Illinois matchup

Oct 30, 2023
I have to admit, Illinois really, really scares me. In watching their game live yesterday, their players looked really long and athletic. Shannon is a beast and containing him will be difficult. He is a first round NBA pick and possibly a lottery player. Shannon was also routinely defending Duquesne’s guards at the top of the key. His length and athleticism made it very difficult for Duquesne’s guards to penetrate and pass the ball.

The Illinois fan who I sat next to stated that the team is playing as good as it has all year long. He stated that their Achilles heal is defense. They want to play up tempo and simply outscore you. However, the fan stated that the team has stepped up its defensive intensity since the start of the Big10 tournament. This was very apparent last night.

Hope TJ can get the team up and create lots of turnovers. Points off turnovers is the key for winning the game. Go Cyclones!
We've struggled with stopping teams that get into a rhythm.. I can see Rob and Ward having a good night against us if you can feed them and back us down... on the flip side we've been good at attriting teams by making them foul and getting guys out of the game.

Honestly Indiana stands out as a game where we got frustrated the whole time. I don't think turnovers will be a giant problem for us, but we could get in a slump if you keep hitting shots and forcing us to play low tempo half-court game.

Reactions: fsanford
Oct 30, 2023
Matchups like this is part of why we love March Madness. Part of why I didn't want BYU is because I've seen that game twice, I want to see something new. Two different styles, should be fun to watch. Kind of sucks the winner likely plays UConn in their backyard.
Yea.. would love Northwestern to clear the deck for us but I also just don't want to see those dorks again (you'd crush them)

Reactions: ClonerJams

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Trying to score 80 on us is not a recipe for success. Only two teams have done it and that was early in the year. To beat ISU you need to make it a rock fight and match our defensive intensity. Either force turnovers or get lots of offensive rebounds to create extra possessions. Illinois is a decent offensive rebounding team and they might have to hit those hard to make up for their lackluster D.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I hope our guys tour. The United States is the product of the Enlightenment, not Bunkers Hill but Breeds Hill was the focal point of the battle between colonial citizens and the British power which ruled the world.

We beat the **** out of the Brits until we ran out of powder/ammunition. Here is one of our great American heroes that few of us know about: Joseph Warren.

Really, I'm curious, how many of you here on this forum know about the heroism of Warren. I don't ask to condemn, I'm curious about how little our traditions spread among our citizenry.

He surrendered his life in June 1775. He was 34 years old.

I had not heard of him; thanks for the info.

Reactions: CyValley

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Per Barttorvik Illinois is 360th in the country in forcing turnovers. To counter that they're very good at offensive rebounding - top 20. So they get some extra possessions in their own way, but it'd be surprising if our guys ended up with double digit turnovers.

They were able to dictate tempo against Duquesne which was surprising after the way Duquesne controlled the BYU game tempo. A lot of conflicting information in this one makes it maybe the most fascinating matchup of the whole tournament.
I think that’s one of the keys for the game. Limit Illinois’ second chance points and I really like our chances. Great way to prohibit the second chance points is forcing turnovers :)

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think Illinois fans fancy themselves elite but national media may recognize them as the most underachieving program given the talent in their backyard.

I was surprised it's been almost 20 years since their last Sweet 16.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think Illinois fans fancy themselves elite but national media may recognize them as the most underachieving program given the talent in their backyard.

Since the late 80's early 90's Illinois has had issues locking down Chicago talent for some reason, minus the 2005 team. If they locked down Chicago they would contend every year.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Illinois scares the bejeebers outta me.
Latex house paint scares the bejeebers out of you. Fluffy bunnies scare the bejeebers out of you. You expect to draw a SWAC team in the Sweet 16? Come on man, grow a pair. ISU is the number 2 freaking defense. Sure they can lose, but the team that blew out Houston should not fear anyone from the B1G. Strength on strength and let's see what happens.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
anyone using Illinois versus the 6th best team in the A10 as any kind of litmus test against us should stop.

There are plenty of other games of theirs to go back and dissect that would be more representative.
but that 6th best team in the A10 beat the one team in the Big 12 that many feel is ISUs kryptonite. Then Illinois went on to destroy them, so that is concerning.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Since the late 80's early 90's Illinois has had issues locking down Chicago talent for some reason, minus the 2005 team. If they locked down Chicago they would contend every year.
Before Underwood, they didn't have great coaches there for a while. Also before NIL Chicago recruiting was notoriously dirty.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Illinois should be a power in both football and basketball, the amount of talent in the state and along its borders is as good as anybody not in Texas, Florida or California, but they cannot find the right coach to tap into that talent. They are the main public university in the state, and it's gotten them nowhere for generations.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu