Hypothetical Matchup Between Wesley Johnson and Marquis Gilstrap

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
That's the last time I start my own thread :eek:

I noticed that I got caught up in it too a bit, but I never asked which guy is better and who I'd rather have on my team. Just wanted to get people's thoughts on how they'd both react to and handle a matchup against each other. I personally think that if Syracuse played Iowa State tonight on a neutral court, Marquis would/could be just as much of a factor as Wes would/could be. I think Quez is a really good college basketball player right now.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I can appreciate all the support for MG, but come on.....Wesley is a better player, and head to head, I think he would do better than MG.

WJ is quicker and even more athletic than MG. MG is probably stronger, but that is about it. Stat-wise, they are about equal, but WJ is a much better shooter, percentage-wise. Also, he appears to be a much better defender. In 17 games, he has more than twice as many blocks as MG (33 to 16) and over 3 times as many steals (31 to 9).

It would be fun to watch, but I think WJ would be too quick and too athletic for MG, and I think he would get the ball away from him a few times.

Also, not that it makes a difference in a game situation, but WJ is a likely lottery pick this year. MG....hopefully at least a second round pick, or at least a free agent signing.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Gilstrap is a better NBA player. Mark my word. He has the strength to be able to get to the rim without being bumped of line. Wes doesn't have that. I thonk he would much rather be a finesse player which doesn't work that well unless you can shoot 50% from the three which he also can't do right now.
Have you ever heard of Kevin Durant?

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
Marquis would BEAT THE **** out of wesley. wj is a punk *** *****! Qwez would go right by him 1 on 1. Game to 11 by 2.

Qwez 11
Wj. 4

Wj D= my grandmas D

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Have you ever heard of Kevin Durant?

Yes, but he is what, 6-10, making a match up pretty difficult. Also, for everyone one of him there are three Andris Biedrens and Kirilenkos(sp). Durant is a very tall three man, similar to a Rashard Lewis. WJ is Kobe or Lebrons size without the strength. I don't think the two are similar.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I can appreciate all the support for MG, but come on.....Wesley is a better player, and head to head, I think he would do better than MG.

WJ is quicker and even more athletic than MG. MG is probably stronger, but that is about it. Stat-wise, they are about equal, but WJ is a much better shooter, percentage-wise. Also, he appears to be a much better defender. In 17 games, he has more than twice as many blocks as MG (33 to 16) and over 3 times as many steals (31 to 9).

It would be fun to watch, but I think WJ would be too quick and too athletic for MG, and I think he would get the ball away from him a few times.

Also, not that it makes a difference in a game situation, but WJ is a likely lottery pick this year. MG....hopefully at least a second round pick, or at least a free agent signing.

People forget how PERFECT Wes is for Syracuse's D and how poor he was at man-to-man defense at Iowa State, even prior to the injury. Wes has to use his length or otherwise he gets burned; he's athletic as hell but does not move well laterally. Again, he fits in perfect for the Orange. In our defensive scheme, not so much.

In a matchup head to head, I think Quez would be able to take it past Wes with solid success.

And I really don't think Wes is that much quicker than MG. And I still maintain that MG is a better ball handler.