss P5 champ, right?

It would be hilarious if Iowa pulls off a miracle and knocks tOSU or UM out.

Does the comittee switch it to 8 teams in a week's time?

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Unfortunately I think Iowa is going to bury Nebby. Iowa’s offense is bad but Nebraska’s is a special kind of bad. Hawks must be happy to be King Sh!t sitting on top of Turd Mountain.

Bury?

It'll be a one score game that comes down to one or two plays.

Rhule will get Nebraska to at least have a chance.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Bury?

It'll be a one score game that comes down to one or two plays.

Rhule will get Nebraska to at least have a chance.
Yep, one score game that could go either way I feel. Iowa isn't getting the turnovers this year that they usually feast on to put games away. Actually Iowa is -3 in turnover margin on the year, which is pretty remarkable considering their offense and overall record.

Reactions: 1776

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The over/under on draft kings yesterday was 26.5, I took the under.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021

The model isn’t stupid. The two teams are. It’s like coming home 10 times in a row with a treat in your hand for your dog, but on the 11th time, fake like the treat is in your hand. Watch your dog’s look. The dog’s thesis isn’t stupid.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Why would that be horrific?

What a funny way for the B1G to go out as it is; the west finally wins it with a a slmewhat decent team against one of three good teams in the conference.

Sure, Iowa fans would be unbearable but they will be regardless; if they get blown out they'll still claim victory.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
It would be hilarious if Iowa pulls off a miracle and knocks tOSU or UM out.

Does the comittee switch it to 8 teams in a week's time?
It's obvious to hok fans that Iowa should be in the CFP if that is the case...it would be a travesty to leave them out. After all, the refs screwed them in the Minnesota came. :eek:o_O;) Oh yeah, BF should be rehired too.