Iceland Trip

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
As long as we are going for recommendations---any recommendations for Iceland?

I'm going for 2 weeks in June. We are renting a car and doing the entire Ring Road. Other than a whale watching trip, we don't have anything planned. We hope to find things as we go. Anything we shouldn't miss?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I'm going for 2 weeks in June. We are renting a car and doing the entire Ring Road. Other than a whale watching trip, we don't have anything planned. We hope to find things as we go. Anything we shouldn't miss?

My sister went there in October (got engaged while she was there). The pictures she took are really cool. Now I want to go there.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

No clue about this, but if the Men’s soccer team happens to have a friendly or something during that time it would be incredible to go to an Iceland home game.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Definitely won't be as cold as Gary, Indiana after @CyPhallus gets carjacking and they take his Bears jacket and Jordan's.

• Haha
Reactions: jsb

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Depends on what you’re wanting to do from a physical standpoint. I went last June (the warmest it got was mid 50s at that time, and the sun will not fully set at all, so be prepared for that). But my trip was solely to hike. Some absolutely gorgeous places, but all of my faves took a bit of work to get to.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I will say, Icelanders are by far the nicest human beings I’ve ever come across. Icelandic is the main language, but they all speak English. Because I’m awkward, I had to learn how to express I can only speak English without coming off as rude, so whenever I walked into a gas station or anything as soon as I’d make eye contact with the clerk I’d say “Hello, how are you?!” just so they knew. There was a Skyr yogurt place across the street from my hotel I’d get a big yogurt from every morning before heading out to one of my hikes and we were pretty much best friends by the time I left.

Bring a little cash, but pretty much everywhere takes Apple Pay or card payments. Apple Pay is really big there. Beautiful, beautiful country and beautiful people. I loved my trip.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Depends on what you’re wanting to do from a physical standpoint. I went last June (the warmest it got was mid 50s at that time, and the sun will not fully set at all, so be prepared for that). But my trip was solely to hike. Some absolutely gorgeous places, but all of my faves took a bit of work to get to.

yeah, we are probably not looking for super technical hikes. I'm hoping for nice day hikes that are maybe long but not really ones where we are doing a lot of climbing.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I will say, Icelanders are by far the nicest human beings I’ve ever come across. Icelandic is the main language, but they all speak English. Because I’m awkward, I had to learn how to express I can only speak English without coming off as rude, so whenever I walked into a gas station or anything as soon as I’d make eye contact with the clerk I’d say “Hello, how are you?!” just so they knew. There was a Skyr yogurt place across the street from my hotel I’d get a big yogurt from every morning before heading out to one of my hikes and we were pretty much best friends by the time I left.

Bring a little cash, but pretty much everywhere takes Apple Pay or card payments. Apple Pay is really big there. Beautiful, beautiful country and beautiful people. I loved my trip.

Good to know on the friendly people. I've heard that. And ironically I did one of those dumb surveys about which country you should live in and my country was Iceland. So I expect to like it. I'm going with a friend with WILDLY different political views than me, so I'll be curious to see how she likes it.

Reactions: JP4CY

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Our oldest went 5 years ago,...Icelandic Air direct from DIA to Reykjavic.

Learned how to use a stick in the airport parking lot. Loved it.

Beautiful people and otherworldly land/seascapes. Ice and boiling earth.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
yeah, we are probably not looking for super technical hikes. I'm hoping for nice day hikes that are maybe long but not really ones where we are doing a lot of climbing.
If @ChrisMWilliams ever wanted to unthrottle my account, I’d post some pictures from my trip. The website just won’t hold up for me as is though.

Feel free to check out my Instagram though, I posted a ton of pictures on there. You can PM me and I’ll get you the link it it’s anything you’re interested in.

Otherwise Skogafoss you climb a ton of stairs right at the start of the walk because it starts at the base of a massive waterfall, but when you get to the top it’s a virtually flat walk. Was pretty cool. It’s like, a 4 mile in and out trail that just follows the river and there’s something like 27 waterfalls in that 4 mile trail. I was wearing my ISU hat that day and ironically ran into a couple there that had just graduated from Iowa State and recently moved to Colorado.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Our oldest went 5 years ago,...Icelandic Air direct from DIA to Reykjavic.

Learned how to use a stick in the airport parking lot. Loved it.

Beautiful people and otherworldly land/seascapes. Ice and boiling earth.
Oh yeah, almost all of their cars are stick, so if you can’t drive a stick shift, make sure you specify you need an automatic when you reserve your car. It’ll also cost you more.

You also drive slower out there because there’s a legitimate risk of coming across sheep and cattle pretty much everywhere.

CyclonimusPrime

Aug 18, 2021
Ames
I went a few years back. Diamond beach is a must! In addition, we went snorkeling in melted glacier water in the national park. It was incredible!

Reactions: CyDude16

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Good to know on the friendly people. I've heard that. And ironically I did one of those dumb surveys about which country you should live in and my country was Iceland. So I expect to like it. I'm going with a friend with WILDLY different political views than me, so I'll be curious to see how she likes it.
What does political views have to do with anything?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

I’ve been four times. Twice were 30 hour layovers to explore, once for a week, and the last time for three weeks. PM if you’d like and I can share my itinerary/stops & stuff to see.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If @ChrisMWilliams ever wanted to unthrottle my account, I’d post some pictures from my trip. The website just won’t hold up for me as is though.

Feel free to check out my Instagram though, I posted a ton of pictures on there. You can PM me and I’ll get you the link it it’s anything you’re interested in.

Otherwise Skogafoss you climb a ton of stairs right at the start of the walk because it starts at the base of a massive waterfall, but when you get to the top it’s a virtually flat walk. Was pretty cool. It’s like, a 4 mile in and out trail that just follows the river and there’s something like 27 waterfalls in that 4 mile trail. I was wearing my ISU hat that day and ironically ran into a couple there that had just graduated from Iowa State and recently moved to Colorado.

Dude hit me up, I didn't realize you were a 30 something woman on insta. I'll check out all your pics and you can see all my workout challenges and political activism. Very niche community I'm building :p

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Oh yeah, almost all of their cars are stick, so if you can’t drive a stick shift, make sure you specify you need an automatic when you reserve your car. It’ll also cost you more.

You also drive slower out there because there’s a legitimate risk of coming across sheep and cattle pretty much everywhere.

The one lane bridges and roundabouts everywhere are real fun lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron