If ISU is giving up its Neb/Colo departure money

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
can we at least ensure that some of the proceeds will be used to get that mole removed from Dan Beebe's cheek? My goodness.

C

Cyclone42

can we at least ensure that some of the proceeds will be used to get that mole removed from Dan Beebe's cheek? My goodness.

I am missing something here. Exactly WHY are we giving up that money? I've caught on on messages posted today, but I haven't been able to figure out why we did that. I gather that it had something to do with keeping the conference together, but I don't get the connection. Why would us (and other schools) giving up the Nebraska/Colorado departure fees help hold the conference together? It doesn't make sense.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I am missing something here. Exactly WHY are we giving up that money? I've caught on on messages posted today, but I haven't been able to figure out why we did that. I gather that it had something to do with keeping the conference together, but I don't get the connection. Why would us (and other schools) giving up the Nebraska/Colorado departure fees help hold the conference together? It doesn't make sense.

but we aren't . . .

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

Dan Beebe said during his teleconference the 5 remaining schools were willing to give up part of their portions to OU, TAMU, TX to entice them to stay in the Big 12.

Nowhere has anyone said that's a done deal. Beebe also said in the teleconference that TX had said they appreciated that offer but aren't really interested in that.

GG and JP said that offer wasn't really the case and they didn't really know what that was referencing.

At this point it seems that either Beebe mispoke, or it was an offer that was declined.

As of now though there is no official word that this is true, or any clarification of what was actually offered.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
If UT declined the money, I am going out and buying some burnt orange gear. That is a classy move.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
So completely unexpected. And uncharacteristic. Of Texas, not you.

maybe this was a little ingenious move by the "Fab 5" to embarrass Texas and show them just how unequal this really is and make them look even worse or maybe it was the kind of deal where Texas came out in support and the Fab 5 through this on the table to ensure A&M didn't go SEC or maybe its all BS? Hard to believe all BS though since the commish reported on it.

Classy Texas is not nor is any of this process, the intentional leaks, the manuevering, manipulating, none of it was classy.

Matt92x

Dec 19, 2009
Rochester, MN

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Could Texas and the others be doing this because those exit fees are supposed to be paid to the "remaining Conference Members"? And if they were not shared equally, the Cornhuskers might have a legal argument for non-payment?

IDK. But that would be the only reason I could see for Texas turning down money. If it means sticking it to Big Red. :yes:

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So thats $2mill per team, correct?

If so, i'm ecstatic with how this went down.

The actual figure can't be accurately calculated until the teams leave. It's based on how much conference revenue the departing teams earn their last 2 years in the Big 12.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What it sounds like to me, going back to 1994 or so, is the only working relationship Texas had with the northern schools was with Nebraska. In fact, it sounds like they've practically been bed-buddies for 15 years. Together they ruled the Big 12, Nebraska basically being the voice for the entire North. Without warning Nebraska packs up and leaves the conference, and Texas is convinced the conference is dead because they have no working relationship with anyone else in the North. Is that their fault? Of course - they should have been working with us all along instead of just masquerading around with Nebraska. However, because Texas has no history with working with us, they feel that the remaining North schools aren't going to want to work with them now - thus "The Big 12 is dead." Yeah, each of the four schools had individually petitioned Texas to reconsider leaving the conference, but each school did so with the assumption that Texas was already out the door.

When the North schools + Baylor came together and offered the deal that they did, despite the absolute mistrust of the South schools, especially Texas, it showed Texas that the North schools were actually willing to work with them to hold the conference together. It also certainly didn't help matters that Texas was going to be the bad guy in all of this in killing the Big 12 and a 100-year old rivalry with A&M. Suddenly Texas is just happy that the North schools, who historically have never worked with them, are willing to work with them to save the conference, and while they didn't necessarily want all of the buyout money to themselves, it was the goodwill offering that proved to Texas that the North schools + Baylor were serious about it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron