Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
At some point, the Ana baptist economy will take over the grocery business in large parts of the midwest. In northern Missouri and southern Iowa they have invested probably close to a half of billion in infrastructure and distribution. It’s a few years left from really putting a dent into Hy-Vee and Walmart, but it’s coming.

What is Ana Baptist economy

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
FWIW, I go to Walmart and Fareway for groceries; only to HyVee if it's a significant add item like a meat special. On the other hand, I don't understand HyVee removing the service full scale delis with a sit down ordering cafe/bar (at least in the Ames stores). Looks to me this move was a looser! Any thoughts???

Reactions: carvers4math

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Stupid mini cupcakes. A cupcake is already a small portion of a cake. Why do we have to then go even smaller? If I want less cake, I'll cut a smaller piece of cake. Sorry if I'm off-topic. Mini-cupcakes need to come with a trigger warning around me.
To quote the great philosopher, Ron Swanson: "Not only does this thing exist, but you've deprived everyone of cake!"

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Interesting. What kind of money are we talking about here?
$300k+/ year 30 years ago. Certain stores were gold mines for CEO's but they were trained not to be show boats. I think they now struggle to make more than $100k. When I worked at Cedar Falls in high school, which was a really strong store, the bakery, deli, and meat manager all made a ton of money but worked HARD.

"One Hy-Vee store manager earned more money last year than the president of the company. "I have no ego problem with that, " says Ron Pearson, president and chief executive officer."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Marcelason78

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
$300k+/ year 30 years ago. Certain stores were gold mines for CEO's but they were trained not to be show boats.
have a family friend who worked 30 years and worked up to a store director before retiring in 2020

totally believe he made $300k+

but also never had a thanksgiving week, Christmas week or 4th of July holiday off his entire career. probably worked either a saturday or sunday 50 weeks a year. thats the trade off i guess.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The more expensive grocery stores around here have much better produce that target, etc.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
$300k+/ year 30 years ago. Certain stores were gold mines for CEO's but they were trained not to be show boats. I think they now struggle to make more than $100k. When I worked at Cedar Falls in high school, which was a really strong store, the bakery, deli, and meat manager all made a ton of money but worked HARD.

"One Hy-Vee store manager earned more money last year than the president of the company. "I have no ego problem with that, " says Ron Pearson, president and chief executive officer."

They used to be heavily tied to their stores performance which was why they always made you cut your teeth in a smaller store. If you could land one of the metro area store director jobs you were making BIG TIME money.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
have a family friend who worked 30 years and worked up to a store director before retiring in 2020

totally believe he made $300k+

but also never had a thanksgiving week, Christmas week or 4th of July holiday off his entire career. probably worked either a saturday or sunday 50 weeks a year. thats the trade off i guess.
My last year, I had one holiday off, which was Christmas. Every single weekend. One week 6-3, next week 10-7, and the next week 3-11. My God, I thought I was on top of the world when I got a 8-4 M/F. They used to dangle that store director commission over your head, while they paid every other position like crap. I have no clue how they keep top talent now, which may be part of the problem.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
They used to be heavily tied to their stores performance which was why they always made you cut your teeth in a smaller store. If you could land one of the metro area store director jobs you were making BIG TIME money.
The store in Indianola, before it got enlarged, was more profitable than any des moines store except the old urbandale store. The same year indianola announced the new store, I think he retired. If I remember correctly, those small stores were 100% commission and if they lost money, they paid hyvee. I remember the freezers going down on year and the director had to pay hyvee.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My last year, I had one holiday off, which was Christmas. Every single weekend. One week 6-3, next week 10-7, and the next week 3-11. My God, I thought I was on top of the world when I got a 8-4 M/F. They used to dangle that store director commission over your head, while they paid every other position like crap. I have no clue how they keep top talent now, which may be part of the problem.
Back in those days you would see store directors unloading trucks, throwing stock, facing shelves, and sacking groceries. Now you never even seen one in the store.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
We are fortunate to live in a metro area. Go out to some of the towns/stores that serve the rural areas and Hy-Vee has all but stopped caring about them. A lot of these stores are dated and very unkept. Just to show how little the corporate office cares about these locations, Denison, Carroll, and Harlan have one store director that oversees all three locations.
That's because they can't find qualified people who want to handle the stress/work of running a store. Many people want a job that is 5 days a week, sitting in an office working 8 to 5, no weekends or holidays.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
FWIW, I go to Walmart and Fareway for groceries; only to HyVee if it's a significant add item like a meat special. On the other hand, I don't understand HyVee removing the service full scale delis with a sit down ordering cafe/bar (at least in the Ames stores). Looks to me this move was a looser! Any thoughts???
Finding people to work the areas

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I bought a 18 pack of HyVee large eggs two weeks ago at the Johnston HyVee and they were like $5. You are referencing a "sale" price, Hyvee's everyday shelf price on eggs is stupid high compared to the competition. This is a very common theme for them now, especially on everyday type things.
I am comparing the price of a dozen eggs, not an 18-count. The shelf price at Hy-Vee for eggs we buy is $2.69 per dozen. You said "Hy-Vee's sales are really good" I took advantage of sale price that was better than Aldi, or Target.

Johnston Hy-Vee has always been high priced, everyone who has ever worked in a DSM area Hy-Vee store could tell you that.

Last edited:

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I am comparing a dozen, grade A eggs prices from this past Saturday, at three different retail stores.
Yes I know. You might be surprised to learn 18 eggs are usually priced about 50% higher than a dozen at the same store. :D

The dozen-egg price at HyVee at the time I’m talking about was like $3.29 or something, and Target was $2.19 (just going from memory). My point that at certain times HyVee eggs can be considerably higher than Target or KwikStsr stands. And I didn’t even mention with my RedCard I get everything at Target for 5% under the shelf price.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think Hy-Vee has had a ton of screw ups over the last decade. With that said, there is a tendency for people to hate companies the bigger they get. There is also a tendency to always root for the guy in 2nd.

e.g. Like everyone else, I find Hy-Vee to be expensive, they make some dumb store decisions, their customer service has taken a hit, their delivery service has been a complete fail, etc. On the other hand, they do a lot of things right. As an overall package, they are hard to beat. Fareway meat department has better service but if you look at the total package (Meat, Seafood, Cheese Island, Deli, Bakery, Liquor, Frozen Foods, Grocery), they are hard to match in Iowa.

Then you have a place like Aldi's, which everyone seems to blow. Yes, they are dirt cheap. Basically everything else about the store sucks. Yes, some of their things are "not bad for the price". Produce sucks, meat sucks, no bakery, alcohol section sucks, etc. Yes, the few times I went, my bill was super low. A big part of this is because I couldn't find half the **** I needed.

With all of this said, I'm roughly the same distance from 2 Hy-Vee's, 2 Fareway's, Target, and Super Wal-Mart. If I'm buying beer, 86th st. Hy-Vee. If I'm buying just meat, Grimes Fareway. Normal grocery shop and don't need anything special, Wal-Mart. Big shop with a lot of needs, Grimes Hy-Vee. When Dahls was open, I would shop there for most things, strictly because of distance.
The biggest issue was they lost their way in regard to customer service. When Randy Edeker took over he took any amount of pride employees took. He tried to standardize everything and you lost the ability for employees to bring their own strengths to the job.

I’m still shopping there because it covers what I need but starting to consider other options. Now you get employees who are no better than anywhere else. Last week I bought some stuff that had manufacturers coupons and the cashier tried to scan all of them and take them instead of half because it was buy two get $1 off. When I was there they never would have accepted an employee like that. Now that seems standard if not good because she tried to actually apply the coupons.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yes I know. You might be surprised to learn 18 eggs are usually priced about 50% higher than a dozen at the same store. :D

The dozen-egg price at HyVee at the time I’m talking about was like $3.29 or something, and Target was $2.19 (just going from memory). My point that at certain times HyVee eggs can be considerably higher than Target or KwikStsr stands. And I didn’t even mention with my RedCard I get everything at Target for 5% under the shelf price.
I worked at Hy-Vee for 15 years and spent 11 in management, including senior leadership roles in stores. I understand retail pricing way to well even being out of it for many years.

Eggs, milk, bread, and other staples were items we used to loss leaders at times.

We're cheap, we buy That's Smart eggs, not Hy-Vee.

Reactions: dmclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron