I would appreciate suggestions on motels for the 2024 eclipse

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hotels in St. Louis the night before are still plentiful and cheap.

It's about a 2.5-hour drive from there to the best spots to watch in southeast Missouri.

Everybody should go. I'm not kidding.

Gonna be a long drive back, though. My wife had to drive from Bowling Green to Cincinnati and the various interstates up to Louisville and beyond were packed well into the middle of the night.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I drove out to Wyoming for the 2017 eclipse. Spent the night in Spearfish SD. Drove down to just north of Lusk Wy. Crystal clear skies and I think totality lasted about 2 minutes and it was well worth it. It's magical

Attachments

• Phase 10.jpg
    Phase 10.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 5

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
InCyte, not sure why you're saying TX or Mexico are the best places to observe?

Cape Girardeau, MO, will enjoy the eclipse for 4 minutes and 5 seconds. 10 miles west and you'll get it for 4 more seconds.

Mazatlán gets only 4 seconds more than that.

Fifty miles from Jacson, MO is Ste Genevieve, a teeny-tiny (but touristy) town south of St Louis, but had a marvelous stay once here:

Just in general the South tends to have less cloud cover. So more likely to be a clear day down in Texas and Mexico compared to the Midwest or New England area.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Just in general the South tends to have less cloud cover. So more likely to be a clear day down in Texas and Mexico compared to the Midwest or New England area.

Ah.

Cloud cover mizzou.jpg

Kerrville TX.jpg

I put Kerrville, TX, since it's one of the recommended viewing places for Texas (about 60 miles from San Antonio).

Reactions: interrobang

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Last time, we booked three different models with good cancellation policies well in advance so we had options based on the weather. This time, we have two booked.
What were they modeling? We talking swim suits, evening dresses or some of those Vicky models?

Kami6348

Aug 12, 2016
Much of west Texas is a dark sky area. Likely not a big factor for eclipse. I'd suggest Gage Hotel in Marathon. A dark sky community so lots of local interest in astronomy. Gage is a hotel designed by the Trost firm of El Paso.

Reactions: Turn2

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How upset are you guys going to be if it’s a rainy day? I would be a mess if I had prepared so long for something like this.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
How upset are you guys going to be if it’s a rainy day? I would be a mess if I had prepared so long for something like this.
That's why I drove to Wyoming in 2017. It was supposed to be rainy in Nebraska so I decided to make the drive where the forecast was better.
My mom and her sisters all got together in Charleston SC. But sadly it was overcast there.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
For the last one, we were living in Missouri so I went home from work, set up my lawn chair in the backyard and cracked open a beverage. Still have the glasses somewhere. It was pretty cool!

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
As I've told everyone I've talked to about that eclipse, it somehow looks exactly like you expect and nothing like you expect. It's an incredible experience. And this will be the last one in the continental US for over 20 years.

In 2017, we watched it in southern Illinois as we were driving from Iowa to Florida on vacation, so it wasn't out of the way. This time, we'll be driving specifically to see the eclipse.
Where in Southern Illinois? My wife and I spent a week touring her favorite historic sites in Kentucky and Tennessee ending with the eclipse at Cave-In-Rock State Park.

I think we stumbled into a super locale set on the bluffs overlooking the Ohio River. Eclipse moved some people to near tears as purple light bathed the scene. The total eclipse was magical, and highly recommended.

Reactions: matclone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Where in Southern Illinois? My wife and I spent a week touring her favorite historic sites in Kentucky and Tennessee ending with the eclipse at Cave-In-Rock State Park.

I think we stumbled into a super locale set on the bluffs overlooking the Ohio River. Eclipse moved some people to near tears as purple light bathed the scene. The total eclipse was magical, and highly recommended.

We were at Paul Ice Recreation Area near Carbondale. We found a nice open area without many people.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Take a look in Llano, Texas (while youre there eat at coopers).

Otherwise San Saba or Comanche should be basically in the middle of it, have some neat B&B and the people are pretty laid back. (Spent two years in San Angelo and the space between San Angelo and Austin is great. No need to go any further south than Fredericksburg though.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am currently planning to fly down to Carbondale as they are in the path again this time.