Illinois fans

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Out here in Boston.

They were fun to have around and no one was being douchey, just good natured ribbing and laughter pregame plus they had a pretty good turnout.

Also compared to Miami and UConn fans in our last two Sweet Sixteen losses they were very gracious in victory.

No getting in our faces and laughing and **** talking after the victory. Lots of "good games" and pats on the shoulder. So I respect the heck out them.

Will be rooting for them tomorrow.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was impressed with their fan base. Didn’t have one bad interaction with a fan online.
Yeah, I haven't either. I don't seek out other fan bases, but the bad ones kinda just find you, you know? Haven't seen much other than maybe a Big 10 > Big 12 meme on Iowa State basketball's game final tweet.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Living in Illinois it is very strange. You know there are a bunch of alums walking around, but they don't wear a lot of Illini gear and don't seem to have very much pride. They are definitely private fans and not douchers.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
They seem like a pretty good group.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not surprised. There are more similarities in our programs than might be obvious. Both have ups and downs, have some advantages and disadvantages, and have gone through a fair number of coaches and turnover. Expectations at both places are fairly well in check so the fans are mostly down to earth with reality.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I think many people immediately think "Chicago" when they think of U of I when it's a land-grant public university with an ag college that is triangulated by Chicago, Indy and St Louis.
Iowa and Notre Dame both come to my head when thinking about a school and Chicago ties over Illinois, probably the ag piece.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
As someone who has a lot of Illinois alums in our family and cheered for Illinois growing up, my perception is that most of the nicer Chicago folks went to Illinois and many of the douchy ones went to Iowa. Obviously a broad generalization, but it seems to track with my experience as an adult too.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It's only a matter of time before you will hear "go hawks." Those douches are everywhere.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Our programs are similar in many ways and...iowa :D. And you guys have been incredibly gracious so I am on the ISU train from here on out...so that is cool.
How you all feeling about tomorrow against the Huskies? What’s the general consensus from the Illini faithful?