IDEA: Iowa Craft Beer Tent set up at Football Gamedays

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I've been to the Iowa Craft Beer Tent at the Iowa State Fair quite a few times and absolutely love it. As a precursor to our eventual entertainment district, setting up the Iowa Craft Beer Tent (similar to what they do at the fair) would be incredible at some home football games, UNI and Iowa in particular.

beer2.jpg
craftbeertent-620x350.jpg

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This would be an awesome idea. However, I would fear about the amount of underage drinking that would occur at such a thing on a college campus. Probably the reason why something like this wouldn't happen.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I'm sold.

IIRC (maybe I was just wishfully thinking while tipsy) haven't they usually had a sponsored tent on gamedays, just not an actual beer tent setup?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This would be an awesome idea. However, I would fear about the amount of underage drinking that would occur at such a thing on a college campus. Probably the reason why something like this wouldn't happen.

You realize that this will contribute almost nothing to the already rampant underage drinking that happens on ISU's campus every single day, right?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Have a different brewery do a special release for each home game. That would be dope.

Yup.

Highlight ones with Cyclone connections too. Obviously Alluvial and Torrent are no brainers, but outside of that I know of at least 3 here in northern Iowa (Pulpit Rock, Pivo in Calmar, and Limestone in Osage) that have ISU alumni brewers/owners. I'm sure there are others around the state.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Who would hold the liquor license and DRAM for it? If it was on private property somewhere it would be easy. Not sure how to go about it on campus property.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Who would hold the liquor license and DRAM for it? If it was on private property somewhere it would be easy. Not sure how to go about it on campus property.
we did a banquet for the FD here in the community center and the local bar/grill did the liquor license for the night, and we split the sales with them. might be possible?? but I'm sure the CBA has their own.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Since everyone loves craft beer, it’s worth mentioning that Alluvial is a great stop before games as well. The calm before the storm that is tailgating.

Reactions: DFWClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Since everyone loves craft beer, it’s worth mentioning that Alluvial is a great stop before games as well. The calm before the storm that is tailgating.

Not an option for 11AM games though.

We have a tradition of going to the home opener (wife is a UNI alum and it's almost always them) and hitting Alluvial on Friday night before checking into our hotel. Since we live in northern Iowa, it's right on the way.

With the exception of the obligatory Tip Top pilgrimage, Saturday is all about tailgating.