If you were wearing the shoes of the U of Texas

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
wouldn't you demand as much as you could get?

Texas had a lot of options and they played their suitors for the best possible outcome. ISU didn't have to agree to the terms but they did.

Reactions: Spursfan11

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Texas had a lot of options and they played their suitors for the best possible outcome. ISU didn't have to agree to the terms but they did.

I disagree. Or at least I disagree in so far as we wanted to remain relevant to college athletics and this was basically the only way to accomplish that.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
We are fine. What we should do is only schedule Iowa every third year, and every year we play the worst IAA school we can find. Then, we put in the time and money and get competitive in the bigXII. Doesn't mean we will get a 50/50 record against texas. But We should be able to compete well with Mizzou, KU, KSU, OSU, and Baylor...and hopefully Tech now that Leach is gone. Playing OU, Texas, and ATM is no different than Washington playing USC, Oregon, and ASU every year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We are fine. What we should do is only schedule Iowa every third year, and every year we play the worst IAA school we can find.

Paul Rhoads would never stay here if we play Iowa "every third year."
He and his staff have to walk into high schools in the state and recruit against the Hawks. We would be frikkin' UNI in recruits' eyes if we ever back away from playing Iowa.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Alaska Guy -- I do not disagree with you. However, "absolute power corrupts absolutely." Rules need to be put in place by our elected officials and the NCAA to prohibit their absolute power. Easier said than done but it needs to be done.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
He and his staff have to walk into high schools in the state and recruit against the Hawks. We would be frikkin' UNI in recruits' eyes if we ever back away from playing Iowa.
I would hope that the number one objective for Paul Rhoads is to win as many conference games as possible as to be bowl eligible. Defeating Iowa should not rank compared to being bowl eligible.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

We need to focus on getting good recruits from Texas since we will be spending a lot of time playing down there.

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
I would hope that the number one objective for Paul Rhoads is to win as many conference games as possible as to be bowl eligible. Defeating Iowa should not rank compared to being bowl eligible.[/QUOTE]

Do you live in Alaska or do you live in Iowa?

Because your statement is not indicative of someone who bleeds and breathes Cardinal & Gold and has to put up with the Squakeyes.

I agree that getting bowl eligible is the present goal (just an intermediate goal in my book), but you have downplayed the importance of beating Iowa.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I tend to look at it this way:

The Big 10 markets their conference as a product and use their universities to support that product.
Texas wants to market their university as a product and use the Big XII conference to support that product.

Is the F150 such a good seller because it has the Ford name on it? Or, is Ford a successfull company only because of the F150?

I wonder if Texas may end up like Boise State in the WAC.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We need to focus on getting good recruits from Texas since we will be spending a lot of time playing down there.

That's fine, I respect your opinion - just sayin' that if you email or ask CPR in person if he'd like to play Iowa just once every three years, I'd bet my house on what his answer would be. And he has the most at stake...

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I would hope that the number one objective for Paul Rhoads is to win as many conference games as possible as to be bowl eligible. Defeating Iowa should not rank compared to being bowl eligible.[/QUOTE]

Do you live in Alaska or do you live in Iowa?

Because your statement is not indicative of someone who bleeds and breathes Cardinal & Gold and has to put up with the Squakeyes.

I agree that getting bowl eligible is the present goal (just an intermediate goal in my book), but you have downplayed the importance of beating Iowa.
I don't live in either Iowa or Alaska.

If defeating Iowa makes or breaks your season you have set a low bar for performance. Nebraska was smart enough to give up major rivalries in the expectation that it will improve their overall standing. ISU should not be so foolish that they over emphasize the rivalry with Iowa at the expense of bigger and far more significant objectives.

cdrake

Jun 15, 2010
We are fine. What we should do is only schedule Iowa every third year, and every year we play the worst IAA school we can find. Then, we put in the time and money and get competitive in the bigXII. Doesn't mean we will get a 50/50 record against texas. But We should be able to compete well with Mizzou, KU, KSU, OSU, and Baylor...and hopefully Tech now that Leach is gone. Playing OU, Texas, and ATM is no different than Washington playing USC, Oregon, and ASU every year.

If I'm not mistaken State is required by Iowa law to play iowa every year. It was the legislature that pushed the idea in the 70's when iowa was struggling and State was coming off the Earle Bruce years.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA

If defeating Iowa makes or breaks your season you have set a low bar for performance. Nebraska was smart enough to give up major rivalries in the expectation that it will improve their overall standing. ISU should not be so foolish that they over emphasize the rivalry with Iowa at the expense of bigger and far more significant objectives.

I don't think anyone said it makes or breaks the season. But I do believe it has more importance than any other single game. Obviously winning the Big XII would be vastly more important than beating Iowa, but that is spread out over many games, and you don't necessarily have to win each one.

I'm a firm believer that you need to pick up quality in state recruits, because they're the ones that really have the fire to make the team succeed. Out of state recruits can feed off of that fire. Given that Iowa only produces so many D-1 level football players, we need to pull as many away from Iowa as we can.

I don't think it is a coincidence that our football team showed the greatest improvement while Iowa was down in the last year of Hayden Fry and the first few years of Ferentz.

Reactions: Tornado man

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames

Didn't say it makes or breaks the season.

At the beginning of the season there should be goals - several goals, not just one or two - "Beat Iowa" is a required entry on that goal list.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

I will put this in golf terms since I am a golfer. :biggrin:

I have a golf group at my local course and say we play 18 holes every weekend and everyone throws in $100 winner take all for lowest scratch score. The green fees are $100 on top of that. In the interest of fairness I make the other 4 guys from the group split and pay my green fees for me every week and then before we tee off I go through their golf bags and remove all of their clubs except for their pitching wedge and their putter. Keep in mind I get to use all of my clubs too. Now I am only doing all of that in the "interest" of being fair and giving everyone a chance to play in my group. Sounds about right?

Who wants to sign up to play in my Sunday golf group? :jimlad:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Alaska Guy -- I do not disagree with you. However, "absolute power corrupts absolutely." Rules need to be put in place by our elected officials and the NCAA to prohibit their absolute power. Easier said than done but it needs to be done.
Congress will fix this by 2025.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I will put this in golf terms since I am a golfer. :biggrin:

I have a golf group at my local course and say we play 18 holes every weekend and everyone throws in $100 winner take all for lowest scratch score. The green fees are $100 on top of that. In the interest of fairness I make the other 4 guys from the group split and pay my green fees for me every week and then before we tee off I go through their golf bags and remove all of their clubs except for their pitching wedge and their putter. Keep in mind I get to use all of my clubs too. Now I am only doing all of that in the "interest" of being fair and giving everyone a chance to play in my group. Sounds about right?

Who wants to sign up to play in my Sunday golf group? :jimlad:

This is football and Texas :mask:rules.:jimlad: