"I know a guy" horror stories

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You always hear people recommending different trades who do things on the side. I had a friend who "knew a guy" about 7 years ago when I needed a furnace. Worked for a company I'd heard of, and did stuff like this on the side for a lot cheaper.

Well........that furnace, now in my rental house, started sounding funny, so I had my furnace guy (a legitimate one) look at it. Turns out that this furnace, which is installed as a down draft furnace, is not actually made to do that. This clown installed it upside down, and it is a pretty serious fire hazard.

Now we're buying a new furnace to replace it.

Just a word to the wise when you find someone who "knows a guy".

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This is where my boss takes his car and our university vehicles to get "worked on":

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=30.645595°,+-96.382924°&pdl=300&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

No, that nice looking building to the north isn't the shop.

:facepalm:

Ouch....

That being said my parents don't exactly go to the first place most people in CR would go to but they have never screwed them over or done things wrong or had to do it again. So if anyone is looking for a couple honest good mechanics in the CR area let me know.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's been my experience that some of the better more honest mechanics are ones you actually wouldn't think are. Some of the "nice" places aren't all that honest. I will not take a vehicle to a chain auto service shop.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
It's been my experience that some of the better more honest mechanics are ones you actually wouldn't think are. Some of the "nice" places aren't all that honest. I will not take a vehicle to a chain auto service shop.

I agree but this guy is not the kind that fits that bill. He's not good.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant

I've had experiences where the guys at the big chain places, instead of cleaning/fixing a part simply tell you that a new one is needed. They have a huge markup on parts and it saves them time. If you are willing to buy a new part... why should they mess with it? However, I've seen in the small town shops that rely heavily on word-of-mouth, those guys will try to fix a part that really should just be replaced because its going to go bad soon enough. It's a toss up. I've learned that if you want to know a good repair shop, ask the guys at the local CO-OP.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
I have a hard time recommending certain people. I've put my neck out a couple of times that hasn't gone well. I make sure I tell that person whom I recommended too. I don't do it too often.