Ignoring other posters and emojis

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I have no idea on the technical capabilities of the forum softwares, but maybe after a certain number of dumbs you get an automatic 4-hour time out or something. That would discourage the trolls who just want to provoke a reaction and don't care about collecting dumbs.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Perhaps 'notification' is a phone function? Since I don't use a phone, I was referring to the little bell icon "alert", upper right of laptop page. If you ignore someone, then they dumb you later, it does show up on that alert. This is what I was talking about in the OP.

They are "notifications" on Farcebook and the Tweeterverse. Here, I guess the bell is called "Alerts".

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
@t-noah, I didn't get an alert that you dumbed my post. It did show up in my reactions received, but I really had to go digging for it
Good to know. Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. I think that's what I'm finding also.

The reason I started the thread was that I didn't think this was so, and another poster had told me that a person on ignore can still dumb you. What we have found, is that it (CF) is good the way it is. Sure they could make a few more tweaks, I suppose, to further curtail the en masse dumbing that sometimes occurs. But CF is good and remains good.

Thx for your experiment.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Oh no, the critical holy observer has arrived, see OP post #1. I wonder how many of mine he will get. And you know what?

I don't care. LOL!

• Dumb
Reactions: NateTheBoss

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
There are some posters who knows everyone ignores them because they are scum, and I think that makes them hit dumb/disagree reactions even more because it's the only way they can interact.
In all my time here, I haven’t actually “ignored” anyone. Because mostly everyone says something worth listening to…every once in a while.
I tend to put people that dumb a lot of posts on ignore, whether they are dumbing me or someone else. You can disagree without being disrespectful. All the discussions on sensitive topics could be more tolerable if people respected the opinions that differed from theirs, but that is not the world in which we live.
To be fair, I’ve started rethinking my own use of “Dumb”, and trying to go more with “Disagree”. In part because some people “Dumb” my own posts, including ones that are simple statements of rather neutral facts—and I have zero idea what they are dumbing it for.

That said, I will likely continue “dumbing” posts that are very disrespectful of our players or staff.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
You actually get worked up over somebody dumbing your posts?
Personally I just think the dumb button is lazy…and I lose respect for that person. If you disagree with someone’s post that much, tell them why. That’s the whole point of discussion boards. People have different opinions and share them. If you can’t handle a different opinion, go talk to your dog.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Personally I just think the dumb button is lazy…and I lose respect for that person. If you disagree with someone’s post that much, tell them why. That’s the whole point of discussion boards. People have different opinions and share them. If you can’t handle a different opinion, go talk to your dog.

That wasn't the point of my question. I'm sure a lot of my posts have had dumb symbols below them. I don't really know. I guess I don't pay too much attention to it.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
That wasn't the point of my question. I'm sure a lot of my posts have had dumb symbols below them. I don't really know. I guess I don't pay too much attention to it.
I wasn’t exactly responding to you personally. I just didn’t go back to find one that was closer tied to what I was thinking after looking through the thread.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If someone one your ignore list dumbs you (so you don’t get the notification), do you really notice it? I do end up seeing the “dumbs” if someone else responds to my message but I don’t really notice. If they make a way where it doesn’t show up at all, great, but I think the current website does a good job of helping you tune out the people on ignore.

In terms of the dumb button in general, I do use it quite a bit, but would be fine with it going away. At the same time, is it that much more negative than saying you dislike someone’s post, that they’re naive, or that they’re a tool (dislike, optimistic, and useful respectively)?
Some people take it pretty serious. I usually only use the dumb button if I feel someone is being obtuse or just obnoxious.