I mean, he's kinda right...

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021

We're watching two rather mediocre teams (one of which is going to finish the season with a losing record) play in front of probably a rather small TV audience (that will likely grow only slightly near the end of the game) & a few thousand fans in the stands.

I know yesterday was probably a nice pay-day for Iowa State & smaller programs like us can definitely use that money, but all these bowls are getting ridiculous.

Covid doesn't help this year or last, but opt-outs, transfers, injuries & coaches leaving makes, especially these lower tier bowls, seem pretty pointless.

They even created a new bowl game this year just to make sure every six win team got to go to a bowl. Really?!

& now, at the end of this game, we're going to dump a tub of mayo on the head of a grown man who makes millions of dollars a year (likely the highest paid state employee of his respective state). That is some Idiocracy-level stuff right there...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

We're watching two rather mediocre teams (one of which is going to finish the season with a losing record) play in front of probably a rather small TV audience (that will likely grow only slightly near the end of the game) & a few thousand fans in the stands.

I know yesterday was probably a nice pay-day for Iowa State & smaller programs like us can definitely use that money, but all these bowls are getting ridiculous.

Covid doesn't help this year or last, but opt-outs, transfers, injuries & coaches leaving makes, especially these lower tier bowls, seem pretty pointless.

They even created a new bowl game this year just to make sure every six win team got to go to a bowl. Really?!

& now, at the end of this game, we're going to dump a tub of mayo on the head of a grown man who makes millions of dollars a year (likely the highest paid state employee of his respective state). That is some Idiocracy-level stuff right there...

Bowl season is pretty much an all out joke now. The teams that aren't in the playoff are a shell of themselves by the time the bowl happens and while it's a cool experience for them, if it weren't making people a lot of money, I'm not sure it exists.

Cut the season down to 10-11 games, keep the conference championship stuff, make it a 32 team playoff. If someone wants to create bowls for the other 40ish 6 win teams, whatever. I'm good watching a few more round of quality teams playing in games that actually mean something.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't know why they don't go further and put every team in one. ESPN could absolutely find sponsors and cities for them.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
People should be happy for all the bowls. It allows teams more practice time and more time to develop players. Schools with developmental football programs like ISU should be all about more bowls. Fewer means only the few invited get the extra practice time creating more distance between the haves and have nots. I can support the argument that some of the games are terrible but the benefit is what happens before the game is played.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There are a lot of years that I have watched several bowl games involving service academies and Big 12 teams and didn't watch the same old, same old national championship game.

Reactions: Jerms

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Imagine complaining about more football

This. What mysteries of the universe does Dennis Dodd and others who share his opinion need college football to solve for them? It's f*cking college football. I'll take as much as I can get. If it's lame, I'll turn it to LMN and watch a movie about a psycho mother-in-law. But most of the time it's not hard for me to get into a game. If the Duke's Mayo Bowl is beneath you, take the dog for a walk and stop b*tching just to try making yourself seem smarter.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

People watch them, like a lot of people. Playoff needs to expand and then the rest of the bowls just need to embrace the exhibition. Get weird with great matchups that got left behind due to conference realignment. Mizzou should’ve played a Big 8 team for example

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Some of you folks must like your families more than I do. I'd like to see 60 bowl games. Who cares if some of the games stink. Flip it to All My Children if the game makes you angry.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Bowls offer an excellent opportunity for players to showcase their talent to other parts of the country. Imagine if Jirehl had a big game, he might have gotten a sweet offer from Clemson.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Dodd seems to be conflating bowl relevance with a PR stunt. Not sure what intellectual argument he's trying to make but if he's saying a PR stunt makes bowls less/more relevant...he's wrong.

The debate was settled a long time ago. More Bowls = good. Perceived relevance isn't part of the equation.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Just don't watch them, like the dozens of games every week you don't watch during the regular season.

I never understood why people complain so much about all the bowl games. There is so much useless **** on TV that I never complain about, I just don’t watch it. No one is forcing anyone to watch bowl games. Hell, this argument never seems to come up in July for MLB, when over half the teams are already out of contention for the post season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron