I know we've beaten a dead horse enough but just one more thing....

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Anybody remember this?

Griner Ejected After Punching Opponent - YouTube

Griner was only suspended 2 games for deliberately trying to take somebody's head off and still managed to be the media darling throughout her career. We all know it's ridiculous that BYU fans think Kane should be imprisoned for his incidental eye poke but thought this would be good if anybody needs some ammo against BYU or Iowa fans.

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Men should never hit women...what Griener did was just unacceptable.

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but that type of comment is really sexist and problematic. It helps reinforce the concept of a weak, subservient woman by mocking someone who has broken out of that role. Sorry, I just take issue with things like that.

Reactions: Judoka

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but that type of comment is really sexist and problematic. It helps reinforce the concept of a weak, subservient woman by mocking someone who has broken out of that role. Sorry, I just take issue with things like that.

That's got nothing to do with it...

[video=youtube;prn-caOIJ9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prn-caOIJ9s[/video]

Reactions: dinger

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

Plenty of good women athletes out there of all ranges in talent level and appearances. That being said...

Britney Griner = a man.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

By calling a woman a man, that reinforces the concept of a weak, subservient woman? Please, tell me more.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN

I agree with you a 100%. There have also been a lot of shots taken against Mormons this week. I guess a lot of posters don't realize Iowa State have fans who fall under that faith.

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Hilarious. I'm all about sensitivity and being pc but no harm in letting loose on a message board every now and then.

The audience for a joke does not effect whether or not a joke is problematic. The fact is, the joke was mocking a person for something completely outside of their control (appearance, sex, gender.) Gender stereotyping is a major problem in our society currently. I want to make it clear that I'm not in any way attacking anyone for making this joke. My goal is just to get you to think about the negative aspects of the joke and what stereotypes/gender rolls the joke enforces.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The audience for a joke does not effect whether or not a joke is problematic. The fact is, the joke was mocking a person for something completely outside of their control (appearance, sex, gender.) Gender stereotyping is a major problem in our society currently. I want to make it clear that I'm not in any way attacking anyone for making this joke. My goal is just to get you to think about the negative aspects of the joke and what stereotypes/gender rolls the joke enforces.

How do you turn a dishwasher into a snow blower?

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

that is why it is funny

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Except she hasn't "broken out of that role," she is just way bigger than anyone else on the floor and doesn't get called for fouls.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I think Justin Bieber is a girl and make jokes about her all the time. Tell me what negative effect that is having on prepubescent boy singers and the stigma society places on them. (can't just have it one way with BG and how she represents women.) Tell me how I am an awful and insensitive person now please. A girl happens to look like a guy, lighten up people...

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Sounds like a "you" problem. Griner has bigger balls then you.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think Justin Bieber is a girl and make jokes about her all the time. Tell me what negative effect that is having on prepubescent boy singers and the stigma society places on them. (can't just have it one way with BG and how she represents women.) Tell me how I am an awful and insensitive person now please. A girl happens to look like a guy, lighten up people...

I have man boobs...

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Except she hasn't "broken out of that role," she is just way bigger than anyone else on the floor and doesn't get called for fouls.

Yeah, I mistook the original intent as a dominance jab (ie, Giner is a man b/c she dominates the other players) rather than a joke about pure appearance.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah, I mistook the original intent as a dominance jab (ie, Giner is a man b/c she dominates the other players) rather than a joke about pure appearance.

Well, she would get smoked in the NBA, so it was kind of a dominance jab...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Ricky-Gervais-Licks-Man-Boobs.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron