I Can't Say I Disagree

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Couldn't really tell if the rivalry description was tongue in cheek, but if it was, it definitely describes our bitter rivalry against Missouri. Grrr, those Tigers make me so angry! I can't wait to see them play ISU again this year so that we can finally get our revenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Last edited:

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm just happy the dig at the end was aimed at Mizzou and not us. It's sad what qualifies as a small victory when you're talking about ISU and ESPN.

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
I didn't realize how streaky the ISU/MU series was. Looking at the picture, it seems like it went back and forth MU would win four or five, then ISU would win four or five.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
A better question is why don't we consider this a bigger rivalry. It has been pretty even over the years. It is a conference game. It is a border state. Are Iowa State fans that lame that the above combination isn't worth putting some importance on the game. Oh, I guess they aren't Iowa so nevermind.

Jun 14, 2010
A better question is why don't we consider this a bigger rivalry. It has been pretty even over the years. It is a conference game. It is a border state. Are Iowa State fans that lame that the above combination isn't worth putting some importance on the game. Oh, I guess they aren't Iowa so nevermind.

Besides the fact you love to take shots at ISU fans, why are the fans to blame?
It is not nature, it is nurture.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Besides the fact you love to take shots at ISU fans, why are the fans to blame?
It is not nature, it is nurture.

rivalries are between fanbases as much as teams. Looks to me like the teams have held their own and made it a pretty even rivalry. Yet, when we play mizzou, even for a north crown, we get empty apathetic stadium. who would you blame?

Jun 14, 2010
rivalries are between fanbases as much as teams. Looks to me like the teams have held their own and made it a pretty even rivalry. Yet, when we play mizzou, even for a north crown, we get empty apathetic stadium. who would you blame?

Again, fans are not born (nature) knowing who to hate. How do fans learn (nurture) who their rivals are?

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA

Missouri is in a great position to be a legit rivalry for us (conference, geography, etc.). But you're right. They're not Iowa.

I can't think of anytime I've heard "Go Tigers" in Ames outside of gameday against Mizzou. I'm not surrounded by taverntigers. Missouri sports aren't prominent in the local media. I haven't seen any b****ing on CF about Missouri airtime/coverage like I do with Iowa. Most of my fellow students are either from IA, IL, MN, or overseas, so I'm never around homegrown tiger fans. While my limited game-related encounters with Missouri fans have been poor (I'm not impressed at all with what I've seen so far from them), I'm not subjected to their behavior continually as I am Iowa fans.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Yeah these 2 are just hideous. I'm glad we don't have to have one on display in ISU's trophy case. :jimlad:
pg2_ap_ncaa_trophy1_400.jpg
pg2_g_trophey_sy_576.jpg

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Missouri fans could care less because we're not Kansas.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Telephone Trophy could probably be cool if they redid it. While I know we don't really have a rivalry with Missouri, Gary Pinkel has made me hate Missouri pretty bad.

We should get a company like Verizon (ok...not actually a telephone) to sponsor this game and the trophy.

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
The rubber band holding on the handset is a nice touch.

Stupid premise for a column. Has anyone been asking the question, "I wonder what trophies an ESPN intern doesn't like?"

While I agree that it is a stupid premise for a column, ESPN's Page 2 has been doing these types of columns for a while where they post something like this on Monday and ask for viewer suggestions and then do a re-write on Friday with "the nation's" worst trophies. These initial trophies we're likely included just to get the ball rolling.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Fun fact(s): Missouri football also competes for the Victory Bell (against Nebraska), the Peace Pipe (against Oklahoma), the Indian War Drum (against Kansas), the Lamar Hunt Trophy (also against Kansas) and the BCS National Championship trophy (just kidding).

best part of the whole article

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron