I have questions

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Saw this logo on a work van today.

mobilelogo.png

1. Does this company have to license the outline of the buzzard head from EIU?
  2. I love the lightning bolt shooting through the parrot's beak, but does this offend Hok fans who perceive it to be a depiction of their beloved mascot being electrocuted?
  3. Are these same fans confused by the lack of an eye in the chicken head when the company name has "eye" in it? Or, are the letters "E Y E" in "HAWKEYE" strategically positioned where the bird's eye should be as an intellectually sophisticated design element?
  4. Was this company name inspired by Brian Ferentz's dynamic offense?
I'll hang up and listen.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Saw this logo on a work van today.

mobilelogo.png

1. Does this company have to license the outline of the buzzard head from EIU?
  2. I love the lightning bolt shooting through the parrot's beak, but does this offend Hok fans who perceive it to be a depiction of their beloved mascot being electrocuted?
  3. Are these same fans confused by the lack of an eye in the chicken head when the company name has "eye" in it? Or, are the letters "E Y E" in "HAWKEYE" strategically positioned where the bird's eye should be as an intellectually sophisticated design element?
  4. Was this company name inspired by Brian Ferentz's dynamic offense?
I'll hang up and listen.

So I actually know that they do in fact have permission to use the logo and name.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We use them on our building at work. I hate the dumb name, but the elec system is very complex and they did all the work for the previous owners.
So they know it all well, do good work, and the guys that have come to do the work have been fine. Plus it seems super petty thing to worry about. Overall, bfd.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I wouldn’t use them personally due to the name (yes, I’m very petty) but I wouldn’t blame others if they used them. Yes, the logo is stupid AF, but anything Hawk related is bound to be. From my experience with ISU’s compliance and branding teams vs what I've heard about Iowa's, I know Iowa’s is incredibly lax in comparison.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
In my experience with 4-H'ers requesting permission to use/paint/draw. etc the Hawkeye logo, U of I folks are quite lenient and agreeable to such requests.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
From the Hawkeye Electric Employee Handbook:

Common terms you'll need to understand:

Distribution lines - the path of the football once it leaves Petras' hand, equivalent to three feet above the intended target

Blackout - the proper level of drunk you'll have to be once the offense steps on the field

Resistance - What you'll encounter once you announce the starting QB for the following week

Power - The force used to drive 99 yards while chewing up nearly 12 minutes of clock (see also: CYCLONE !)

Switch - A verb describing what you'll do to the channel after the O-line fails to generate any push yet again

Watt - What fans will yell after nearly every offensive play call.

Megawatt - What really drunk fans will yell after nearly every offensive play call.

Brownout - Brian Ferentz's instructions to the dry cleaner after shitting the bed each game

Current - adjective meaning existing at the present time ex- the Cyhawk trophy is in Ames at the current time

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I wouldn’t use them personally due to the name (yes, I’m very petty) but I wouldn’t blame others if they used them. Yes, the logo is stupid AF, but anything Hawk related is bound to be. From my experience with ISU’s compliance and branding teams vs what I've heard about Iowa's, I know Iowa’s is incredibly lax in comparison.
If you owned a portajohn company, I bet you’d consider slapping a tiger hawk on every one of them. (Of course then you’d have to deal with hawk fans going in there and thinking they can get laid so maybe that juice isn’t worth the squeeze)

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Speaking of copywrite infringement...This is from a brewery in southwest Washington. Looks just a little bit like a logo that most people from Iowa would recognize.

Dekalb hat

• Wow
Reactions: Acylum

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Bet this on in Chandler is living rent free. Someone should pass it on. Why would you do this in AZ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180529-200253.png
    Screenshot_20180529-200253.png
    964.9 KB · Views: 30

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
We use them on our building at work. I hate the dumb name, but the elec system is very complex and they did all the work for the previous owners.
So they know it all well, do good work, and the guys that have come to do the work have been fine. Plus it seems super petty thing to worry about. Overall, bfd.
Sounds like probably your best Hawkeye-related experience ever?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Same here.

I actually have a list of things that if are in a company name, logo or slogan then I won't use that company.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Sounds like probably your best Hawkeye-related experience ever?
Yeah, because the hawks never came up other than the name and logo l.

Altho i have an MBA from there and they sent us to Brasil for a week, so that was fun. But again no real HOX content there...