Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
A couple years ago, I started getting texts from HYVEE saying my prescriptions were filled. Never had a prescription there. Called store. They couldn’t do anything. Called someone else. They couldn’t do anything. It went on for about a year. Then stopped. Someone’s got a ton of prescriptions laying around the store.

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Seconded. I always preferred Hy-Vee because of the grocery selection. Did I need a choice of 17 different brands/sizes of tater tots? Not at all. But when they get rid of 15 of them and the only choices were the “expensive” ones, it really removed any competitive advantage they had over Walmart or Fareway.

Same. And that worked when prices were generally in line or just slightly higher than other options. Now…Hy-Vee wants 20%+ premiums on most of their stuff, sometimes more. Now we are primarily Target grocery shoppers with some Aldi and Fareway mixed in.

Falling into the Dahl’s and other defunct grocery chain models. Not there yet but certainly going down that path.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How big of a problem with theft do they have with the downtown des moines hyvee? I heard they are going to start closing a 6pm.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
How big of a problem with theft do they have with the downtown des moines hyvee? I heard they are going to start closing a 6pm.

That seems like a dumb move in a downtown area. You're catering to those who live downtown, who are going to have later average hours than those living in the suburbs. Closing at 6 barely gives people a chance to get off work and go to the store. Hell, as-is closing the store at 9 (and most of the departments by 7-8) seems to miss the mark as well. Its never seemed like hyvee really understood what it was doing opening a store in a downtown area.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That seems like a dumb move in a downtown area. You're catering to those who live downtown, who are going to have later average hours than those living in the suburbs. Closing at 6 barely gives people a chance to get off work and go to the store. Hell, as-is closing the store at 9 (and most of the departments by 7-8) seems to miss the mark as well. Its never seemed like hyvee really understood what it was doing opening a store in a downtown area.
Kim’s Convenience FTW.

*not really in DSM but Toronto.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Seriously, they can't make anything stick. I get why they want it to work, the non-food stuff has a LOT higher gross but some of this is just common sense. Grimes has only been open for a few years and they've already shut down the nail salon, Joe Fresh, DSW, and they were selling fitness equipment.

What could they do with these spots that would work? What have other chains started?

They don't need more groceries. One of the few reasons my wife shops at Hy-Vee over other places is that they carry pretty much everything

I'm really struggling trying to think of anything good. Maybe follow the lead of someone like Public or HEB and stick to what got you here.
The consumer isn't screaming for a mega plex grocery store but HyVee just keeps stamping them out. Their business decisions are moronic.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Might be a staffing thing too?

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Seriously, they can't make anything stick. I get why they want it to work, the non-food stuff has a LOT higher gross but some of this is just common sense. Grimes has only been open for a few years and they've already shut down the nail salon, Joe Fresh, DSW, and they were selling fitness equipment.

What could they do with these spots that would work? What have other chains started?

They don't need more groceries. One of the few reasons my wife shops at Hy-Vee over other places is that they carry pretty much everything

I'm really struggling trying to think of anything good. Maybe follow the lead of someone like Public or HEB and stick to what got you here.
The nail shop was a leased space not run by Hy-Vee.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
HyVee wants to so badly be Target or Walmart that they are forgetting that their whole brand is known as grocery. That's it.
The problem is Target is way cheaper and has things other than Groceries so it is one stop shop and I save money. Target lacks a bit in the meat department but just go load up on meats somewhere else

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ISU22CY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The problem is Target is way cheaper and has things other than Groceries so it is one stop shop and I save money. Target lacks a bit in the meat department but just go loaf up on meats somewhere else

And does the online thing way better.

They track what is in stock better, so its a lot less common for something you order to be missing. Substitution selections are better as well.

Anything you order at Target is generally ready for pickup in under 2 hours. Hyvee rarely has a time slot available within 2 hours and you have to pay for it anyway for anything under 4.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Inducing an athsma attack at the pharmacy. That's some guerrilla marketing right there.
Yep, it's where we go for need-to-have-now prescriptions, and I try to hold my breath as I walk past the smells to get to the counter. It's really a duh design.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010

They track what is in stock better, so its a lot less common for something you order to be missing. Substitution selections are better as well.

Anything you order at Target is generally ready for pickup in under 2 hours. Hyvee rarely has a time slot available within 2 hours and you have to pay for it anyway for anything under 4.
Target isn't always cheaper, but the fact that I can order just a couple of things without an additional surcharge means that I am much more likely to place an order. Pair that with the fact that the Circle app gives me specific discount based on past purchases has meant that I'm shopping there much more. That being said, there are specific products that Target doesn't carry that we buy, that Hy-Vee does (why did you get rid of the original flavor Nut Thins?!?), but Hy-Vee charges such a ridiculous amount per box we invariably end up buying it from Fareway when on sale, or from Walmart when we are there for other reasons, like getting our car's oil changed.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

This is true out here as well, comparing Target to Fred Meyer and Safeway. I don’t know what Target is doing, but they’ve got that down.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU22CY

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

You mean Target, the store that charges you for shopping in person?

At Christmas, I bought a toy for my great nephew; it was $7.49 if I ordered it online and picked it up, but buying it in the store was $14.99. They charge you more to go to the store, walk to the shelf and pick it up - what a scam. Throw in the fact, if I go to the store and go in, I'm probably going to buy something else. My wife asked the manager about this, and she commented that it was a nightmare for them.

1707250689504.png 1707250848719.png

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

At Christmas, I bought a toy for my great nephew; it was $7.49 if I ordered it online and picked it up, but buying it in the store was $14.99. They charge you more to go to the store, walk to the shelf and pick it up - what a scam. Throw in the fact, if I go to the store and go in, I'm probably going to buy something else. My wife asked the manager about this, and she commented that it was a nightmare for them.

View attachment 123425 View attachment 123428
They always price match stuff for me.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

Target is not the only store that does this. But I've never experienced a store with this model that won't price match the in-store item to their own online price.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

I actually just had the opposite experience. An item was listed as $24.99 online with in store pickup, but it was only $20.99 on the shelf when I went to look at it and ultimately buy it.